    would even listen to me and bother to look at the problem!) ... how long
    will it take before they actually fix it this time! Of course, absolutely
    nothing about it on the useless "status" page. :-(

    Your Name, Oct 30, 2008

  2. Your Name

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Your Name" <> wrote in message
    news:ged4v6$a6q$...
    > Yet again ihug has screwed up the authentication so Mac dial-up users with
    > Mac OS 9 and earlier can't even log on. This is about the fourth time, and
    > it took two weeks to get it fixed last time (it was one week before they
    > would even listen to me and bother to look at the problem!) ... how long
    > will it take before they actually fix it this time! Of course, absolutely
    > nothing about it on the useless "status" page. :-(

    There is no ihug. There is only Zuul.

    Uh, I mean, Vodafone.

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 30, 2008

  3. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    And now they've managed to screw up the webmail server so I can't get my
    emails at all ... and the worthless Status page still says "there are no
    problems". :-(

    Your Name, Oct 30, 2008
  4. Your Name

    Adam Guest

    Carefully document this. Write them a letter on
    paper soonest.

    Easier to follow up with the overseeing bodies
    down the track. Plus, its gets them motivated
    on their swivel-chairs.

    Is all I can suggest. [Apart from getting a good
    hacker to debug it from your end].

    Adam, Oct 31, 2008
  5. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message

    > Carefully document this. Write them a letter on paper soonest.
    >
    > Easier to follow up with the overseeing bodies down the track. Plus, its

    gets them motivated on their swivel-chairs.

    > Is all I can suggest. [Apart from getting a good hacker to debug it from

    your end].

    The better option would be to ditch ihug completely, but it would be very
    diffcult to change all the email addresses.

    It's annoying that every time I phone up and tell them the problem *IS* at
    their end and has happened before, they still insist on trying to go through
    the standard no-Help Desk script of checking my settings. Now of course it's
    the weekend so absolutely nothing will be done until Monday, if they are
    even bothering to look at it yet at all. The latest drone told me they
    couldn't report a fault with dial-up and they would have to get the
    supervisor to report it, and then told me they will get someone to look at
    the "exchange" ... despite me telling them multiple times that the problem
    is with their authentication server and has nothing to do with the
    phoneline. :-\

    Your Name, Oct 31, 2008
  6. In message <ged4v6$a6q$>, Your Name wrote:

    > Yet again ihug has screwed up the authentication so Mac dial-up users with
    > Mac OS 9 and earlier can't even log on.

    As I recall (it's been a few years since I did dialup) there should be a
    couple of options in the PPP control panel, one to enable logging of the
    authentication exchange, and another to allow you do it manually. May be
    worth trying these.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 31, 2008
  7. Your Name

    Adam Guest

    Your Name wrote:

    > . . . . told
    > me they couldn't report a fault with dial-up and they would have to get
    > the supervisor to report it, and then told me they will get someone to
    > look at the "exchange" ... despite me telling them multiple times that the
    > problem is with their authentication server and has nothing to do with the
    > phoneline. :-\

    But no written response from them, neither on paper
    nor in email.

    Writing requires them to respond in a concrete and
    hopefully reasoned (and thus quotable) way.

    OT: Orcon seems to rate well.

    Adam, Oct 31, 2008
  8. Your Name

    greg Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > Your Name wrote:
    >
    >> . . . . told
    >> me they couldn't report a fault with dial-up and they would have to get
    >> the supervisor to report it, and then told me they will get someone to
    >> look at the "exchange" ... despite me telling them multiple times that the
    >> problem is with their authentication server and has nothing to do with the
    >> phoneline. :-\

    > But no written response from them, neither on paper
    > nor in email.
    >
    > Writing requires them to respond in a concrete and
    > hopefully reasoned (and thus quotable) way.
    >

    > OT: Orcon seems to rate well.

    File a complaint with www.tdr.net.nz

    that seems to get them off their backsides and into action

    Greg

    greg, Oct 31, 2008
  9. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    "greg" <> wrote in message
    > Adam wrote:
    > > Your Name wrote:
    > >
    > >> . . . . told
    > >> me they couldn't report a fault with dial-up and they would have to get
    > >> the supervisor to report it, and then told me they will get someone to
    > >> look at the "exchange" ... despite me telling them multiple times that

    the
    > >> problem is with their authentication server and has nothing to do with

    the
    > >> phoneline. :-\

    > > But no written response from them, neither on paper
    > > nor in email.
    > >
    > > Writing requires them to respond in a concrete and
    > > hopefully reasoned (and thus quotable) way.
    > >
    > > OT: Orcon seems to rate well.

