    anna scott Guest

    which newsgroups are illeagal so i can advoid them. also if they are
    indeed illeagal why are they on here?
    anna scott, Oct 18, 2004

  2. anna scott

    Conor Guest

    In article <1098129056.gwfdF68Kxyf1Yg1mKQjRPA@teranews>, anna scott
    says...
    > which newsgroups are illeagal so i can advoid them. also if they are
    > indeed illeagal why are they on here?

    Non of the newsgroups are illegal, some of the content is although what
    is illegal depends on the country you're in.

    They are on here because the net is worldwide and still free.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.
    Conor, Oct 18, 2004

  3. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    18 Oct 2004 19:50:56 GMT, anna scott <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >which newsgroups are illeagal so i can advoid them. also if they are
    >indeed illeagal why are they on here?

    They are all "illeagal" and you are now a criminal

    Did that help?
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Oct 18, 2004
  4. "Conor" <> wrote...
    anna scott says...
    > > which newsgroups are illeagal so i can advoid them. also if they are
    > > indeed illeagal why are they on here?
    > >

    > Non of the newsgroups are illegal, some of the content is although what
    > is illegal depends on the country you're in.

    Agreed no newsgroup is illegal. Although rest assured the Partriot Act will
    no doubt criminalise some groups at some stage ... Awww poor USA.

    > They are on here because the net is worldwide and still free.

    The net is free!? Where?
    The Net hasn't been free in the UK for a number of years but do remember
    fondly those days of free dial up and even ISDN.
    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 18, 2004
  5. anna scott

    Frank.b Guest

    anna scott gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > which newsgroups are illeagal so i can advoid them. also if they are
    > indeed illeagal why are they on here?

    LOL! Please don't make it yourself so complicated, there is no such thing as
    illegal newsfroups.
    Some people hope their newsgroup will stay 'moderated' as described in their
    respective FAQ. You can find them in news://alt.config .
    It might give you an idea about why a newsgroup is proposed, accepted and
    set up and what happens with it afterwards.
    Enjoy!
    --
    "All the work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"
    Frank.b, Oct 18, 2004
  6. anna scott

    Joel Rubin Guest

    wrote:

    >which newsgroups are illeagal so i can advoid them. also if they are
    >indeed illeagal why are they on here?

    Of course, it depends on where you are. If you live in a dictatorship,
    newsgroup postings which criticize the leader may be illegal.

    A lot of the binary newsgroups may contain copyrighted material
    without the permission of the owner of the copyright.

    MP3 newsgroups may contain copyrighted music, "warez" newsgroups may
    contain copyrighted software, "cracks" groups may contain information
    on how to circumvent copyrights which may or may not be illegal
    depending on your local law.

    There are a few newsgroups which, from their title, might contain
    illegal pornography (e.g. "kiddie porn") again depending on where you
    live.

    Before you throw a fit learn to read headers and be sceptical. Most
    email and postings about kiddie porn are forgeries and are REALLY
    about hurting the alleged sender.
    Joel Rubin, Oct 18, 2004
  7. Frank.b wrote:
    > anna scott gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >>which newsgroups are illeagal so i can advoid them. also if they are
    >>indeed illeagal why are they on here?

    > LOL! Please don't make it yourself so complicated, there is no such thing as
    > illegal newsfroups.
    > Some people hope their newsgroup will stay 'moderated' as described in their
    > respective FAQ. You can find them in news://alt.config .
    > It might give you an idea about why a newsgroup is proposed, accepted and
    > set up and what happens with it afterwards.
    > Enjoy!

    You might like to remove the word "the" from your sig.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Oct 18, 2004
  8. anna scott

    Frank.b Guest

    Brian H¹© gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > You might like to remove the word "the" from your sig.

    I changed it into Latin, or am i even more ridicule now ?
    :)
    --
    "Orbem omni quod nunc lacsivio facit Jack stolidus "
    Frank.b, Oct 18, 2004
  9. anna scott

    Frank.b Guest

    David Qunt gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Frank.b" <> squirted these wordjisms deep inside the
    > bumtube of the newstwat in news:cl1c2o$kij$:
    >
    >> anna scott gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> which newsgroups are illeagal so i can advoid them. also if they are
    >>> indeed illeagal why are they on here?

    >> LOL! Please don't make it yourself so complicated, there is no such
    >> thing as illegal newsfroups.

    > As far as I know, there is no such thing as 'newsfroups', period. ;)

    Argh! Believe it or not, the F is neKst to dhe G on my qeyboart,
    exlamation ! ;-)
    Frank.b, Oct 18, 2004
  10. anna scott

    David Qunt Guest

    *********************************

    David Qunt, Oct 19, 2004
  11. David Qunt wrote:
    > "Frank.b" <> squirted these wordjisms deep inside the
    > bumtube of the newstwat in news:cl1c2o$kij$:

    >> anna scott gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> which newsgroups are illeagal so i can advoid them. also if they are
    >>> indeed illeagal why are they on here?

    >> LOL! Please don't make it yourself so complicated, there is no such
    >> thing as illegal newsfroups.

    > As far as I know, there is no such thing as 'newsfroups', period. ;)

    Then you don't know far enough. "Froup/newsfroup" has been Usenet slang
    for at least 12 years, as this entry from The Jargon file appears in my
    1992 edition of its dead-tree counterpart, "The New Hackers Dictionary":

    http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/N/newsfroup.html

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 19, 2004
  12. In article <>, Use.Netuser.de says...

    > Agreed no newsgroup is illegal. Although rest assured the Partriot Act will
    > no doubt criminalise some groups at some stage ... Awww poor USA.

