Ihug new plans

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Apr 3, 2006.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    I saw Tarryn (?) say on the Ihug NG that the new plans were due out today, I
    look at
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/
    and sure enough we have new plans
    although
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/plans/index.html
    is better

    All plans are now 3.5 MB
    The top two plans are 512 kbps upstream, all the rest stay at 128 up
    The plans start at
    29.95 (inc tolls) + 0.06/MB after the first 500 MB (capped at 59.95)
    39.95 (inc tolls) 3 GB cap (1GB peak + 2 GB Off Peak)
    49.95 (inc tolls) 15 GB (5 GB peak + 10 Off)
    59.95 (inc tolls) 30 GB (10 peak + 20 Off )
    79.95 (inc tolls) 60 GB (20 peak + 40 Off )
    79.95 (inc tolls) 20 GB (10 peak + 10 Off peak ) (512 kbps upstream)
    99.95 (inc tolls) 40 GB (20 peak + 20 Off peak ) (512 kbps upstream)

    add 10 bucks to the figures for non tolls customers
    (I hope my plan doesnt change, Id be $10 worse off, and lose a gig peak
    traffic, just to gain 3.5 MB down)

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.

    Shane, Apr 3, 2006

  2. Shane

    Richard Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > add 10 bucks to the figures for non tolls customers
    > (I hope my plan doesnt change, Id be $10 worse off, and lose a gig peak
    > traffic, just to gain 3.5 MB down)

    Oh great, the 80 gig plan I was about to sign up for is gone, the best they have
    now is the 60 gig with only 20 gig onpeak.

    Bloody telecom.

    Still better off on dialup it seems.

    Richard, Apr 3, 2006

  3. Shane wrote:
    > I saw Tarryn (?) say on the Ihug NG that the new plans were due out today, I
    > look at
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/
    > and sure enough we have new plans
    > although
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/plans/index.html
    > is better
    >
    > All plans are now 3.5 MB
    > The top two plans are 512 kbps upstream, all the rest stay at 128 up
    > The plans start at
    > 29.95 (inc tolls) + 0.06/MB after the first 500 MB (capped at 59.95)
    > 39.95 (inc tolls) 3 GB cap (1GB peak + 2 GB Off Peak)
    > 49.95 (inc tolls) 15 GB (5 GB peak + 10 Off)
    > 59.95 (inc tolls) 30 GB (10 peak + 20 Off )
    > 79.95 (inc tolls) 60 GB (20 peak + 40 Off )
    > 79.95 (inc tolls) 20 GB (10 peak + 10 Off peak ) (512 kbps upstream)
    > 99.95 (inc tolls) 40 GB (20 peak + 20 Off peak ) (512 kbps upstream)
    >
    > add 10 bucks to the figures for non tolls customers
    > (I hope my plan doesnt change, Id be $10 worse off, and lose a gig peak
    > traffic, just to gain 3.5 MB down)

    The $50 with tolls plan has lost 5 gigs (10+10 down to 5+10), but is the
    same for those without tolls; $60 for 5+5. Just like with Orcon, the
    whole "cheaper, faster broadband" thing isn't proving true for many.

    Still Xtra's only offering 10 gig for $60 with tolls, and probably still
    no FTP-able homepages account either (are they still shafting their
    customers on that front?)

    I'm A Trampoline, Apr 3, 2006
  4. > The $50 with tolls plan has lost 5 gigs (10+10 down to 5+10), but is the
    > same for those without tolls; $60 for 5+5. Just like with Orcon, the
    > whole "cheaper, faster broadband" thing isn't proving true for many.
    >
    > Still Xtra's only offering 10 gig for $60 with tolls, and probably still
    > no FTP-able homepages account either (are they still shafting their
    > customers on that front?)

    bastards! it's no cheaper for me either!!

    what a crock!

