Ihug, UBS and 2Mbit ADSL

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EMB, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Reposted from ihug.general (which won't allow crossposting)

    cobbler© wrote:
    > Any one heard about this
    > just got the letter from telecom saying that My speed is going up from
    > 256kbs to 2mbs...and the price stays the same
    > 59.00 plus isp charges.....
    > what do you all reckon........

    Well...I've had the same letter which is cool. But.... ihug say they
    aren't supporting the Telecom retail plans, and will move us all to
    bliink 256k plans whether we like it or not.

    I rang the ihug helpdesk today to ask about the timing of bliink
    transfers and was told it would be several months before that happens.

    The likely situation is that we'll be moved to the 2M Jetstream plan,
    then ihug will drop us back to 256k bliink when they get it going, which
    is going to *suck* pretty badly.

    I've made the decision to give ihug until the end of the year to decide
    whether they are going to be realistic about the demand for the 2M
    service, and if they won't support it I'm off elsewhere (along with 2
    other people whose internet I administer). If they support the 2M
    offerings I'll probably bring them a few new customers.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 21, 2004

  2. EMB

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Reposted from ihug.general (which won't allow crossposting)
    >
    > cobbler© wrote:
    > > Any one heard about this
    > > just got the letter from telecom saying that My speed is going up from
    > > 256kbs to 2mbs...and the price stays the same
    > > 59.00 plus isp charges.....
    > > what do you all reckon........

    > Well...I've had the same letter which is cool. But.... ihug say they
    > aren't supporting the Telecom retail plans, and will move us all to bliink
    > 256k plans whether we like it or not.
    >
    > I rang the ihug helpdesk today to ask about the timing of bliink transfers
    > and was told it would be several months before that happens.
    >
    > The likely situation is that we'll be moved to the 2M Jetstream plan, then
    > ihug will drop us back to 256k bliink when they get it going, which is
    > going to *suck* pretty badly.
    >
    > I've made the decision to give ihug until the end of the year to decide
    > whether they are going to be realistic about the demand for the 2M
    > service, and if they won't support it I'm off elsewhere (along with 2
    > other people whose internet I administer). If they support the 2M
    > offerings I'll probably bring them a few new customers.
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    The Aussie owners are stuffing up what was once a good ISP.
    ihug offer competitive Internet prices... but BUT only if you dump
    Telecom's reliable phone service for ihug's phone service - which had a
    recent outage in one area going by ihug's recent MOTD.

    2mbs sounds like a good deal, except that ihug are telling you that you
    won't have it for long if ihug has anything to do with it. Going by your
    post.

    You deserve an award for your great patience with ihug (and it's new Aussie
    owners). Your new customers should be supporting competitive NZ owned ISPs,
    EMB.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 21, 2004

  3. EMB

    Ripping Silk Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Reposted from ihug.general (which won't allow crossposting)
    >
    > cobbler© wrote:
    > > Any one heard about this
    > > just got the letter from telecom saying that My speed is going up from
    > > 256kbs to 2mbs...and the price stays the same
    > > 59.00 plus isp charges.....
    > > what do you all reckon........

    makes wired country look a bit expensive now.... that didn't take
    long.... perhaps if wired country upped their speed to 5Mb ? :)

    Ripping Silk, Oct 21, 2004
  4. EMB

    EMB Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > You deserve an award for your great patience with ihug (and it's new Aussie
    > owners). Your new customers should be supporting competitive NZ owned ISPs,
    > EMB.

    Price isn't everything - ihug have generally been reliable, and their
    helpdesk staff generally have a few clues. Compare that with the
    experiences of others as posted here and I'm not unhappy I've stayed at
    ihug. The reason I'll take others there is that I tend to be the first
    support call they make, and if I'm with the same ISP as them I'm
    normally aware of problems before they start ringing me.

    However there comes a time when I run out of loyalty, and that's getting
    pretty close now!

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 21, 2004
  5. EMB

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>
    >> You deserve an award for your great patience with ihug (and it's new
    >> Aussie owners). Your new customers should be supporting competitive NZ
    >> owned ISPs, EMB.

    > Price isn't everything - ihug have generally been reliable, and their
    > helpdesk staff generally have a few clues. Compare that with the
    > experiences of others as posted here and I'm not unhappy I've stayed at
    > ihug. The reason I'll take others there is that I tend to be the first
    > support call they make, and if I'm with the same ISP as them I'm normally
    > aware of problems before they start ringing me.
    >
    > However there comes a time when I run out of loyalty, and that's getting
    > pretty close now!
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    People could do worse than ihug. Should they have problems they don't like,
    they could then blame you for talking them into any ISP. Guide them, but
    leave it to them to make the decision. I know of people who have joined
    Xtra. If that outfit keeps them happy then fair enough. If not, then
    they've got themselves to blame for making that choice.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 21, 2004
  6. EMB

    Hmmm Guest

    Ripping Silk wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Reposted from ihug.general (which won't allow crossposting)
    >>
    >> cobbler© wrote:
    >> > Any one heard about this
    >> > just got the letter from telecom saying that My speed is going up from
    >> > 256kbs to 2mbs...and the price stays the same
    >> > 59.00 plus isp charges.....
    >> > what do you all reckon........

