IIS question

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?c3RyeWRlcg==?=, May 25, 2004.

  1. If I have an existing https website using 443 can I create another https website on the same IIS server using 443 or will I have to have another (more than one) IP address? I just tried to create another website using 443 but that option was ghosted out and wouldn't allow me to use it. The only reason I could think of was that it is being used by an existing https site on the server

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?c3RyeWRlcg==?=, May 25, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?c3RyeWRlcg==?=

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 09:31:05 -0700, "stryder"
    <> wrote:

    >If I have an existing https website using 443 can I create another https website on the same IIS server using 443 or will I have to have another (more than one) IP address? I just tried to create another website using 443 but that option was ghosted out and wouldn't allow me to use it. The only reason I could think of was that it is being used by an existing https site on the server.
    >
    >Thanks

    You would need to either use a different IP address or a different
    port. Although, bear in mind that if you do use a different port your
    users will need to specify the port in their browser requests.

    This question is a variation on the SSL/Host Headers one that crops up
    all the time in the IIS groups.

    Details here :

    HTTP 1.1 Host Headers Are Not Supported When You Use SSL
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=187504

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?c3RyeWRlcg==?=

    Consultant Guest

    if you create another site and use the same certificate, your users will get
    prompted each time they hit your site telling them the url does not match
    the cert. if you dont want this message, bind another ip to your nic, assign
    it to your new site then get it its own cert

    Consultant, May 25, 2004