Ihug upload data count towards monthly data allowance from July 1st

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Wombus, May 27, 2006.

  1. Wombus

    Wombus Guest

    Apologies if this is old news....
    Now I am mighty glad i resisted the temptation to move on to the 2mb
    plan with Ihug a while back, this would have halved my peak data
    allowance. phew.... I Just got an e-mail from them stating -

    * Your upload data will count towards your monthly data allowance

    Up until now ihug has been the only provider in NZ to give its customers
    free uploads.

    However from July 1st, uploads - that is, sending emails and files etc -
    will count towards your data allowance, as they do with all other providers.

    It's easy to keep an eye on your data usage by logging in to my account
    and selecting 'check usage' under internet.

    (We've had to do this because of changes to the way we can use Telecom's
    network to provide broadband services to our customers

    End Quote

    Now more data to consider chipping away at my monthly limit... made me
    laugh to hear Ihug blame telecom for this change...

    Also note that Ihug are changing the peak off peak hours from
    Midnight/8am to 2am to 10am
    Wombus, May 27, 2006

  2. Wombus

    Shane Guest

    Wombus wrote:

    > Apologies if this is old news....
    > Now I am mighty glad i resisted the temptation to move on to the 2mb
    > plan with Ihug a while back, this would have halved my peak data
    > allowance. phew.... I Just got an e-mail from them stating -

    > * Your upload data will count towards your monthly data allowance
    >
    > Up until now ihug has been the only provider in NZ to give its customers
    > free uploads.
    >
    > However from July 1st, uploads - that is, sending emails and files etc -
    > will count towards your data allowance, as they do with all other
    > providers.
    >
    > It's easy to keep an eye on your data usage by logging in to my account
    > and selecting 'check usage' under internet.
    >
    > (We've had to do this because of changes to the way we can use Telecom's
    > network to provide broadband services to our customers
    >
    > End Quote
    >
    > Now more data to consider chipping away at my monthly limit... made me
    > laugh to hear Ihug blame telecom for this change...
    >
    > Also note that Ihug are changing the peak off peak hours from
    > Midnight/8am to 2am to 10am

    I havent received the email yet (theres a thread on ihug.general about the
    change)
    Although someone made mention this change doesnt affect bliink plans (on
    which I am)
    Im waiting for the official word before I make any more decisions

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    Shane, May 27, 2006

  3. Wombus

    Wombus Guest

    Re: Ihug upload data count towards monthly data allowance from July1st

    Wombus wrote:
    > Apologies if this is old news....
    > Now I am mighty glad i resisted the temptation to move on to the 2mb
    > plan with Ihug a while back, this would have halved my peak data
    > allowance. phew.... I Just got an e-mail from them stating -

    Ooops... What i should have said is, glad i resisted the move to 3.5mb
    plan... I'm already on 2mb
    Wombus, May 27, 2006
  4. On Sat, 27 May 2006 19:14:18 +1200, Wombus wrote:

    > Also note that Ihug are changing the peak off peak hours from
    > Midnight/8am to 2am to 10am

    That's because only very few people would stay up to 2am in order to start
    a download, but most people would be happy to stay up to midnight in order
    to start a download - and Windoze doesn't come with cron installed.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 27, 2006
  5. > I havent received the email yet (theres a thread on ihug.general about the
    > change)
    > Although someone made mention this change doesnt affect bliink plans (on
    > which I am)
    > Im waiting for the official word before I make any more decisions

    Is this Official Enough? (From their own website)

    http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/010706.html

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz
    Craig Whitmore, May 27, 2006
  6. Wombus

    Shane Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    >> I havent received the email yet (theres a thread on ihug.general about
    >> the change)
    >> Although someone made mention this change doesnt affect bliink plans (on
    >> which I am)
    >> Im waiting for the official word before I make any more decisions

    > Is this Official Enough? (From their own website)
    >
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/010706.html
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig Whitmore
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    almost
    Im a _very_ new subscriber to ihug, and trying to figure out what (if any)
    difference bliiink plans makes

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    Shane, May 27, 2006
  7. Wombus

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 27 May 2006 20:19:20 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 May 2006 19:14:18 +1200, Wombus wrote:
    >
    >> Also note that Ihug are changing the peak off peak hours from
    >> Midnight/8am to 2am to 10am

    >That's because only very few people would stay up to 2am in order to start
    >a download, but most people would be happy to stay up to midnight in order
    >to start a download - and Windoze doesn't come with cron installed.

    It's not hard to schedule downloading to begin at whatever time you wish. Even
    bittorrent lets you control what speed it's running at for any given time of the
    day.
    Craig Shore, May 27, 2006
  8. On Sun, 28 May 2006 05:57:40 +1200, Craig Shore wrote:

    > It's not hard to schedule downloading to begin at whatever time you
    > wish. Even bittorrent lets you control what speed it's running at for
    > any given time of the day.

    I thought that bittorrent is a protocol.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 27, 2006
  9. Wombus

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 09:07:06 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 May 2006 05:57:40 +1200, Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> It's not hard to schedule downloading to begin at whatever time you
    >> wish. Even bittorrent lets you control what speed it's running at for
    >> any given time of the day.

    >I thought that bittorrent is a protocol.

    No, you know that bittorrent is a protocol. Your above remark is only
    there to have a dig at me for wording that incorrectly.

    Correcting myself, If you use Azureus, a Java based bittorrent client
    that will run on many OS's, with a plugin it will let you
    independently schedule what speed your uploads and downloads are
    running at at any given time of the day.