    > makes wired country look a bit expensive now.... that didn't take
    > long.... perhaps if wired country upped their speed to 5Mb ? :)

    Do wired country throttle you to 64kbits ?

    Hmmm, Oct 21, 2004
  7. EMB

    steve Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > I've made the decision to give ihug until the end of the year to decide
    > whether they are going to be realistic about the demand for the 2M
    > service, and if they won't support it I'm off elsewhere (along with 2
    > other people whose internet I administer).  If they support the 2M
    > offerings I'll probably bring them a few new customers.
    >
    > EMB

    It also depends on whether or not Telecom will let them sell it in a way
    that makes any sense for ihug.

    Telecom has shafted all the ISPs who signed up for the 256k UBS offering.

    ......though anyone who did not EXPECT to be shafted must be under the age of
    10.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Oct 21, 2004
  8. EMB

    Ripping Silk Guest

    Hmmm wrote:

    > Do wired country throttle you to 64kbits ?

    yes I think so.. I'm doing the 2mbps plan. break 5Gb peak or 15Gb off
    peak international (for previous 30 days) and you get strangled...

    Ripping Silk, Oct 21, 2004
  9. "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Reposted from ihug.general (which won't allow crossposting)
    >
    > cobbler© wrote:
    > > Any one heard about this
    > > just got the letter from telecom saying that My speed is going up from
    > > 256kbs to 2mbs...and the price stays the same
    > > 59.00 plus isp charges.....
    > > what do you all reckon........

    > Well...I've had the same letter which is cool. But.... ihug say they
    > aren't supporting the Telecom retail plans, and will move us all to bliink
    > 256k plans whether we like it or not.

    With UBS/I-UBS the User has to give permission to the ISP to be able to move
    the customer over. SO if you ahve not given permission then they cannot move
    you over and you'll stay on the Telecom Service.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Oct 21, 2004
  10. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > With UBS/I-UBS the User has to give permission to the ISP to be able to move
    > the customer over. SO if you ahve not given permission then they cannot move
    > you over and you'll stay on the Telecom Service.

    Thanks Craig, that's really useful to know.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 21, 2004
  11. EMB

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Ripping Silk wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Reposted from ihug.general (which won't allow crossposting)
    >>
    >> cobbler© wrote:
    >> > Any one heard about this
    >> > just got the letter from telecom saying that My speed is going up from
    >> > 256kbs to 2mbs...and the price stays the same
    >> > 59.00 plus isp charges.....
    >> > what do you all reckon........

    > makes wired country look a bit expensive now.... that didn't take
    > long.... perhaps if wired country upped their speed to 5Mb ? :)

    So Telecom is offering their 2 mbps service at a discount in areas
    served by Wired Country ? like they offer cheaper phone rates in areas
    served by Telstra ?

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 21, 2004
  12. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > So Telecom is offering their 2 mbps service at a discount in areas
    > served by Wired Country ? like they offer cheaper phone rates in areas
    > served by Telstra ?

    Nope - AIUI Telecom are upgrading all Jetstream Surf 10G accounts to
    2Mbit for the same price regardless of location.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 21, 2004
  13. EMB

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> So Telecom is offering their 2 mbps service at a discount in areas
    >> served by Wired Country ? like they offer cheaper phone rates in
    >> areas served by Telstra ?

    > Nope - AIUI Telecom are upgrading all Jetstream Surf 10G accounts to
    > 2Mbit for the same price regardless of location.

    OIC, I got *the letter* from Telecom, but I'm on the 3GB plan now, which
    is being upgraded to 10GB (then 64kbps), hence the confusion on my part.
    So, $ for $ theres no point in me changing my plan, unless I'm not
    prepared to accept 64kbps if I go over 10GB per month. if I do change,
    I could end up locking myself into a churn fee situation. Surely a
    person in my situation would be better to wait untill the UBS is sorted out.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 21, 2004
  14. EMB

    Ann Other Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > OIC, I got *the letter* from Telecom, but I'm on the 3GB plan now, which
    > is being upgraded to 10GB (then 64kbps), hence the confusion on my part.

    You say *you're* confused?!?!

    How many 3GB plans are there?

    I'm on the 3GB plan but I'm not getting 10gb - the letter says I'll get
    throttled when I go over 3GB but I won't get charged for excess usage.

    Ann Other, Oct 22, 2004
  15. EMB

    Mike_P Guest

    "Ann Other" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> OIC, I got *the letter* from Telecom, but I'm on the 3GB plan now, which
    >> is being upgraded to 10GB (then 64kbps), hence the confusion on my part.

    > You say *you're* confused?!?!
    >
    > How many 3GB plans are there?
    >
    > I'm on the 3GB plan but I'm not getting 10gb - the letter says I'll get
    > throttled when I go over 3GB but I won't get charged for excess usage.

    Yeah mine too. Me thinks Telecom are playing silly buggers again !

    Mike_P, Oct 22, 2004