    Rimu Atkinson, Apr 3, 2006
  5. Shane

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:01:08 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    exclaimed:

    >I saw Tarryn (?) say on the Ihug NG that the new plans were due out today, I
    >look at
    >http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/
    >and sure enough we have new plans
    >although
    >http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/plans/index.html
    >is better
    >
    >All plans are now 3.5 MB
    >The top two plans are 512 kbps upstream, all the rest stay at 128 up
    >The plans start at
    >29.95 (inc tolls) + 0.06/MB after the first 500 MB (capped at 59.95)
    >39.95 (inc tolls) 3 GB cap (1GB peak + 2 GB Off Peak)
    >49.95 (inc tolls) 15 GB (5 GB peak + 10 Off)
    >59.95 (inc tolls) 30 GB (10 peak + 20 Off )
    >79.95 (inc tolls) 60 GB (20 peak + 40 Off )
    >79.95 (inc tolls) 20 GB (10 peak + 10 Off peak ) (512 kbps upstream)
    >99.95 (inc tolls) 40 GB (20 peak + 20 Off peak ) (512 kbps upstream)
    >
    >add 10 bucks to the figures for non tolls customers
    >(I hope my plan doesnt change, Id be $10 worse off, and lose a gig peak
    >traffic, just to gain 3.5 MB down)

    Damn. So our main connection goes from 40GB+40GB to 20GB+40GB, and an
    extra $10 a month.

    And our other connection goes up in price too, and loses it's static
    IP address.

    ****. It might be a bit quicker, but it's definately not cheaper!!

    I wonder if we can keep the old plans?

    Fred Dagg, Apr 3, 2006
  6. Shane

    Wombus Guest

    Re:>
    > I wonder if we can keep the old plans?

    Damn i hope so.... I'll be 5GB Peak a month worse off.... Can I stay on
    my existing plan Indefinitely ? or could they force my plan to
    change???....

    Wombus, Apr 3, 2006
  7. Shane

    Richard Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > Damn. So our main connection goes from 40GB+40GB to 20GB+40GB, and an
    > extra $10 a month.
    >
    > And our other connection goes up in price too, and loses it's static
    > IP address.
    >
    > ****. It might be a bit quicker, but it's definately not cheaper!!
    >
    > I wonder if we can keep the old plans?

    Will be interesting to see if when it goes live it delivers on the faster part
    or if it fails on both counts.

    Im spending the next few months without a connection of my own and just
    borrowing one for mail and web, leaving getting media to the tried method of
    driving places to get. Mind you with petrol prices going up even that will be
    uneconomical soon.

    Richard, Apr 3, 2006
  8. Shane

    Alan Guest

    Apparently those on the old existing plans can stay on them:

    From www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/faqs.html

    I've noticed that ihug has launched new broadband plans. I'm on an old
    broadband plan, what will happen to my plan now?
    You'll stay on your existing plan unless you decide to choose and sign
    up for one of our new plans. You can upgrade your plan at any time
    using my account - your new plan should be activated within one to two
    working days.

    AK

    Alan, Apr 3, 2006
  9. Shane

    MarkH Guest

    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote in

    > I saw Tarryn (?) say on the Ihug NG that the new plans were due out
    > today, I look at
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/
    > and sure enough we have new plans
    > although
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/plans/index.html
    > is better
    >
    > All plans are now 3.5 MB
    > The top two plans are 512 kbps upstream, all the rest stay at 128 up
    > The plans start at
    > 29.95 (inc tolls) + 0.06/MB after the first 500 MB (capped at 59.95)
    > 39.95 (inc tolls) 3 GB cap (1GB peak + 2 GB Off Peak)
    > 49.95 (inc tolls) 15 GB (5 GB peak + 10 Off)
    > 59.95 (inc tolls) 30 GB (10 peak + 20 Off )
    > 79.95 (inc tolls) 60 GB (20 peak + 40 Off )
    > 79.95 (inc tolls) 20 GB (10 peak + 10 Off peak ) (512 kbps
    > upstream) 99.95 (inc tolls) 40 GB (20 peak + 20 Off peak ) (512
    > kbps upstream)
    >
    > add 10 bucks to the figures for non tolls customers
    > (I hope my plan doesnt change, Id be $10 worse off, and lose a gig
    > peak traffic, just to gain 3.5 MB down)

    New plans - some good aspects, some bad ones.

