    should I purchase.
    TIA
    Brian Tozer
    KiwiBrian, Apr 17, 2006

  2. KiwiBrian

    Malcolm Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > I am on Ihug's blink service and am using the USB modem that they
    > supplied. I have several PCs running XP SP2 and ZoneAlarm and I have
    > trouble networking them reliably.
    > I think that it might be a step towards resolving this problem if I
    > replace the modem with one with a built-in multiport router.
    > Am I right that this will be beneficial?
    > If so, what model of 4 port (I assume) router/modem (RF link not
    > needed) should I purchase.
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    Hi
    Depends what you budget is...? I'm using a Linksys WRT54G at the
    mpment which is wireless as well, however also had an Alcatel one
    which was passed onto a friend :)

    This one looks good if you are close to your exchange:

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=338160
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...770694&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°
    Malcolm, Apr 17, 2006

  3. KiwiBrian

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 05:06:16 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    > I am on Ihug's blink service and am using the USB modem that they supplied.
    > I have several PCs running XP SP2 and ZoneAlarm and I have trouble
    > networking them reliably.
    > I think that it might be a step towards resolving this problem if I replace
    > the modem with one with a built-in multiport router.
    > Am I right that this will be beneficial?
    > If so, what model of 4 port (I assume) router/modem (RF link not needed)
    > should I purchase.

    I got one of the Dick Smiths branded ones, seems solid.

    But I suggest zonealarm is the problem. I have had endless problems with
    client's machines when they have that piece of shit on it. And uninstalling
    it sometimes does not help either! You have to restore the xp TCP stack's
    lsp's (look for a program called winsockfix), or even reinstall the whole
    OS.

    Assuming there is nothing wrong with the cabling or the ethernet interface
    itself.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #334762 +(4676)- [X]

    <UKDJ|Planet> I swear to god
    <UKDJ|Planet> I've just heard a duck tell a joke
    <Jock> o...k
    <UKDJ|Planet> there was as group of ducks on a pond near where i live
    <UKDJ|Planet> one of the ducks was quacking away looking straight at a
    group of like 10 ducks
    <UKDJ|Planet> then he stopped and all the other ducks went mental
    <UKDJ|Planet> it looked just like duck stand-up comedy

    Note: All my comments are copyright 18/04/2006 10:42:58 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Apr 18, 2006
  4. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 05:06:16 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:
    >
    >> I am on Ihug's blink service and am using the USB modem that they
    >> supplied.
    >> I have several PCs running XP SP2 and ZoneAlarm and I have trouble
    >> networking them reliably.
    >> I think that it might be a step towards resolving this problem if I
    >> replace
    >> the modem with one with a built-in multiport router.
    >> Am I right that this will be beneficial?
    >> If so, what model of 4 port (I assume) router/modem (RF link not needed)
    >> should I purchase.

    > I got one of the Dick Smiths branded ones, seems solid.
    >
    > But I suggest zonealarm is the problem. I have had endless problems with
    > client's machines when they have that piece of shit on it. And
    > uninstalling
    > it sometimes does not help either! You have to restore the xp TCP stack's
    > lsp's (look for a program called winsockfix), or even reinstall the whole
    > OS.
    >
    > Assuming there is nothing wrong with the cabling or the ethernet interface
    > itself.

    Thanks Brendan and Malcolm for the advice.
    Brendan I think you are right on the money with ZA possibly being the
    problem. I have long suspected it, but am reluctant to remove it. Closing it
    down never seemed to help.
    Didn't know about winsockfix. Downloaded it.
    Brian.
    KiwiBrian, Apr 18, 2006
  5. KiwiBrian

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:14:53 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    > Thanks Brendan and Malcolm for the advice.
    > Brendan I think you are right on the money with ZA possibly being the
    > problem. I have long suspected it, but am reluctant to remove it. Closing it
    > down never seemed to help.
    > Didn't know about winsockfix. Downloaded it.

    winsockfix just resets the tcp stack back to defaults. Might fix the
    problem, might not.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #329292 +(4352)- [X]

    <Batty> Euch, rap is just missing one letter. c.
    <zeep> rapc?
    <Batty> ...
    <Batty> Crap you idiot. you put the c on the other end
    <zeep> oic
    <Batty> Though you could also say it's missing an e
    <zeep> wtf is erap?
    * Batty bangs his head repeatedly against a wall

    Note: All my comments are copyright 18/04/2006 10:13:14 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Apr 18, 2006
  6. KiwiBrian

    Malcolm Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 05:06:16 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am on Ihug's blink service and am using the USB modem that they
    >>> supplied.
    >>> I have several PCs running XP SP2 and ZoneAlarm and I have trouble
    >>> networking them reliably.
    >>> I think that it might be a step towards resolving this problem if
    >>> I replace
    >>> the modem with one with a built-in multiport router.
    >>> Am I right that this will be beneficial?
    >>> If so, what model of 4 port (I assume) router/modem (RF link not
    >>> needed) should I purchase.

    >> I got one of the Dick Smiths branded ones, seems solid.
    >>
    >> But I suggest zonealarm is the problem. I have had endless problems
    >> with client's machines when they have that piece of shit on it. And
    >> uninstalling
    >> it sometimes does not help either! You have to restore the xp TCP
    >> stack's lsp's (look for a program called winsockfix), or even
    >> reinstall the whole OS.
    >>
    >> Assuming there is nothing wrong with the cabling or the ethernet
    >> interface itself.

    > Thanks Brendan and Malcolm for the advice.
    > Brendan I think you are right on the money with ZA possibly being
    > the problem. I have long suspected it, but am reluctant to remove
    > it. Closing it down never seemed to help.
    > Didn't know about winsockfix. Downloaded it.
    > Brian.

    Try sygate instead of zonealarm?

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°
    Malcolm, Apr 18, 2006
  7. KiwiBrian

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    LOL, I get some serious laughs from some of your sigs Brendan, some of those
    chat-log snippets really crack me up. Thanks.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Apr 18, 2006
  8. KiwiBrian

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:46:17 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > LOL, I get some serious laughs from some of your sigs Brendan, some of those
    > chat-log snippets really crack me up. Thanks.

    Thanks, some of them are pretty funny.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #151227 +(4227)- [X]

    IronChef Foicite: well, there's a lot of reasons
    IronChef Foicite: i mean, roses only last like a couple weeks
    IronChef Foicite: and that's if you leave them in water
    IronChef Foicite: and they really only exist to be pretty
    IronChef Foicite: so that's like saying
    IronChef Foicite: "my love for you is transitory and based solely on your
    appearance"
    IronChef Foicite: but a potato!
    IronChef Foicite: potatos last for fucking ever, man
    IronChef Foicite: in fact, not only will they not rot, they actually grow
    shit even if you just leave them in the sack
    IronChef Foicite: that part alone makes it a good symbol
    IronChef Foicite: but there's more!
    IronChef Foicite: there are so many ways to enjoy a potato! you can even
    make a battery with it!
    IronChef Foicite: and that's like saying "i have many ways in which I show
    my love for you"
    IronChef Foicite: and potatos may be ugly, but they're still awesome
    IronChef Foicite: so that's like saying "it doesn't matter at all what you
    look like, I'll still love you"

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/04/2006 10:38:52 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Apr 19, 2006
  9. On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:46:17 +1200, "~misfit~"

    http://bash.org/?random

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand