    difference between the 2500 and the 3200 is still approx $400 unless I
    am very much mistaken).

    :) -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Peter Huebner

    Andrew Guest

    The reason that its running at 3200+ is because you have set your FSB up to
    200 rather then at 166 (probably mistaken as you thought it was the ram
    speed?)

    Either way, The XP2500+ do run at XP3200+ quite happy

    Andrew, Nov 25, 2003

  3. In article <8LOwb.9622$>,
    says...
    > The reason that its running at 3200+ is because you have set your FSB up to
    > 200 rather then at 166 (probably mistaken as you thought it was the ram
    > speed?)
    >
    > Either way, The XP2500+ do run at XP3200+ quite happy

    I set it to 'auto' -- my mobo has two dip switch settings: 100 and
    133/auto -- and away it went :)
    Automagic overclocking.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <8LOwb.9622$>,
    > says...
    >> The reason that its running at 3200+ is because you have set your
    >> FSB up to 200 rather then at 166 (probably mistaken as you thought
    >> it was the ram speed?)
    >>
    >> Either way, The XP2500+ do run at XP3200+ quite happy

    > I set it to 'auto' -- my mobo has two dip switch settings: 100 and
    > 133/auto -- and away it went :)
    > Automagic overclocking.

    Awesome!. On my g/f's new Soltek nForce2 board and Barton 2500+ I just set
    the FSB to 200MHz manually and upped the vcore 0.025v and, voila!, BIOS
    reports an XP3200+. (I had to up the vcore a little as it wasn't Prime95
    stable overnight at standard vcore.)

    BTW, did you know that all new Barton 2500+ CPUs, from about week 43/03 (and
    apparently *all* their new AMD CPUs are going the same way) are now
    multiplier-locked? A big about-face by AMD. Doesn't matter in this case
    though, the FSB increase is by far the best way to OC them.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2003
  5. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > The reason that its running at 3200+ is because you have set your FSB
    > up to 200 rather then at 166 (probably mistaken as you thought it was
    > the ram speed?)
    >
    > Either way, The XP2500+ do run at XP3200+ quite happy

    Not all of them. There are quite a few unhappy people in
    alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd who are unable to get their 2500+ to run
    at 3200+ speeds by OCing the FSB. Even after raising the vcore considerably.
    (And most cases aren't RAM-related either) Now AMD are multiplier-locking
    their new CPUs it really reduces the options for OCing.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2003
  6. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > I just had to replace my mobo and CPU. <sniff>
    > Got a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 and a Barton 2500+ which seemed a
    > reasonably cheap way to go. Added some 400Mhz RAM.
    > WinXP claims under system properties I am running an AMD XP3200+!
    > So I went to AMD's site and downloaded the latest amdcpuid and well,
    > if it isnt'! - runs at 2,225 Mhz.
    >
    > Gosh, gee whizz, that was an unexpected early X-mess prezzy (the price
    > difference between the 2500 and the 3200 is still approx $400 unless I
    > am very much mistaken).
    >
    > :) -P.

    Who's a lucky boy then? :)

    Since the demise of the Tualatin CPU (The best CPU Intel ever made IMO), AMD
    have been far more attractive to me than Intel. Excellent CPUs with quite a
    bit of head-room for safe overclocking.

    If you haven't done it already I recommend downloading and running Prime95
    (Torture-test mode) for a few hours (overnight if possible) to check for
    total stability. It will pick up any instability with your CPU/memory
    sub-system before it can cause problems with mission-critical data. There's
    a slim chance you may need a slight vcore increase for complete stability.

    (Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know but it may benefit anyone
    else reading this).

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2003
  7. Peter Huebner

    Andrew Guest

    "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > > In article <8LOwb.9622$>,
    > > says...
    > >> The reason that its running at 3200+ is because you have set your
    > >> FSB up to 200 rather then at 166 (probably mistaken as you thought
    > >> it was the ram speed?)
    > >>
    > >> Either way, The XP2500+ do run at XP3200+ quite happy

    > > I set it to 'auto' -- my mobo has two dip switch settings: 100 and
    > > 133/auto -- and away it went :)
    > > Automagic overclocking.