    Lower caps to only 20GB Peak instead of the old 40GB is a substantial drop.
    On the top 2 plans (512 up) they give the choice of throttled or pay for
    extra, kudos for that!
    But the overage charge is $5/GB - that sucks compared to several others ($1
    or $2 per GB).

    Overall their new plans are much better than Xtra's, but suck compared to
    several others.

    Xtra: 3.5/128 with 10GB data - $59.95
    Ihug: 3.5/128 with 10GB data at peak + 20GB data off peak + 10 pop accounts
    + 30GB webspace - $59.95

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Apr 3, 2006
  10. Shane

    Phillip Guest

    > Lower caps to only 20GB Peak instead of the old 40GB is a substantial
    > drop.

    They were still offering 40GB on their ""new"" 2Mb plans, as of today they
    offer 3.5Mb plans & only 20GB.

    I nearly swapped to it! Two days after starting its changed!

    I don't blame Ihug, I blame Telecom with its bandwidth charges.

    Atleast Ihug doesn't charge for upload usage (still showing on their FAQ
    page).

    Phillip, Apr 3, 2006
  11. Wombus wrote:
    > Re:>
    >> I wonder if we can keep the old plans?

    > Damn i hope so.... I'll be 5GB Peak a month worse off.... Can I stay on
    > my existing plan Indefinitely ? or could they force my plan to
    > change???....

    i asked them about this

    yes, you can keep your old plan

    :-D

    Rimu Atkinson, Apr 3, 2006
  12. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > Damn. So our main connection goes from 40GB+40GB to 20GB+40GB, and an
    > extra $10 a month.

    No, it's $10 cheaper per month.

    > And our other connection goes up in price too, and loses it's static
    > IP address.

    No you don't lose your static. None of the prices have gone up, they are all
    the same except for 'medium' and 'heavy' which are now $10 cheaper.

    > I wonder if we can keep the old plans?

    Yes you can if you like.

    Cheers,

    Taryn @ ihug

    Taryn Hamilton, Apr 3, 2006
  13. Shane

    Zonky Guest

    Wombus <> wrote in news:e0qscq$56q$:

    > Re:>
    >> I wonder if we can keep the old plans?

    > Damn i hope so.... I'll be 5GB Peak a month worse off.... Can I stay on
    > my existing plan Indefinitely ? or could they force my plan to
    > change???....

    Yes, you can keep any old plan. No one is compelled to change.

    Z.

    --
    Please remove my_pants when replying by email.

    BOYCOTT MIDAS NZ FOR PLACING ADVERTS DURING LIVE F1 on SKY SPORTS!
    http://boycottmidas.blogspot.com/

    Zonky, Apr 4, 2006
  14. Shane

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 09:45:02 +1200, "Taryn Hamilton"
    <> exclaimed:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> Damn. So our main connection goes from 40GB+40GB to 20GB+40GB, and an
    >> extra $10 a month.

    >No, it's $10 cheaper per month.

    Ah, true, actually. Was looking at the 3.5GB/512, and missed the
    3.5GB/128.

    >> And our other connection goes up in price too, and loses it's static
    >> IP address.

    >No you don't lose your static.

    Ok, so to clarify, we can upgrade one account from the old "light"
    (2Mbps/128/10GB) to the new "power", and maintain our static IP
    address, without having to purchase a "business pack" for $20?

    >None of the prices have gone up, they are all
    >the same except for 'medium' and 'heavy' which are now $10 cheaper.

    Except that many have had their peak time traffic slashed.

    >Cheers,
    >
    >Taryn @ ihug

    While you're here, are uploads still not counted?

    Thanks, Taryn.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 4, 2006
  15. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, so to clarify, we can upgrade one account from the old "light"
    > (2Mbps/128/10GB) to the new "power", and maintain our static IP
    > address, without having to purchase a "business pack" for $20?

