    perhaps sometimes three computers?

    TIA

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    Mauricio Freitas, Mar 30, 2005

  2. Mauricio Freitas

    EMB Guest

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:

    > Is it an ok service?

    ihug have sold it off to some Aussie crowd, and not before time - it's
    been an absolute dog for ages. It is NOT a solution for anyone you like.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Mar 30, 2005

  3. EMB wrote:
    > Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    >
    >> Is it an ok service?

    > ihug have sold it off to some Aussie crowd, and not before time - it's
    > been an absolute dog for ages. It is NOT a solution for anyone you like.

    I had ULTRA for a while, it's just as bad as 56k because you still need
    to dial in, so can only upload at 56k, and also last time i checked the
    caps on there plans are like 1gb and 2gb which is not nearly enough for
    one months use at 1megabit+ download. Also when it's to clowdy it's
    total crap, sometimes just doesnt work at all, and other times it is
    just really really slow. If i remember properly it is quite expensive to
    get setup as well.... At the end of the day it is so much of a hassle
    you may as well stick with 56k :D
    Mark Underwood, Mar 30, 2005
  4. Mark Underwood wrote:
    > Also when it's to clowdy it's
    > total crap, sometimes just doesnt work at all, and other times it is
    > just really really slow.

    Did you have satellite based or sky tower?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 30, 2005

  5. > Also, it seems it requires a PCI card. They have two laptops. They do have
    > an old Celeron 1GHz machine I could install the PCI card and run as a
    > gateway. Would you consider their service good enough to share two - or
    > perhaps sometimes three computers?
    >
    > TIA

    a lot of the outlying areas are picking up wireless broadband, is this an
    option at all?

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 30, 2005
  6. Mauricio Freitas

    cowboyz Guest

    Mark Underwood wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it an ok service?

    >> ihug have sold it off to some Aussie crowd, and not before time -
    >> it's been an absolute dog for ages. It is NOT a solution for anyone
    >> you like.

    for sure. It is really really bad. but better than dialup. downloads can
    sit around the 20k/s with boosts to 100k/s (the files you really really
    want now download at 1k/s)

    > I had ULTRA for a while, it's just as bad as 56k because you still
    > need to dial in, so can only upload at 56k, and also last time i
    > checked the caps on there plans are like 1gb and 2gb which is not
    > nearly enough for one months use at 1megabit+ download.

    Rest assured. It gets no where near 1megabit. I have been complaining
    about ultra to ihug for the past couple of years but only keep it cause
    there is nothing else. My last speed test was around 160kbit/sec so I
    emailed them asking if I could only pay 16% of the bill this month and got a
    nice little reply telling me that they don't deal with accounts and to ring

    cowboyz, Mar 30, 2005
  7. "Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote in message

    >> Also, it seems it requires a PCI card. They have two laptops. They do
    >> have
    >> an old Celeron 1GHz machine I could install the PCI card and run as a
    >> gateway. Would you consider their service good enough to share two - or
    >> perhaps sometimes three computers?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > a lot of the outlying areas are picking up wireless broadband, is this an
    > option at all?
    > --

    Not sure. It's outside Paremata/Pekakariki... How can I find whre wireless
    boradband is available?

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    http://www.geekmac.com
    Mauricio Freitas, Mar 31, 2005
  8. On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:38:28 +1200, Mauricio Freitas wrote:

    > "Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Also, it seems it requires a PCI card. They have two laptops. They do
    >>> have
    >>> an old Celeron 1GHz machine I could install the PCI card and run as a
    >>> gateway. Would you consider their service good enough to share two - or
    >>> perhaps sometimes three computers?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> a lot of the outlying areas are picking up wireless broadband, is this an
    >> option at all?
    >> --

    > Not sure. It's outside Paremata/Pekakariki... How can I find whre wireless
    > boradband is available?

    google threw this at me
    http://www2.piperpat.co.nz/nz/computer/isp.html
    but the only providers listed in that for kapiti and paraparaumu dont seem
    promising at all (and they seem to be dial up).. back to ihug it looks
    like

    \|/ ____ \|/
    "@'/ ,. \'@"
    /__|\__/|__\
    \__U_/
    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 31, 2005
  9. Mauricio Freitas

    Frank Sams Guest

    I used ultra DBS for 3 years until Feb this year and had no issues with it
    at all.
    2gb Data cap was fine for e-mail and web surfing. Some times lost connection
    in rain or real bead weather.
    Not as bad as what people make it out to be.

