ihug torrents and general speed

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by iascoot, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. iascoot

    iascoot Guest

    This is getting ridiculous

    i used to be able to download torrents same day, didnt matter what
    torrent i
    selected (i know what to look for), But now, it sits around 10kb IF IM
    LUCKY, and stops so often, im lucky to download 40mb over night, What
    is the
    point of Off-peak caps if thats all i can get?

    HTTP is usually fine, but still get some speed issues

    If it doesnt improve, the next round of new plans due out in end of
    october/start of november, ill probably be changing ISPs

    Ihug used to be about all Speed and getting the best for consumers, but
    since the government proposed to open telecoms copper, they have gone
    silent
    about it, introduced traffic shaping and removed free uploads

    (end of rant)

    iascoot, Sep 17, 2006

  2. iascoot

    Vista Guest

    "iascoot" <> wrote in message
    > This is getting ridiculous
    >
    > i used to be able to download torrents same day, didnt matter what
    > torrent i
    > selected (i know what to look for), But now, it sits around 10kb IF IM
    > LUCKY, and stops so often, im lucky to download 40mb over night, What
    > is the
    > point of Off-peak caps if thats all i can get?
    >
    > HTTP is usually fine, but still get some speed issues
    >
    > If it doesnt improve, the next round of new plans due out in end of
    > october/start of november, ill probably be changing ISPs
    >
    > Ihug used to be about all Speed and getting the best for consumers, but
    > since the government proposed to open telecoms copper, they have gone
    > silent
    > about it, introduced traffic shaping and removed free uploads
    >

    > (end of rant)

    They were going to pump millions into the infrastructure, when they didn't
    believe that the government would unbundle. Now that they have, they have
    gone silent and talked about selling up. Talk is cheap. I would ditch them
    and use a NZ owned company.

    Vista, Sep 17, 2006

  3. iascoot

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > "iascoot" <> wrote in message
    >> This is getting ridiculous
    >>
    >> i used to be able to download torrents same day, didnt matter what
    >> torrent i
    >> selected (i know what to look for), But now, it sits around 10kb IF IM
    >> LUCKY, and stops so often, im lucky to download 40mb over night, What
    >> is the
    >> point of Off-peak caps if thats all i can get?
    >>
    >> HTTP is usually fine, but still get some speed issues
    >>
    >> If it doesnt improve, the next round of new plans due out in end of
    >> october/start of november, ill probably be changing ISPs
    >>
    >> Ihug used to be about all Speed and getting the best for consumers, but
    >> since the government proposed to open telecoms copper, they have gone
    >> silent
    >> about it, introduced traffic shaping and removed free uploads
    >>

    >> (end of rant)
    >>

    > They were going to pump millions into the infrastructure, when they didn't
    > believe that the government would unbundle. Now that they have, they have
    > gone silent and talked about selling up. Talk is cheap. I would ditch them
    > and use a NZ owned company.

    iug/iinet is full of talk. With ihug being up for sale iinet isn't going to
    waste any money on any big upgrades for ihug, and no one can blame them for
    that.
    ihug isn't the same outfit that the Woods had built up.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 17, 2006
  4. iascoot

    Guest

    iascoot wrote:

    > If it doesnt improve, the next round of new plans due out in end of
    > october/start of november, ill probably be changing ISPs

    Oct 26th apparently (according to today's Sunday Star Times)

    7.6MB download (theoretical), no mention of the upload speed. I'm
    assumimg only xtra at the moment.

    Regards
    Miguel

    , Sep 17, 2006
  5. iascoot

    Dogboy Guest

    > Ihug used to be about all Speed and getting the best for consumers, but
    > since the government proposed to open telecoms copper, they have gone
    > silent
    > about it, introduced traffic shaping and removed free uploads

    People seem to have had success with choosing a very low port number
    (sub 1000) and fowarding that (if necessary). Look at a list of the
    first 1000 ports and find one that does TCP traffic that you clearly
    dont use. Turning on connection encryption doesnt hurt either although
    you might want to use the fallback options.

    This tactic has allowed formerly shaped people to download at full speed
    again. Shouldnt be necessary though. Ihug has remained silent on the
    whole matter.

    Dogboy, Sep 17, 2006
  6. iascoot

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:39:56 -0700, miguellint wrote:

    > 7.6MB download (theoretical), no mention of the upload speed. I'm
    > assumimg only xtra at the moment.

    Read the ad again. The words .... and wholesale customers are in it.

    This is the start of a new era. Telcom is wholesale and retail division
    wise. Time is going to tell if that is tounge in cheek or not.

