Illegal Downloading causes DVD (deadly venereal disease)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by charlestruman@hotmail.com, Oct 22, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Friday September 1, 2006

    Illegal Downloaders: Beware of Spyware, Deadly Venereal Disease, (DVD)
    and Jail Time

    Spyware. Fines. Jail time. Venereal disease. Maybe even DEATH! That's
    the short list of consequences you can expect if you're an illegal
    downloader, at least according to a new propaganda film (which you
    can—and should—watch by going to www.campusdownloading.com/dvd.htm).

    A coworker brought this clip to my attention and, after chuckling that
    the host kinda looks like me, we ROTFL because of the production
    qualities. I mean, seriously. If this is the best the RIAA can do,
    maybe they really ARE going broke because of piracy.

    The video is geared towards teaching students about the harms of P2P,
    and I should mention that I'm not sure it's an official RIAA
    production. There's no identifying info anywhere on the
    campusdownloading.com site, but a Whois search turned up Widmeyer
    Communications (a giant DC-based PR firm) as the site admin. And I
    can't imagine what organization but the RIAA would be so anonymously
    passionate (and tactless) about student downloading.

    Look at the Web site's sexually charged tagline: "Protect yourself. Do
    it legally." Illegal downloading can give you herpes (or worse)!

    Listen as the host wraps up the video clip by ominously saying "It's
    your life…" Illegal downloading can endanger YOUR VERY LIFE!

    And, of course, leave it to the RIAA to attempt to make a "hip" video
    for the kids, pick a dork for the host (did I mention he kinda looks
    like me?), and then use the absolute worst elevator music in the
    background. You're the effin' RIAA, people. Call Kanye and ask for
    something a little edgier, huh?

    Of course, as silly as this little campaign is, it still doesn't top
    the MPAA's movie-theater ads which scold theater-goers for piracy
    after they paid $10 a ticket to see a film. Or this one, which plays
    on purchased DVDs to warn the buyers against downloading feature
    films.

    Then again, stealing is still wrong, even if the PR agencies and
    lobbyists say it is.

    http://www.gearlog.com/2006/09/illegal_downloaders_beware_of.php
    , Oct 22, 2007

  2. Winfield Guest

    Britney Spears's private jet, a Gulf Stream III, doesn't even have a
    remote for it's surround-sound system.

    And they say illegal downloading has no effect.

    - W 8*)
    Winfield, Oct 23, 2007