    > File a complaint with www.tdr.net.nz
    >
    > that seems to get them off their backsides and into action
    >
    > Greg

    The problem is that no-Help Desks are fine for novice users to help them
    set-up their system, but they are useless when someone who knows what
    they're doing is trying to report a problem at the ISP's end. I get the same
    problem with a work Xtra account (which is even worse thanks to the silly
    voice "recognition" system they now have) - the problem is never at their
    end, you always have to check your own settings every time you phone, but
    eventually when you do finally get them to actually bother looking into it
    properly they find and fix the problem. You have to keep nagging at least
    daily. :-(

    Your Name, Oct 31, 2008
  10. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    > Your Name wrote:
    >
    > > . . . . told
    > > me they couldn't report a fault with dial-up and they would have to get
    > > the supervisor to report it, and then told me they will get someone to
    > > look at the "exchange" ... despite me telling them multiple times that

    the
    > > problem is with their authentication server and has nothing to do with

    the
    > > phoneline. :-\

    > But no written response from them, neither on paper
    > nor in email.
    >
    > Writing requires them to respond in a concrete and
    > hopefully reasoned (and thus quotable) way.
    >
    > OT: Orcon seems to rate well.

    Emailing does zero good and take literally months to even get a reply, if at
    all. The only thing I've found that eventually works is to phone them at
    least daily and nag them into doing something.

    It strikes me as utterly ridiculous that the exact same problem keeps
    happening roughly every six months (possibly a server software upgrade), but
    it still takes so damn long to get it fixed! Part of that is probably
    because their servers are in America, or Asia.

    Your Name, Oct 31, 2008
  11. In message <geg3kf$1st$>, Your Name wrote:

    > The problem is that no-Help Desks are fine for novice users to help them
    > set-up their system, but they are useless when someone who knows what
    > they're doing is trying to report a problem at the ISP's end.

    The smart ones know how to persevere and get through that obstacle course,
    while the dumb ones are kept out. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2008
  12. Your Name

    Richard Guest

    greg wrote:

    > File a complaint with www.tdr.net.nz
    >

    > that seems to get them off their backsides and into action

    You have to have followed the ISPs complaint process first. IMO the TDR
    is there to impede any real legal action like the car yards have their
    sham and the master builders do their dodgey dealing.

    Richard, Nov 2, 2008
  13. Your Name

    greg Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > greg wrote:
    >
    >> File a complaint with www.tdr.net.nz
    >>

    >> that seems to get them off their backsides and into action

    > You have to have followed the ISPs complaint process first. IMO the TDR
    > is there to impede any real legal action like the car yards have their
    > sham and the master builders do their dodgey dealing.

    It takes 6 weeks of the isp not addressing the problem, file a complaint
    now, they will call vodafone to inform them of pending action and ask
    what they are doing, this will then very quickly filter down to whoever
    is responsible for sorting out the problem, hey presto, problem fixed,
    and vodafone get the message to start paying more attention even though
    formal action was taken by the TDR.

    greg, Nov 2, 2008
  14. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    "Your Name" <> wrote in message
    > Yet again ihug has screwed up the authentication so Mac dial-up users with
    > Mac OS 9 and earlier can't even log on. This is about the fourth time, and
    > it took two weeks to get it fixed last time (it was one week before they
    > would even listen to me and bother to look at the problem!) ... how long
    > will it take before they actually fix it this time! Of course, absolutely
    > nothing about it on the useless "status" page. :-(

    Good grief!! I phoned up again today to see when this problem would be fixed
    and was told "4 to 8 days" ... and that's assuming they're even looking at
    the right problem! Completely and utterly ridiculous. X-(

    This problem has occurred at least three times before, so how to fix it
    should be known by now. Ot is staff turn-over so bad that nobody working
    there now was actually there five months ago!?

    ihug got greedy and become hopeless, but now with Vodafone in charge it's
    simply pathetic. :-(

    Your Name, Nov 4, 2008