    --
    ~IRO
    (enzed = nz)

    IRO, Nov 1, 2006

  2. IRO

    Geopelia Guest

    "IRO" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is iHug the only ISP with big problems with their email?
    >
    > It seems odd that a spam torrent would be directed at only one ISP, or
    > does the problem look more like a defect in their filters that has
    > brought the system to its knees?
    >
    > --
    > ~IRO
    > (enzed = nz)

    xtra seems OK just now.
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..

    Geopelia, Nov 1, 2006

  3. IRO

    Geopelia Guest

    I've found that if I can't post to a newsgroup and get an error report by
    clicking 'Send,' if I click 'Send and Receive' instead the message goes
    through.

    (Windows XP, OE6, xtra for email, aioe for newsgroups)

    Maybe it's just my computer though.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 1, 2006
  4. IRO

    Adam Guest

    Geopelia wrote:

    > [ ....]
    >
    > xtra seems OK just now.

    Well, next month's Consumer magazine has some unflattering survey results
    for it.

    Adam, Nov 1, 2006
  5. IRO

    Adam Guest

    Geopelia wrote:

    > I've found that if I can't post to a newsgroup and get an error report by
    > clicking 'Send,' if I click 'Send and Receive' instead the message goes
    > through.
    >
    > (Windows XP, OE6, xtra for email, aioe for newsgroups)
    >
    > Maybe it's just my computer though.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Cannot send or receive emails at all, now, Thursday morning.
    Newsgroup send & receive OK.

    Seems like they're in the thick of it just now. And the iHug homepage
    network status says merely 'some delays in email'.

    So I hope they get it sorted by the weekend.

    Maybe iHug's transparency or honesty will improve under their new owners
    Vodafone ?! Its been at least two days already, after all.

    Will stay tuned.

    Adam, Nov 1, 2006
  6. IRO

    Adam Guest

    And ... iHug mail server off the air at around mid-day Friday. No incomings
    and no server connect for outgoings.

    Adam, Nov 2, 2006
  7. IRO

    Geopelia Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> [ ....]
    >>
    >> xtra seems OK just now.

    > Well, next month's Consumer magazine has some unflattering survey results
    > for it.

    That wouldn't surprise me. But I want my phone and email on the same bill.
    I'll think about a move next time the computer has to go for repairs.

    I got a survey by phone some time ago. I told them I wanted newsgroups.
    Don't suppose it did any good though.

    Geopelia, Nov 2, 2006
  8. IRO

    Stu Fleming Guest

    IRO wrote:
    > Is iHug the only ISP with big problems with their email?
    >
    > It seems odd that a spam torrent would be directed at only one ISP, or
    > does the problem look more like a defect in their filters that has
    > brought the system to its knees?

    No significant e-mail issues here.

    Stu Fleming, Nov 2, 2006
  9. In message <eiblql$98m$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > But I want my phone and email on the same bill.

    You want a bill for email!?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 2, 2006
  10. IRO

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:47:18 +1300, Adam <> wrote:

    >And ... iHug mail server off the air at around mid-day Friday. No incomings
    >and no server connect for outgoings.

    It's not Friday yet, how can you see into the future? :)

    This is what their status page says at 7:44pm

    Email Delays - 01/11/2006 2006-11-02 17:59:05

    overloaded. This issue has now been resolved.

    What's the problem?
    Following a significant increase in virus emails worldwide over the weekend,
    ihug’s servers have been overloaded. The increase in load led to email delays
    and a backlog of emails to be cleared.

    What did we do to resolve this?
    We have installed additional servers to clear the back log and provide
    additional capacity.

    Expected time for resolution:
    The backlog is now cleared. We apologise for the inconvenience this issue has
    caused.

    Craig Shore, Nov 2, 2006
  11. IRO

    Adam Guest

    > It's not Friday yet, how can you see into the future? :)

    <chuckle> Good point.

    So, later that night, have received 1 or 2 emails, but cannot send. Says
    can't contact host smtp.ihug.co.nz. iHug net-stat page suggests all's
    well - which is not exactly the case.

    Adam, Nov 2, 2006
  12. IRO

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:34:28 +1300, Adam <> wrote:

    >> It's not Friday yet, how can you see into the future? :)

    ><chuckle> Good point.
    >
    >So, later that night, have received 1 or 2 emails, but cannot send. Says
    >can't contact host smtp.ihug.co.nz. iHug net-stat page suggests all's
    >well - which is not exactly the case.

    You're right, receiving is fine, but sending doesn't work. Seems strange the
    smtp server would be fried when it was the pop3 that's had problems keeping up
    with spam and virus messages.

    Craig Shore, Nov 2, 2006
  13. In message <>, Craig Shore wrote:

    > Seems strange the smtp server would be fried when it was the pop3 that's
    > had problems keeping up with spam and virus messages.

    It's the SMTP server that has to receive all those messages.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 2, 2006
  14. IRO

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <eiblql$98m$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> But I want my phone and email on the same bill.