    So if you want all your porn to start seeding at 2am in the morning,
    it's very easy to do.
    Craig Shore, May 27, 2006
  10. On Sun, 28 May 2006 10:26:58 +1200, Craig Shore wrote:

    > Correcting myself, If you use Azureus, a Java based bittorrent client
    > that will run on many OS's, with a plugin it will let you
    > independently schedule what speed your uploads and downloads are
    > running at at any given time of the day.

    Which specific plugin does this?

    > So if you want all your porn to start seeding at 2am in the morning,
    > it's very easy to do.

    Is that what *you* do?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 27, 2006
  11. Wombus

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 10:32:53 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 May 2006 10:26:58 +1200, Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> Correcting myself, If you use Azureus, a Java based bittorrent client
    >> that will run on many OS's, with a plugin it will let you
    >> independently schedule what speed your uploads and downloads are
    >> running at at any given time of the day.

    >Which specific plugin does this?

    It's called Speed Scheduler. If you run Azureus, go to the Plugins
    dropdown menu, choose Installation Wizzard, then "by list from
    sourceforge.net". When you choose to install the plugin it'll use
    bittorrent to download the files and then install them.
    It's quite good how easy they have made it to install plugins.

    >> So if you want all your porn to start seeding at 2am in the morning,
    >> it's very easy to do.

    >Is that what *you* do?

    Of course not. Off peak starts at 12am.

    :)
    Craig Shore, May 28, 2006
  12. Wombus

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 10:32:53 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 May 2006 10:26:58 +1200, Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> Correcting myself, If you use Azureus, a Java based bittorrent client
    >> that will run on many OS's, with a plugin it will let you
    >> independently schedule what speed your uploads and downloads are
    >> running at at any given time of the day.

    >Which specific plugin does this?
    >

    >> So if you want all your porn to start seeding at 2am in the morning,
    >> it's very easy to do.

    >Is that what *you* do?

    Beats scoping the net for anti-MS material and trolling it on here.
    Invisible, May 28, 2006
  13. Wombus

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-27, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 May 2006 19:14:18 +1200, Wombus wrote:
    >
    >> Also note that Ihug are changing the peak off peak hours from
    >> Midnight/8am to 2am to 10am

    > That's because only very few people would stay up to 2am in order to start
    > a download, but most people would be happy to stay up to midnight in order
    > to start a download - and Windoze doesn't come with cron installed.

    there's a thing called task scheduler, which does most of what cron does,
    but I've not looked for a command-line download tool, but I guess you
    could use it to start a p2p prog.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, May 28, 2006
  14. Wombus

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 12:56:39 +1200, Invisible <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 May 2006 10:32:53 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 28 May 2006 10:26:58 +1200, Craig Shore wrote:
    >>
    >>> Correcting myself, If you use Azureus, a Java based bittorrent client
    >>> that will run on many OS's, with a plugin it will let you
    >>> independently schedule what speed your uploads and downloads are
    >>> running at at any given time of the day.

    >>Which specific plugin does this?
    >>

    >>> So if you want all your porn to start seeding at 2am in the morning,
    >>> it's very easy to do.

    >>Is that what *you* do?

    >Beats scoping the net for anti-MS material and trolling it on here.

    Wonder how many gigs that uses?
    Craig Shore, May 28, 2006
  15. On Sun, 28 May 2006 12:56:39 +1200, Invisible wrote:

    >>> So if you want all your porn to start seeding at 2am in the morning,
    >>> it's very easy to do.

    >>Is that what *you* do?

    > Beats scoping the net for anti-MS material and trolling it on here.

    Are you speaking from personal experience?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 28, 2006
  16. On Sun, 28 May 2006 12:47:26 +1200, Craig Shore wrote:

    >>Which specific plugin does this?

    > It's called Speed Scheduler. If you run Azureus, go to the Plugins
    > dropdown menu, choose Installation Wizzard, then "by list from
    > sourceforge.net". When you choose to install the plugin it'll use
    > bittorrent to download the files and then install them.
    > It's quite good how easy they have made it to install plugins.

    Cool - thanks for the info - appreciated.

    And, yeah - Azureus is very easy to use.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 28, 2006
  17. Wombus

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 10:32:53 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 May 2006 10:26:58 +1200, Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> Correcting myself, If you use Azureus, a Java based bittorrent client
    >> that will run on many OS's, with a plugin it will let you
    >> independently schedule what speed your uploads and downloads are
    >> running at at any given time of the day.

    > Which specific plugin does this?
    >

    >> So if you want all your porn to start seeding at 2am in the morning,
    >> it's very easy to do.

    > Is that what *you* do?

    Easy NCT, you are starting to get out of character.
    Gordon, May 28, 2006
  18. T'was the Sun, 28 May 2006 09:07:06 +1200 when I remembered Have A
    Nice Cup of Tea <> saying something like this:

    It's a program too, see http://www.bittorrent.com/
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, May 28, 2006
  19. T'was the Sun, 28 May 2006 14:46:43 +1200 when I remembered Have A
    Nice Cup of Tea <> saying something like this:

    >> Beats scoping the net for anti-MS material and trolling it on here.

    >Are you speaking from personal experience?

    I believe everyone in nz.comp is. I guess the bad part is, it's not
    even useful anti-MS material. It's just propaganda and FUD.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, May 28, 2006
  20. On Sun, 28 May 2006 01:02:16 +0000, someone purporting to be Jasen Betts
    didst scrawl:

    > On 2006-05-27, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >> to start a download - and Windoze doesn't come with cron installed.

    > there's a thing called task scheduler, which does most of what cron does,
    > but I've not looked for a command-line download tool, but I guess you
    > could use it to start a p2p prog.

    There's also "at", which is similar to cron and is a command-line tool.
    Alternatively you could install Cygwin and get all the benefits of a
    proper cron version along with wget and the like.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, May 29, 2006