    > Awesome!. On my g/f's new Soltek nForce2 board and Barton 2500+ I just set
    > the FSB to 200MHz manually and upped the vcore 0.025v and, voila!, BIOS
    > reports an XP3200+. (I had to up the vcore a little as it wasn't Prime95
    > stable overnight at standard vcore.)
    >
    > BTW, did you know that all new Barton 2500+ CPUs, from about week 43/03

    (and
    > apparently *all* their new AMD CPUs are going the same way) are now
    > multiplier-locked? A big about-face by AMD. Doesn't matter in this case
    > though, the FSB increase is by far the best way to OC them.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Yea, its a shame they are all multi locked - But they still do thier job
    great - overclocking wise

    Andrew, Nov 26, 2003
  8. Peter Huebner

    > Andrew wrote:
    > > The reason that its running at 3200+ is because you have set your FSB
    > > up to 200 rather then at 166 (probably mistaken as you thought it was
    > > the ram speed?)
    > >
    > > Either way, The XP2500+ do run at XP3200+ quite happy

    > Not all of them. There are quite a few unhappy people in
    > alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd who are unable to get their 2500+ to

    run
    > at 3200+ speeds by OCing the FSB. Even after raising the vcore

    considerably.
    > (And most cases aren't RAM-related either) Now AMD are multiplier-locking
    > their new CPUs it really reduces the options for OCing.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Thats more then likely due to bad steppings - There were a few, Most are
    good though

    Andrew, Nov 26, 2003
  9. Peter Huebner

    rob Guest

    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > > I just had to replace my mobo and CPU. <sniff>
    > > Got a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 and a Barton 2500+ which seemed a
    > > reasonably cheap way to go. Added some 400Mhz RAM.
    > > WinXP claims under system properties I am running an AMD XP3200+!
    > > So I went to AMD's site and downloaded the latest amdcpuid and well,
    > > if it isnt'! - runs at 2,225 Mhz.
    > >
    > > Gosh, gee whizz, that was an unexpected early X-mess prezzy (the price
    > > difference between the 2500 and the 3200 is still approx $400 unless I
    > > am very much mistaken).
    > >
    > > :) -P.

    > Who's a lucky boy then? :)
    >
    > Since the demise of the Tualatin CPU (The best CPU Intel ever made IMO),

    AMD
    > have been far more attractive to me than Intel. Excellent CPUs with quite

    > bit of head-room for safe overclocking.
    >
    > If you haven't done it already I recommend downloading and running Prime95
    > (Torture-test mode) for a few hours (overnight if possible) to check for
    > total stability. It will pick up any instability with your CPU/memory
    > sub-system before it can cause problems with mission-critical data.

    There's
    > a slim chance you may need a slight vcore increase for complete stability.
    >
    > (Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know but it may benefit anyone
    > else reading this).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > ~misfit~
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    It may just benefit me - thanks misfit.
    I just bought a 2500+ and Albatron KX18D ProII, I had thought I wouldn't
    bother with any of this oc'ing stuff but having read this thred I may just
    have to give it a go.
    I hope you don't mind if I post back if (when) I need any help in a few days
    time.
    thanks and rgds
    rob

    rob, Nov 26, 2003
  10. Peter Huebner

    Tim Guest

    > If you haven't done it already I recommend downloading and running
    > Prime95 (Torture-test mode) for a few hours (overnight if possible) to
    > check for total stability. It will pick up any instability with your
    > CPU/memory sub-system before it can cause problems with
    > mission-critical data. There's a slim chance you may need a slight
    > vcore increase for complete stability.
    >
    > (Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know but it may benefit
    > anyone else reading this).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    It wasn't too long ago I last saw you recommending Prime95. I forgot to
    thank you at the time - I grabbed it and through a process of elimination I
    found that one of my sticks of RAM was unstable. I now have a rock solid
    stable PC - thanks misfit :)

