Illegal cookies

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Peter James, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Peter James

    Peter James Guest

    I posted this to the NG opera.general, and then thought it might be a
    security issue. Can anyone help.

    In attempting to browse the Amazon web page Opera 7.23 returns the
    following message:
    "The server tried to set an illegal cookie. the combination of the
    servers hostname and the domain attribute for this cookie is not
    acceptable, and the cookie has therefore been rejected. You might
    want to ask the sites Webmaster to set legal cookies.
    Address: http://www.amazon.co.uk"

    Below this is a box with the following:
    "skin=; domain=amazon.com; path=/; expires wed,
    01-Aug-01 12.00 GMT"

    In Opera preferences cookies are set to:
    normal -accept without question
    3rd party - refuse without question.

    I have also Opera set to delete cookies upon exit.
    Can anyone help. Thanks
    --

    Peter James
    Change AT to @ to reply

    Peter James, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Peter James

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "Peter James" said in news::
    > I posted this to the NG opera.general, and then thought it might be a
    > security issue. Can anyone help.
    >
    > In attempting to browse the Amazon web page Opera 7.23 returns the
    > following message:
    > "The server tried to set an illegal cookie. the combination of the
    > servers hostname and the domain attribute for this cookie is not
    > acceptable, and the cookie has therefore been rejected. You might
    > want to ask the sites Webmaster to set legal cookies.
    > Address: http://www.amazon.co.uk"
    >
    > Below this is a box with the following:
    > "skin=; domain=amazon.com; path=/; expires wed,
    > 01-Aug-01 12.00 GMT"
    >
    > In Opera preferences cookies are set to:
    > normal -accept without question
    > 3rd party - refuse without question.
    >
    > I have also Opera set to delete cookies upon exit.
    > Can anyone help. Thanks

    Looks like it is your cookie setting which refuses 3rd party cookies.
    Normally a site writes a cookie in which the domain listed within the cookie
    (that can use that cookie) is the same as the site's domain. However,
    sometimes a site will write a cookie for another domain (i.e., 3rd party)
    which will get subsequently used. For example, when you login to Hotmail
    (which uses hotmail.microsoft.com and passport.net and/or passport.com
    sites), they also try to write a 3rd party cookie for some other domain (I
    forget what). Since I have 3rd party cookies rejected, I see the hazard
    icon in IE's status bar and when I double-click on it then it tells me the
    3rd party cookies (which were written by the 1st party) that got rejected.
    Apparently Opera pops up a warning. Maybe that can be turned off.

    *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

    *Vanguard*, Feb 6, 2004

  3. As a rule you can ignore 3rd party cookies -- those set on behalf of a
    domain of which the server is not a member. Most often these are used
    to track advertising,

    Craig.

    --
    For a free security gap analysis visit gap.mainstream.net

    Craig Peterson, Feb 6, 2004