    illegal path-length on a hierachy on a Hard Drive? I am using XP.
    TIA
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Sep 28, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    Harry Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a method, utility, or program that will check for
    > illegal path-length on a hierachy on a Hard Drive? I am using XP.
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    find path | awk 'length($0)>255{print $0}'

    Harry, Sep 28, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    Adam Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 00:28:26 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a method, utility, or program that will check for
    >illegal path-length on a hierachy on a Hard Drive? I am using XP.

    Brian - isn't there something called "Robocopy"? I think it's an MS
    tool <??>. Try Googling around.

    Try this: http://tinyurl.com/d4qq9

    This is the page for Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools - that has
    rbtools - a 12Mb archive of goodies, with Robocopy amongst them:
    http://tinyurl.com/6p6cy

    or this: http://tinyurl.com/7zvtp

    Or else something called XXCopy:
    http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

    Adam.

    Adam, Sep 28, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    Adam Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 00:28:26 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a method, utility, or program that will check for
    >illegal path-length on a hierachy on a Hard Drive? I am using XP.

    Robocopy:

    · Copy very long path names (longer that 256 characters).
    Previous versions of Robocopy would fail to copy any pathname longer
    than 256 characters. The program has now been enhanced to handle
    pathnames of any length, up to the internal Windows limit of nearly
    32,000 characters.

    Check your e-mail :)

    Adam.

    Adam, Sep 28, 2005