I'll give a thousand dollars (ok, not a thousand) to anyone who can help me get a ding-dang printer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by arethusa, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. arethusa

    arethusa Guest

    I have been trying for days to get a printer installed on my computer.

    You may remember me from the dreaded "lexbce" <shudder> problem which
    I solved myself with help from kind members here.

    Well, my brother and his wife visited me over Easter and kindly bought
    me a new All-In-One printer as a present. It was a Lexmark. (They
    let me pick it out myself and it was the cheapest. I didn't want to
    be greedy.)

    It would not install.

    So they very kindly went back out and bought me an almost $100 HP
    All-In-One.

    It would not install.

    After days of trying to figure it out myself; uninstalling software,
    going into safe mode and cleaning the Windows folder and the registry,
    trying to install it again, uninstalling it, cleaning the system, etc,
    etc, going to the HP online help and following all their directions to
    the letter, I finally called the support line and allowed a tech to
    access my computer remotely (how strange! it felt like a stranger was
    rooting around in my underwear drawer!) and was finally told that my
    VIA chipset was not good enough, I needed an Intel Chipset.

    Before running to Ebay, I Googled and found that I could update my
    chipset with software available online, which I did. This did not
    help.

    I'm ready to format my hard drive, but I'm pretty sure that won't help
    either.

    I have WinXP Home Edition with all service packs.
    I'm connected to a wireless router and a cable modem,
    I have an AMD processor.
    I have a USB 2.0 PCI card. The USB ports on the motherboard do not
    work. I don't know why. I discovered this recently while
    troubleshooting. I have enabled all USB thingies in the BIOS.
    I'd update my BIOS, but I am afraid to try.
    I have deleted all USB ports in device manager and then let the
    computer find them upon rebooting.

    I do not have a USB printer port and I don't know why. (In the list
    of available ports when trying to add the printer using the "Add A
    Printer" option in the Printers and Faxes folder in Control Panel.)

    Trying to install a printer has taken over my life at this point. I'm
    starting to root around in the registry in dangerous ways.

    Help, please?

    arethusa, Apr 12, 2007

  2. arethusa

    pcbutts1 Guest

    What happens when you try? What error messages? Assuming that your USB ports
    are in good working order most HP printers install what they call a DOT4
    port which is not listed under USB in the device manager, it has a separate
    entry or it might say 1284 xxx something, try those if you have them. Post a
    screen shot somewhere of your Device manager with and without the printer
    plugged in.

    pcbutts1, Apr 12, 2007

  3. arethusa

    Mike Easter Guest

    arethusa wrote:

    > I Googled and found that I could update my
    > chipset with software available online, which I did. This did not
    > help.

    You gave insufficient information there about what chipset you updated
    with what software or drivers.

    > I have an AMD processor.

    .... and VIA chipset. What is your mobo? What chipset?

    > I have a USB 2.0 PCI card. The USB ports on the motherboard do not
    > work. I don't know why.

    Most VIA mobo/s need to have some drivers installed.

    Here's some stuff that VIA has to advise you
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=68&P=1
    Microsoft Windows Drivers - Understand what you need - Do you know what
    chipset is on your mainboard and what other hardware is in your PC? - If
    you are not sure what the motherboard, chipset and drivers are and how
    they relate to one another, read this first.

    That page and the following ones will walk you thru' identifying your
    mobo, chipset, and obtaining the proper drivers

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 12, 2007
  4. arethusa

    x@y Guest

    "arethusa" <> wrote in message
    > So they very kindly went back out and bought me an almost $100 HP
    > All-In-One.

    <snip>

    > It would not install.

    > Help, please?

    Try here for $ 500.00, http://tinyurl.com/37klo9 .

    If no solution on the above Link, try HP Support.

    x@y

    x@y, Apr 12, 2007
  5. arethusa

    Fred Guest

    Try running the system file checker.
    sfc /scannow
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    Fred, Apr 12, 2007
  6. arethusa

    Ogo Guest

    .........................I have a USB 2.0 PCI card. The USB ports on the
    motherboard do not
    work. I don't know why. I discovered this recently while
    troubleshooting. I have enabled all USB thingies in the
    BIOS..........................

    Try DISABLING the U.S.B. ports in the bios as you have a U.S.B. 2.0 card in
    your computer and there may be a conflict.
    The onboard U.S.B. ports may be U.S.B. 1.0 and the printer may not like
    U.S.B. 1.0
    Ogo.

    Ogo, Apr 12, 2007
  7. arethusa

    arethusa Guest

    I was finally able to install the printer today. I've had Lexmark and
    HP people help me and each time it was an exercise in frustration.
    Almost against hope, I Googled the problem one more time and found the
    answer in a tech forum:

    I had to go to the registry, create a new key under USB Monitor,
    create a string for it (usbmon.dll) and reboot. Once I did, the
    software installed and I've been printing for a full half hour now.

    Thank you, guys, for the suggestions.

    Denise

    arethusa, Apr 14, 2007