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>

    Tim, Nov 26, 2003
  11. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    rob wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
    >> Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>> I just had to replace my mobo and CPU. <sniff>
    >>> Got a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 and a Barton 2500+ which seemed a
    >>> reasonably cheap way to go. Added some 400Mhz RAM.
    >>> WinXP claims under system properties I am running an AMD XP3200+!
    >>> So I went to AMD's site and downloaded the latest amdcpuid and well,
    >>> if it isnt'! - runs at 2,225 Mhz.
    >>>
    >>> Gosh, gee whizz, that was an unexpected early X-mess prezzy (the
    >>> price difference between the 2500 and the 3200 is still approx $400
    >>> unless I am very much mistaken).
    >>>
    >>> :) -P.

    >> Who's a lucky boy then? :)
    >>
    >> Since the demise of the Tualatin CPU (The best CPU Intel ever made
    >> IMO), AMD have been far more attractive to me than Intel. Excellent
    >> CPUs with quite a bit of head-room for safe overclocking.
    >>
    >> If you haven't done it already I recommend downloading and running
    >> Prime95 (Torture-test mode) for a few hours (overnight if possible)
    >> to check for total stability. It will pick up any instability with
    >> your CPU/memory sub-system before it can cause problems with
    >> mission-critical data. There's a slim chance you may need a slight
    >> vcore increase for complete stability.
    >>
    >> (Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know but it may benefit
    >> anyone else reading this).
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > It may just benefit me - thanks misfit.
    > I just bought a 2500+ and Albatron KX18D ProII, I had thought I
    > wouldn't bother with any of this oc'ing stuff but having read this
    > thred I may just have to give it a go.
    > I hope you don't mind if I post back if (when) I need any help in a
    > few days time.
    > thanks and rgds
    > rob

    Feel free Rob, I've just built three PCs using 2500+s. I like the Soltek
    SL-75FRN2-L mobo for price/performance. I've also done a lot of
    overclocking. (particularly the 2500+ recently).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2003
  12. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in
    >
    >> If you haven't done it already I recommend downloading and running
    >> Prime95 (Torture-test mode) for a few hours (overnight if possible)
    >> to check for total stability. It will pick up any instability with
    >> your CPU/memory sub-system before it can cause problems with
    >> mission-critical data. There's a slim chance you may need a slight
    >> vcore increase for complete stability.
    >>
    >> (Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know but it may benefit
    >> anyone else reading this).
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > It wasn't too long ago I last saw you recommending Prime95. I forgot
    > to thank you at the time - I grabbed it and through a process of
    > elimination I found that one of my sticks of RAM was unstable. I now
    > have a rock solid stable PC - thanks misfit :)

    :) Pleased I could help you.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2003
  13. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
    >> Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>> In article <8LOwb.9622$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> I set it to 'auto' -- my mobo has two dip switch settings: 100 and
    >>> 133/auto -- and away it went :)
    >>> Automagic overclocking.

    >> Awesome!. On my g/f's new Soltek nForce2 board and Barton 2500+ I
    >> just set the FSB to 200MHz manually and upped the vcore 0.025v and,
    >> voila!, BIOS reports an XP3200+. (I had to up the vcore a little as
    >> it wasn't Prime95 stable overnight at standard vcore.)
    >>
    >> BTW, did you know that all new Barton 2500+ CPUs, from about week
    >> 43/03 (and apparently *all* their new AMD CPUs are going the same
    >> way) are now multiplier-locked? A big about-face by AMD. Doesn't
    >> matter in this case though, the FSB increase is by far the best way
    >> to OC them. --
    >> ~misfit~

    > Yea, its a shame they are all multi locked - But they still do thier
    > job great - overclocking wise

    Sure, as long as you have a good board with fixed PCI and AGP frequencies
    and some control over voltages.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2003