    > You want a bill for email!?

    Sorry, that should have been xtra!

    Geopelia, Nov 2, 2006
  15. IRO

    Joy Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:34:28 +1300, Adam <> wrote:
    >

    >>> It's not Friday yet, how can you see into the future? :)

    >><chuckle> Good point.
    >>
    >>So, later that night, have received 1 or 2 emails, but cannot send. Says
    >>can't contact host smtp.ihug.co.nz. iHug net-stat page suggests all's
    >>well - which is not exactly the case.

    > You're right, receiving is fine, but sending doesn't work. Seems strange
    > the
    > smtp server would be fried when it was the pop3 that's had problems
    > keeping up
    > with spam and virus messages.

    Friday morning, still can't send emails. How long will this go on I wonder.
    Joy

    Joy, Nov 2, 2006
  16. IRO

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 07:09:14 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message

    >>><chuckle> Good point.
    >>>
    >>>So, later that night, have received 1 or 2 emails, but cannot send. Says
    >>>can't contact host smtp.ihug.co.nz. iHug net-stat page suggests all's
    >>>well - which is not exactly the case.

    >> You're right, receiving is fine, but sending doesn't work. Seems strange
    >> the
    >> smtp server would be fried when it was the pop3 that's had problems
    >> keeping up
    >> with spam and virus messages.

    >Friday morning, still can't send emails. How long will this go on I wonder.
    >Joy

    Did you ring them?

    Craig Shore, Nov 3, 2006
  17. IRO

    Matty F Guest

    IRO wrote:
    > Is iHug the only ISP with big problems with their email?
    >
    > It seems odd that a spam torrent would be directed at only one ISP, or
    > does the problem look more like a defect in their filters that has
    > brought the system to its knees?

    In recent weeks a large number of spam emails have been sent to my xtra
    account. Most of those have been filtered out by xtra. The spam was
    mainly of two types, ones with a jpg wanting people to invest in some
    crap company, or bank phishing attempts.
    Why doesn't someone organise an attack on the companies whose stock is
    being promoted?
    e.g. Shallbetter Industries Inc

    Matty F, Nov 3, 2006
  18. In article <>, mattyf9265
    @yahoo.co.nz says...
    > IRO wrote:
    > > Is iHug the only ISP with big problems with their email?
    > >
    > > It seems odd that a spam torrent would be directed at only one ISP, or
    > > does the problem look more like a defect in their filters that has
    > > brought the system to its knees?

    > In recent weeks a large number of spam emails have been sent to my xtra
    > account. Most of those have been filtered out by xtra. The spam was
    > mainly of two types, ones with a jpg wanting people to invest in some
    > crap company, or bank phishing attempts.
    > Why doesn't someone organise an attack on the companies whose stock is
    > being promoted?
    > e.g. Shallbetter Industries Inc

    You'd probably be hitting the wrong people. As I understand it it goes like
    this: the spammers buy some cheap crap (basically worthless) shares, then start
    sending out the spam. Apparently they find enough idiots to sucker, because the
    price of the shares starts creeping up due to demand. The spammers then dump
    their holding at a profit, and the suckers get suckered. There's a name for
    this practice that just won't come to mind just now. But "Shallbetter" is
    probably oblivious to what's being set up, and may well be scratching their
    heads w.r.t. the inexplicable rise in their shareprice.

    What absolutely gets me is how/why anybody would react to such spams. They are
    so obviously spam - misspelled, badly formulated, often with weird uP aNd DoWn
    spelling that makes my eyes hurt just to look at it -- who would go by
    something like that? Even the subject lines are mostly devoid of social
    engineering (I've seen a few clever ones, but they stick out by their rarity)
    Jeez, there must be some dumb people out there. But apparently it works, just
    like the 'bigger shlong' pills pitch. <shrug>

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Nov 4, 2006
  19. In message <eicgd9$c0f$>, Geopelia wrote:

    >> In message <eiblql$98m$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> But I want my phone and email on the same bill.

    >> You want a bill for email!?

    > Sorry, that should have been xtra!

    I suppose it would certainly be an "xtra" item on your bill. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 4, 2006
  20. IRO

    Guest

    IRO wrote:
    > Is iHug the only ISP with big problems with their email?
    >
    > It seems odd that a spam torrent would be directed at only one ISP, or
    > does the problem look more like a defect in their filters that has
    > brought the system to its knees?

    You might have heard by now but it's said Orcon is having similar
    problems. Xtra appears to be fine. The thing to remember is most NZ
    ISPs have had problems at some stage. Generally I guess what happens is
    e.g Ihug's capacity is e.g. at 35% on average. They get a sudden surge
    in spam and get overloaded and problems start from there until the spam
    surge stops or they figure out a way to fix the problem. At some time
    or other, Ihug is going to upgrade their equipement and they might be
    at 10% of capacity on average and so might survive the next spam flood.
    Xtra is probably at the low end of their capacity at the moment and so
    can survive the torrent.

    , Nov 5, 2006