    Gordon, Sep 17, 2006
  7. iascoot

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 16 Sep 2006 17:40:06 -0700, "iascoot" <>
    exclaimed:

    >This is getting ridiculous
    >
    >i used to be able to download torrents same day, didnt matter what
    >torrent i
    >selected (i know what to look for), But now, it sits around 10kb IF IM
    >LUCKY, and stops so often, im lucky to download 40mb over night, What
    >is the
    >point of Off-peak caps if thats all i can get?
    >
    >HTTP is usually fine, but still get some speed issues
    >
    >If it doesnt improve, the next round of new plans due out in end of
    >october/start of november, ill probably be changing ISPs
    >
    >Ihug used to be about all Speed and getting the best for consumers, but
    >since the government proposed to open telecoms copper, they have gone
    >silent
    >about it, introduced traffic shaping and removed free uploads

    Change to TCP1000.

    But don't tell too many people, or they'll cut that off, too.

    And yes, the fact that they are now prepared to implement layer 7
    protocol detection and stealthing of incoming connections upon
    detection of torrents (and a couple of other protocols) shows them to
    no longer be a suitable ISP, whether you use torrents or not.

    Whilst in most other respects we have been very happy with them, we
    too will be moving on come the end of October, unless they sort their
    shit out.

    Fred Dagg, Sep 17, 2006
  8. iascoot

    Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:39:56 -0700, miguellint wrote:
    >
    > > 7.6MB download (theoretical), no mention of the upload speed. I'm
    > > assumimg only xtra at the moment.

    > Read the ad again. The words .... and wholesale customers are in it.
    >
    > This is the start of a new era. Telcom is wholesale and retail division
    > wise. Time is going to tell if that is tounge in cheek or not.

    Hi Gordon...By "wholesale customers" I assumed they meant all ISP's but
    I somehow can't see that happening (at least not immediately). However,
    fingers crossed and all that.

    It still seems pretty pointless whatever the speed when there's a daily
    or monthly usage cap in place.

    Regards
    Miguel

    , Sep 17, 2006
  9. iascoot

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-09-17, iascoot <> wrote:
    > This is getting ridiculous
    >
    > i used to be able to download torrents same day, didnt matter what
    > torrent i
    > selected (i know what to look for), But now, it sits around 10kb IF IM
    > LUCKY, and stops so often, im lucky to download 40mb over night, What
    > is the
    > point of Off-peak caps if thats all i can get?

    40Mb overnight? you'd be better of with dialup!

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Sep 18, 2006
  10. iascoot

    iascoot Guest

    iascoot, Sep 18, 2006
  11. iascoot

    steve Guest

    iascoot wrote:
    > This is getting ridiculous
    >
    > i used to be able to download torrents same day, didnt matter what
    > torrent i
    > selected (i know what to look for), But now, it sits around 10kb IF IM
    > LUCKY, and stops so often, im lucky to download 40mb over night, What
    > is the
    > point of Off-peak caps if thats all i can get?

    On Orcon, with the 3.5MB/512k ADSL plan, I can usually download The
    Daily Show and the Colbert Report (174MB each) at the same time in about
    30 minutes.

    The limiter is your upload bandwidth as it restricts the number of peers
    you can effectively talk to. With 512k upstream speed, you can DOWNload
    a hell of a lot faster because you can interact effectively with many
    more pers and seeds than is possible with 128k.

    steve, Sep 22, 2006
  12. iascoot

    MarkH Guest

    steve <> wrote in news:4513e31d$1
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    > iascoot wrote:
    >> This is getting ridiculous
    >>
    >> i used to be able to download torrents same day, didnt matter what
    >> torrent i
    >> selected (i know what to look for), But now, it sits around 10kb IF IM
    >> LUCKY, and stops so often, im lucky to download 40mb over night, What
    >> is the
    >> point of Off-peak caps if thats all i can get?

    > On Orcon, with the 3.5MB/512k ADSL plan, I can usually download The
    > Daily Show and the Colbert Report (174MB each) at the same time in about
    > 30 minutes.
    >
    > The limiter is your upload bandwidth as it restricts the number of peers
    > you can effectively talk to. With 512k upstream speed, you can DOWNload
    > a hell of a lot faster because you can interact effectively with many
    > more pers and seeds than is possible with 128k.

    3.5MB/128k is ridiculous; soon it will change to full speed/128k which will
    make it even sillier than it already is. Telecom certainly takes the A in
    ADSL seriously! (Ironically making a joke of the product)

    Even 2M/128k should be at least 2M/256k - then it could be called
    broadband.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade