Ihug instability

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Damos, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. Damos

    Damos Guest

    I've been with ihug for essentialy the last 7 years in nz and the last
    months or so things have been disappointing.
    The mysterious disappearance of the news servers has me concerned....no
    comment nothing posted here on nz.comp or nz.general
    and usegroups no longer listed on new web page. Just a service changed
    without any notice. Sort of the think I expected from telecom. Sad really

    I'm always a cynic but.....

    Within months of the broadband changes being introduced....the ozzies
    announce they are selling ihug.
    ......maybe they realise that now they are going to have to put serious
    money into upgrading
    the network.....so much easier (and cheaper) to sell it first.

    Saddened

    D.

    Damos, Aug 11, 2006

  2. Damos

    Allistar Guest

    Damos wrote:

    > I've been with ihug for essentialy the last 7 years in nz and the last
    > months or so things have been disappointing.
    > The mysterious disappearance of the news servers has me concerned....no
    > comment nothing posted here on nz.comp or nz.general
    > and usegroups no longer listed on new web page. Just a service changed
    > without any notice. Sort of the think I expected from telecom. Sad really

    I've just recently moved of the paradise newsserver onto Giganews. There are
    a lot more groups and the groups I subscribe to have a lot more messages.
    Messages I post to these nz groups seem to take no longer to propogate to
    the local newsservers. Overall it was a good move, one I recommend.

    > I'm always a cynic but.....
    >
    > Within months of the broadband changes being introduced....the ozzies
    > announce they are selling ihug.
    > .....maybe they realise that now they are going to have to put serious
    > money into upgrading
    > the network.....so much easier (and cheaper) to sell it first.
    >

    > Saddened
    >
    > D.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 11, 2006

  3. In article <op.td392c0b2an4t6@andrew-orac>, says...

    > I've been with ihug for essentialy the last 7 years in nz and the last
    > months or so things have been disappointing.
    > The mysterious disappearance of the news servers has me concerned....no
    > comment nothing posted here on nz.comp or nz.general
    > and usegroups no longer listed on new web page. Just a service changed
    > without any notice. Sort of the think I expected from telecom. Sad really

    Thats typically what happens when a company that was built up by people who
    know and care for what they are doing is taken over by a bunch of suits. All
    the suits care about is their balance sheets, their office furniture and share
    options. And the occasional takeover so they can play monopoly with other
    people's jobs and lives.

    Sucks, doesn't it?

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 11, 2006
  4. Damos

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:26:26 +1200, Damos <> wrote:

    >I've been with ihug for essentialy the last 7 years in nz and the last
    >months or so things have been disappointing.
    >The mysterious disappearance of the news servers has me concerned....no
    >comment nothing posted here on nz.comp or nz.general
    >and usegroups no longer listed on new web page. Just a service changed
    >without any notice. Sort of the think I expected from telecom. Sad really

    There has probably been no comment because the news server is there and working
    fine. I'm reading your message and posting this followup from it. In fact your
    post came from it, so now i'm wondering what news servers it is that you are
    talking about? General news on their www site that they linked to from
    newspapers etc? Just go to www.stuff.co.nz
    Craig Shore, Aug 11, 2006
  5. Damos

    Greg Guest

    ihug used to run a number of regional news servers, all which have now
    gone except for the auckland one, they never informed their customers
    they were going, they just vanished, just leaving news.ihug.co.nz

    Greg, Aug 11, 2006
  6. Damos

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Damos" <> wrote in message
    > I've been with ihug for essentialy the last 7 years in nz and the last
    > months or so things have been disappointing.
    > The mysterious disappearance of the news servers has me concerned....no
    > comment nothing posted here on nz.comp or nz.general
    > and usegroups no longer listed on new web page. Just a service changed
    > without any notice. Sort of the think I expected from telecom. Sad really
    >
    > I'm always a cynic but.....
    >
    > Within months of the broadband changes being introduced....the ozzies
    > announce they are selling ihug.
    > .....maybe they realise that now they are going to have to put serious
    > money into upgrading
    > the network.....so much easier (and cheaper) to sell it first.
    >

    > Saddened
    >
    > D.

