    give me a straight answer. I'm getting everythign from 330w to 430w.

    Any Help would be great

    Graphite
    Graphite, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Graphite

    RussS Guest

    Get the biggest you can - personally I won't put anyhting less than 400W in
    any system I build and for my own I use 450W minimum and preferably
    500/550W. I always go for a decent brand too - they usually have quieter
    fans.
    RussS, Jul 24, 2003

  3. "Graphite" <> wrote in message
    > Figure i'll get an answer here...
    >
    > my system is a
    >
    > P4 2.4 533Mhz
    > 512MB 333Mhz Ram
    > ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb DDR Ram
    > Sound BLaster Audigy 2
    > 2x 80GB Maxtor HD
    >
    > My question is what power supply size should i get.... No on i talk to

    can
    > give me a straight answer. I'm getting everythign from 330w to 430w.
    >
    > Any Help would be great

    I'll go against the grain here. A lot of people suggest you buy big power
    supplies - 350W or more. I have no problem with that, because it doesn't
    hurt to have more wattage. But that really is overkill. If you take a look
    at the supplies in brand-name machines - Dell's. HPs etc - you will see they
    have fairly small power supplies. 220 and 250W are common. The problem with
    power supplies is that the ones that come with cheap cases are usually
    incredibly dodgy. If people have problems, they look at their '300W' (in
    cheap supplies this figure is usually calculated by counting the number of
    sheep in a paddock, rounding to the nearest ten, doubling that then rounding
    to the nearest 100, or some method just as likely to come up with a
    realistic result) power supply that came with the case and decide that it
    wasn't enough power, so they need a bigger supply. That isn't the case at
    all.

    The key is to get a quality supply. If you are buying from a brick-n-mortar
    store on cheap and usually very effective trick is to just pick the supply
    up and feel how heavy it is. In power supplies heavy components generally
    mean good components. If you have ever lifted a cheap power supply you will
    know how light they are. If you are buying online, make sure you get a brand
    with a good reputation. Enermax and Antec have a very good reputations.

    Of course, getting a higher wattage supply won't hurt anything, except your
    wallet. A lot of people feel happier knowing they have so much headroom
    (even though the reality is they will never come anywhere near using that
    much), so for them the extra price is warranted. And then there's bragging
    rights.

    Gareth
    Gareth Church, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Graphite

    RussS Guest

    Good point there about the weight of a PS Gareth. However when you mention
    HP & Dell etc. - they put a PS into a system to run exactly what is in the
    system and little more. I remember a customer with a HP system - by the
    time they added a CDRW and and AGP graphics card they were stressing the PS
    supply.
    RussS, Jul 25, 2003