    Frank Sams, Mar 31, 2005
  10. Mauricio Freitas

    EMB Guest

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:

    > Not sure. It's outside Paremata/Pekakariki... How can I find whre wireless
    > boradband is available?

    Wait for Collector_NZ to reappear - he's away on business for a couple
    of days. He knows this geographical area well and he's got a fair idea
    of what wireless is available there (although I think the answer is none).

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Mar 31, 2005
  11. In article <>, lid
    says...
    > I've fired an e-mail to IHUG, but knowing how these companies operate in
    > slow mode I'm prepared to expect a reply in a few days - if ever (I'm not an
    > IHUG customer anyway).
    >
    > In the meantime, I'll ask around here: in-laws live in a place just a little
    > bit out of DSL range. No TelstraClear service. So I thought Ultra satellite
    > service would be something to consider.
    >
    > Is it an ok service?
    >
    > Also, it seems it requires a PCI card. They have two laptops. They do have
    > an old Celeron 1GHz machine I could install the PCI card and run as a
    > gateway. Would you consider their service good enough to share two - or
    > perhaps sometimes three computers?
    >
    > TIA

    As others have pointed out, the service has been sold to
    bordernet.com.au by Ihug. Bordernet have said on their website that they
    will open an office in Ak in April and take over administration of the
    service themselves, at the moment Ihug is still servicing it. Nor sure
    about who is doing sales.

    I've been an Ultra customer (satellite) for years. The guy who did the
    first installation made a hash of it, mounted the lnb on the wrong side,
    the alignment wasn't too good and he didn't tighten the bolts properly.
    So I lost the connection regularly in bad weather. After it finally went
    out of alignment and some other installer came out and set things right,
    everything worked like a charm. It takes extremely hard rain and thick
    cloud cover to interfere now (I think I've had about two hours downtime
    the last year or so).

    Upload speed it as dialup, download speed for me is typically around 50-
    60 KiloBytes/second (500-600kbits) and I can achieve over 1000 kbits in
    ideal conditions using a download splitter and 4 pipes. This seems to
    depend largely on the source of the data. Australian Uni ftp servers for
    instance are very very fast, even though the data has to go to
    California to the satellite uplink first :) Some companies who don't
    have sufficient bandwidth available seem considerably slower.

    Your 1Ghz Celly is more than adequate, I've achieved the aforementioned
    figures with a Celly300 some years back. My machine feeds two other
    comps on the lan and there's no bottleneck browsing, emailing, news-
    reading etc until somebody starts sending out large attachments (which
    ties up the modem to capacity, slows down the packet acknowledgment
    which slows down the down-traffic speed to a crawl as well). Since I am
    using Mercury SMTP relay client on the gateway machine, I can stop that
    though and keep the mail queued until I am ready to let it have the
    connection.

    h.t.h. -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Mar 31, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Mark Underwood wrote:
    >
    >> Also when it's to clowdy it's total crap, sometimes just doesnt work
    >> at all, and other times it is just really really slow.

    > Did you have satellite based or sky tower?

    satelite based
    Mark Underwood, Mar 31, 2005
  13. Mark Underwood wrote:
    >>> Also when it's to clowdy it's total crap, sometimes just doesnt work
    >>> at all, and other times it is just really really slow.

    >> Did you have satellite based or sky tower?

    > satelite based

    sky tower was considerably better... although it still sucked.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 31, 2005