    I wonder...

    We have another piece of bad law; Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt
    Organization (R.I.C.O.) Act. Two powerful groups, NARAL and Planned
    Parenthood sought a civil action against the Pro-Life Action Network, and
    its leaders under RICO. A jury ruled against PLAN, but the Supreme Court
    overruled the results of the trial. I suspect that our Constitution will
    trump the Patriot Act when push comes to shove.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
    Norman Miller, Oct 19, 2004
  13. anna scott

    Scraggy Guest

    Frank.b wrote:
    > Brian H¹© gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> You might like to remove the word "the" from your sig.

    > I changed it into Latin, or am i even more ridicule now ?
    > :)

    Semper in excrementum sum, solo profundus variat. ;-)
    --
    Most fools think they are only ignorant.
    -- Benjamin Franklin
    Scraggy, Oct 19, 2004
  14. anna scott

    Don Guest

    "Use.Netuser.de" <> wrote in message
    > "Conor" <> wrote...
    > anna scott says...

    <snip>
    >> They are on here because the net is worldwide and still free.

    > The net is free!? Where?
    > The Net hasn't been free in the UK for a number of years but do remember
    > fondly those days of free dial up and even ISDN.

    I am sure that the word free was intended to mean "Free of censorship". None
    can expect the internet to be with monitory cost. Even in the days when a
    few ISP's gave freephone numbers out so anyone could connect without paying
    for the call or a subscription there were costs. The Electricity company
    charged for the electricity your computer used while you were on line and as
    you cannot go on line with a computer the cost of the computer has to be
    taken into account. Computers become obsolete faster than just about
    anything other than the cell phone, so the cost is quite high.
    Don, Oct 19, 2004
  15. anna scott

    David Qunt Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> squirted these wordjisms deep

    > David Qunt wrote:
    >> "Frank.b" <> squirted these wordjisms deep inside the
    >> bumtube of the newstwat in news:cl1c2o$kij$:

    >>> anna scott gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> LOL! Please don't make it yourself so complicated, there is no such
    >>> thing as illegal newsfroups.

    >> As far as I know, there is no such thing as 'newsfroups', period. ;)

    > Then you don't know far enough. "Froup/newsfroup" has been Usenet

    slang
    > for at least 12 years, as this entry from The Jargon file appears in my
    > 1992 edition of its dead-tree counterpart, "The New Hackers

    Dictionary":

    > http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/N/newsfroup.html

    Interesting, cheers. ;)

    --
    *********************************

    David Qunt, Oct 19, 2004
  16. "Don" <mailto:> wrote ...
    > > "Conor" <> wrote...
    > > anna scott says...

    > <snip>
    > >> They are on here because the net is worldwide and still free.

    > > The net is free!? Where?
    > > The Net hasn't been free in the UK for a number of years but do remember
    > > fondly those days of free dial up and even ISDN.
    > >

    > I am sure that the word free was intended to mean "Free of censorship".

    None

    Gotcha

    > can expect the internet to be with monitory cost. Even in the days when a
    > few ISP's gave freephone numbers out so anyone could connect without

    paying
    > for the call or a subscription there were costs. The Electricity company
    > charged for the electricity your computer used while you were on line and

    as
    > you cannot go on line with a computer the cost of the computer has to be
    > taken into account. Computers become obsolete faster than just about
    > anything other than the cell phone, so the cost is quite high.

    Now you're being pedantic [me thinks] so ... I used a telephone and PC at
    work and the free dial up numbers were from most ISP's with a 2 hour
    disconnect or whatever so for me it was literally free.
    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 20, 2004
  17. "Norman Miller" <> wrote in message
    > > Agreed no newsgroup is illegal. Although rest assured the Partriot Act

    will
    > > no doubt criminalise some groups at some stage ... Awww poor USA.

    > I wonder...
    >
    > I suspect that our Constitution will
    > trump the Patriot Act when push comes to shove.

    I really hope so for everyone sake but doubt it ... when something like that
    is written into law with few dissenters it gives organistions too much power
    and 99% of instances when it's invoked there will be little or no debate
    however I'm sure there will eventually be a landmark case. Youz guys need to
    consider the costs for any legal battle even when your constitutional rights
    are concerned and that's a major issue. We in the UK can atleast get some
    support assuming we cannot afford proper representation (Legal Aid). It's
    abused here much like the Health Service but I like them both even if I must
    pay too much ax for them to be retained.
    Sorry into a rammble there ... ;-)
    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 20, 2004
  18. anna scott

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:21:48 +0100 "Use.Netuser.de"
    used 22 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >We in the UK can atleast get some
    >support assuming we cannot afford proper representation (Legal Aid). It's
    >abused here much like the Health Service but I like them both even if I must
    >pay too much ax for them to be retained.

    We have the ACLU, which is *really* a liberal crybaby organization.
    However, they do understand that parts of the Patriot Act are
    infringing on our constitutional rights. They have some pretty good
    lawyers that will come to the aid of someone whose rights are in
    jeopardy.

    http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=12224&c=207

    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
    G. Morgan, Oct 20, 2004
  19. anna scott

    El Duderino Guest

    As this hypothetical case would probably be a civil case (I dunno, breach of
    Privacy, something like that?) Legal Aid would not be available in the UK.
    If however it was a criminal case for accessing an "illegal" newsgroup
    (which I don't think there is any defination for?) then Legal Aid *would* be
    available.
    Still, look on the bright side, even if it was a civil case one may be able
    to get 'Liberty' or such like organisation involved on a pro bono basis as t
    would likely be a high profile case.

    El Duderino, Oct 20, 2004