    Yes that's correct.

    > While you're here, are uploads still not counted?

    Yep, that's correct also.

    Cheers,

    Taryn @ ihug

    Taryn Hamilton, Apr 4, 2006
  16. Shane

    Struan Judd Guest

    Hello Taryn,

    TH> "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    TH>
    >> Ok, so to clarify, we can upgrade one account from the old "light"
    >> (2Mbps/128/10GB) to the new "power", and maintain our static IP
    >> address, without having to purchase a "business pack" for $20?
    >>

    TH> Yes that's correct.

    Seeing as you're being a font of information and I couldn't find this info
    on the web site,
    What is the story with new connections and a static IP address?

    TTFN, Struan

    Struan Judd, Apr 4, 2006
  17. Shane

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Taryn Hamilton" <> wrote in message

    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > > Ok, so to clarify, we can upgrade one account from the old "light"
    > > (2Mbps/128/10GB) to the new "power", and maintain our static IP
    > > address, without having to purchase a "business pack" for $20?

    > Yes that's correct.
    >
    > > While you're here, are uploads still not counted?

    > Yep, that's correct also.

    Hi Taryn I'm on the above 2Mbps/128/10GB how about a free upgrade to a
    512kbit same 2mbitt with 10 GB limit?

    Craig Sutton, Apr 4, 2006
  18. Shane

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 16:43:09 +1200, "Taryn Hamilton"
    <> exclaimed:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok, so to clarify, we can upgrade one account from the old "light"
    >> (2Mbps/128/10GB) to the new "power", and maintain our static IP
    >> address, without having to purchase a "business pack" for $20?

    >Yes that's correct.
    >
    >> While you're here, are uploads still not counted?

    >Yep, that's correct also.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Taryn @ ihug

    Thanks heaps, Taryn. Your help is genuinely appreciated.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 4, 2006
  19. Shane

    Kiwi Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> Damn. So our main connection goes from 40GB+40GB to 20GB+40GB, and an
    >> extra $10 a month.

    >No, it's $10 cheaper per month.
    >
    >> And our other connection goes up in price too, and loses it's static
    >> IP address.

    >No you don't lose your static. None of the prices have gone up, they are all
    >the same except for 'medium' and 'heavy' which are now $10 cheaper.
    >
    >> I wonder if we can keep the old plans?

    >Yes you can if you like.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Taryn @ ihug

    I hate to disagree, but curremtly I am on a 2Mb Medium with Tolls at
    $69.95/month. This gives 20Gb+20Gb. The new 3.5Mb Medium only gives
    10Gb+20Gb. I will agree that it is $10 cheaper, but I'm getting less
    for my money. My options to get 40Gb are to go to the Heavy and get
    60Gb with Tolls at $79.95 or the Heavy without Tolls for 40Gb at
    $89.95.

    AS most of my activity is during peak hours, I will probably stay with
    the 2Mb at the moment.

    Kiwi

    Kiwi, Apr 4, 2006
  20. Shane

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > Apparently those on the old existing plans can stay on them:
    >
    > From www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/faqs.html
    >

    > I've noticed that ihug has launched new broadband plans. I'm on an old
    > broadband plan, what will happen to my plan now?
    > You'll stay on your existing plan unless you decide to choose and sign up
    > for one of our new plans. You can upgrade your plan at any time using my
    > account - your new plan should be activated within one to two working
    > days.
    >
    > AK

    Don't bet on been able to stay on them for long. The dial up plans were
    completely changed for everyone.
    ihug hasn't got the money to keep advertise on Aardvark.

    As much as 250MB of data each month without the Tolls crap for $30 a month.
    It just doesn't get any better than that - after the first day you'll be
    able to enjoy the rest of the month off line unless you choose to carry on
    with a drip feed that could easily see moderate users pay about $1,000 a
    month.

    10GB for $30 a month without the ihug Tolls crap would be much more
    realistic - compared to the much better deals in other parts of the world.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Apr 4, 2006