    on a Windows 2003 64 bit server. Would our application still work? Are
    these knows incompatabilities between the two?

    Thanks!

    Galpersonal, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Galpersonal

    Galpersonal Guest

    I mean, it says this on MSDN:

    "Windows Server 2003 x64 provides high performance for both 32-bit and
    64-bit applications on the same system. The underlying architecture is based
    on 64-bit extensions to the industry-standard x86 instruction set, allowing
    today's 32-bit applications to run natively on x64 processors. At the same
    time, new 64-bit applications are executed in 64-bit mode, which processes
    more data per clock cycle, allows greater access to memory, and speeds
    numeric calculations. The end result is a platform that leverages the
    existing wealth of 32-bit applications while also providing a smooth
    migration path to 64-bit computing. "

    " for both 32-bit and 64-bit applications on the same system"... so, both
    should work, right?

    Galpersonal, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Galpersonal

    Admiral Q Guest

    > We have a web based application that runs in IIS6.0 on windows 2000/2003.
    > A client wants to know if it would be possible for us to load our
    > application on a Windows 2003 64 bit server. Would our application still
    > work? Are these knows incompatabilities between the two?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Yes, both work, except to use the 64-bit side and your application uses
    ..NET, it must be version 2.0, as it is the only one with a x86 and x64 bit
    version, otherwise if it uses 1.1 or 1.0, you'll still be in x86 mode on
    IIS. That said though, the underlying workings of the OS/IIS is still x64,
    which can utilize more memory and is more robust. You'll also have to set
    IIS to run for x86 applications and have at least 2 websites, one in x86
    mode and one in x64 mode, that is if your app supports x64 bit.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

    Google is your Friend!
    http://www.google.com

    Admiral Q, Aug 4, 2006
  4. Galpersonal

    mabra Guest

    Hi !

    Yes and no ;-)

    If you need client posting capabilities, you'll usually need something
    like "FrontPage Server Extensions" and/or "Windows Sharepoint Services".

    I do not know, if "FrontPage Server Extensions" are available for "x64
    standard". On "x64 R2 standard" only Sharepoint services are available
    and they are 32 bit !!!!!!!!! If you install it, they configure you IIS
    to only use 32 bit mode and your 64bit abilities are lost. They also
    install a 32 bit SQL Server Express DB. This also seem to setup a 32bit
    provider for VSS, which prevents backup completely from running. I
    solved this problem by removing "Sharepoit Services" and everything is
    fine, except, that VS canot post solutions!!

    If you are using "Windows Server 2003 x64 Standard Edition" I would
    please you to look for the availability of "Frontpage Server Extensions"
    in your setup(Controlpanel, Software, System components). I would like
    to know that! I was on the road to install this, just to find this out ;-)

    Thanks so far and
    best regards,
    Manfred

    mabra, Aug 4, 2006
  5. I don't have personnally a 64 bit server but it looks like that many ODBC
    and OLEDB drivers won't work in 64 bits mode; as I had to put the IIS on 32
    bit mode for one of my client (the only one with a 64 bit machine) to make
    my stuff work.

    --
    Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
    MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Aug 4, 2006
  6. Galpersonal

    universal4 Guest

    I have not looked into this for a while, but the last time I did, Front
    Page Server extensions will only work in 32 bit.

    In order for them to work properly, you must step IIS down to 32 bit
    mode by running a script...or command line...I don't have it handy, but
    will try to find the KB article and post it.

    Rick
    Universal4

    --
    universal4
    universal4's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1254

    universal4, Aug 13, 2006
  7. Galpersonal

    mabra Guest

    Hi !

    Anyway, thanks. Hmm, I am wondering, why I did'nt make a search on MS's
    "extended search query" .....

    It just now gave me the link to the download of the "FrontPage Server
    Extensions 2002 for Windows x64":

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...F9-3C78-44BB-8A72-6F8ED2AA0E8E&displaylang=en

    Best regards,
    Manfred

    mabra, Aug 13, 2006
  8. Galpersonal

    mabra Guest

    Hi !

    After reading: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891314/en-us
    I am completely disappointed, due to:

    To run FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions for Windows x64 editions,
    Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) must be configured to run
    in 32-bit emulation mode.

    What a mess!

    Best regards,
    Manfred

    mabra, Aug 13, 2006
  9. Galpersonal

    universal4 Guest

    I wish Microsoft would have made the extensions compatable with true
    64bit, but sadly they have not yet. A 64 bit server running IIS in 32
    bit mode should still handle memory better correct?

    Does anyone know of any problems on production servers using the front
    page extensions?

    Rick
    Universal4

    universal4, Aug 13, 2006