    buy a legit copy. Can I just change the key to t he new one I buy OR will I
    have to do a complete reinstall of XP?

    Thanks

    Kevin M, May 4, 2006

  2. Kevin M

    Kevin Guest

    "Kevin M" <> wrote in message
    news:Ftc6g.82$...
    >I purchased a used PC with Windows XP Pro. While trying to do updates
    >recently, I was told by Microsoft that I had an illegal copy of XP. I will
    >buy a legit copy. Can I just change the key to t he new one I buy OR will I
    >have to do a complete reinstall of XP?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hold on a second! Before you go purchasing a copy of Windows XP
    Professional, are you absolutely sure Microsoft identified your copy as
    "illegal"? Have you called Microsoft and read off the Product ID Code to
    them?

    Kevin, May 4, 2006

  3. Kevin wrote:
    > "Kevin M" <> wrote in message
    >> I purchased a used PC with Windows XP Pro. While trying to do updates
    >> recently, I was told by Microsoft that I had an illegal copy of XP. I will
    >> buy a legit copy. Can I just change the key to t he new one I buy OR will I
    >> have to do a complete reinstall of XP?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Hold on a second! Before you go purchasing a copy of Windows XP
    > Professional, are you absolutely sure Microsoft identified your copy as
    > "illegal"? Have you called Microsoft and read off the Product ID Code to
    > them?

    good point there are many cases where the Windows Genuine Advantage
    software gives false positives on a perfectly legit OS.

    Ian Ozenthroat, May 4, 2006
  4. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    No, but the original owner told me (after the fact) that is was a "corp"
    version of XP. I don't mind buying a legit copy, but I just don't want to
    reinstall XP if possible. I found a utility which will allow me to change
    the product key. I was hopeing that I caould just change the product key to
    the legit key I purchase?

    Thanks

    Kevin M, May 4, 2006
  5. Kevin M

    JD Guest

    Kevin M wrote:
    > No, but the original owner told me (after the fact) that is was a "corp"
    > version of XP. I don't mind buying a legit copy, but I just don't want to
    > reinstall XP if possible. I found a utility which will allow me to change
    > the product key. I was hopeing that I caould just change the product key to
    > the legit key I purchase?
    >
    > Thanks

    How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a computer that is
    running Windows XP SP1 and later versions of Windows XP.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874

    JD

    JD, May 4, 2006
  6. Kevin M

    bambam Guest

    "Kevin M" <> wrote in news:Ftc6g.82$:

    > I purchased a used PC with Windows XP Pro. While trying to do updates
    > recently, I was told by Microsoft that I had an illegal copy of XP. I
    > will buy a legit copy. Can I just change the key to t he new one I buy
    > OR will I have to do a complete reinstall of XP?

    This program will help you change your product key-

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/RockXP.shtml

    bambam, May 4, 2006