    Ihug has has different owners during the time you've been with them. On the
    new website it take quite a hunt to find the news server server settings.
    I wouldn't be surprised if iinet has decided to dump the ihug newsgroups
    ihug.general etc.
    Nothing has been done to get the network status up and running for days
    either. Last time it was up it full of excuses about Telecom. iinet has
    run ihug into the ground which is why iinet is getting rid of it. All iinet
    wanted was ihug's Australian customers, now that it's got them ihug NZ can
    piss off.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Aug 11, 2006
  7. Damos

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <op.td392c0b2an4t6@andrew-orac>, says...
    >>
    >> I've been with ihug for essentialy the last 7 years in nz and the last
    >> months or so things have been disappointing.
    >> The mysterious disappearance of the news servers has me concerned....no
    >> comment nothing posted here on nz.comp or nz.general
    >> and usegroups no longer listed on new web page. Just a service changed
    >> without any notice. Sort of the think I expected from telecom. Sad really
    >>

    > Thats typically what happens when a company that was built up by people
    > who
    > know and care for what they are doing is taken over by a bunch of suits.
    > All
    > the suits care about is their balance sheets, their office furniture and
    > share
    > options. And the occasional takeover so they can play monopoly with other
    > people's jobs and lives.
    >
    > Sucks, doesn't it?
    >
    > -P.

    iinet only bought it to get rid of a bit of the competition in Australia.
    Now that iinet has ihug's Aussie users the NZ outfit which is going nowhere
    can get lost.
    You're also forgetting that ihug was sold to anyone who had the money to
    buy, even some lousy Australians who quickly dumped Ultra cut back on the
    dial up plans. ihug should've been sold to a NZ outfit to begin with.

    I'm glad I left not long after the Wood brothers got out of ihug. The Wood
    brothers got out at the right time before the competition started to eat
    away at ihug too much.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Aug 11, 2006
  8. Damos

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in message
    > ihug used to run a number of regional news servers, all which have now
    > gone except for the auckland one, they never informed their customers they
    > were going, they just vanished, just leaving news.ihug.co.nz

    No doubt Tarn Hamilton is long gone like all the previous managers before
    him since the Wood brothers owned it.
    The guy did his best while iinet was slowly choking ihug.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Aug 11, 2006
  9. Damos

    Bryce Utting Guest

    Greg <> wrote:
    > ihug used to run a number of regional news servers, all which have now
    > gone except for the auckland one, they never informed their customers
    > they were going, they just vanished, just leaving news.ihug.co.nz

    they've all always been the same server: looks like some genius wanted
    to simplify a BIND zone for no good reason. good luck finding the
    details on the new site, though, since they've put up a Google search
    box (good...) without planning for when the site will actually be
    crawled (bad!).

    was that front-page block with the "my ihug" login and the search box
    there yesterday?

    (and someone, PLEASE tell them there's no apostrophe in "FAQs".
    except, of course, for usages such as "The Usenet FAQ's hard to find
    on the new site" ;> )

    butting

    --
    I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable
    then it's because I am.
    Bryce Utting, Aug 12, 2006
  10. Damos

    Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:07:00 +1200, Allistar <> wrote:

    >Damos wrote:
    >
    >> I've been with ihug for essentialy the last 7 years in nz and the last
    >> months or so things have been disappointing.
    >> The mysterious disappearance of the news servers has me concerned....no
    >> comment nothing posted here on nz.comp or nz.general
    >> and usegroups no longer listed on new web page. Just a service changed
    >> without any notice. Sort of the think I expected from telecom. Sad really

    >I've just recently moved of the paradise newsserver onto Giganews. There are
    >a lot more groups and the groups I subscribe to have a lot more messages.
    >Messages I post to these nz groups seem to take no longer to propogate to
    >the local newsservers. Overall it was a good move, one I recommend.

    Easynews is far better and has Direct Binary dnloads..

    >> I'm always a cynic but.....
    >>
    >> Within months of the broadband changes being introduced....the ozzies
    >> announce they are selling ihug.
    >> .....maybe they realise that now they are going to have to put serious
    >> money into upgrading
    >> the network.....so much easier (and cheaper) to sell it first.
    >>

    >> Saddened
    >>
    >> D.

    >Allistar.
    , Aug 12, 2006
  11. Damos

    Vista Guest

    "Damos" <> wrote in message
    > I've been with ihug for essentialy the last 7 years in nz and the last
    > months or so things have been disappointing.
    > The mysterious disappearance of the news servers has me concerned....no
    > comment nothing posted here on nz.comp or nz.general
    > and usegroups no longer listed on new web page. Just a service changed
    > without any notice. Sort of the think I expected from telecom. Sad really
    >
    > I'm always a cynic but.....
    >
    > Within months of the broadband changes being introduced....the ozzies
    > announce they are selling ihug.
    > .....maybe they realise that now they are going to have to put serious
    > money into upgrading
    > the network.....so much easier (and cheaper) to sell it first.
    >

    > Saddened
    >
    > D.

    I suspect you are right. Talk is cheap. It was iHug and slingshot who were
    the main companies behind lobbying the government for unbundling, and they
    promised to invest millions of dollars in NZs network if they did. WIth iHug
    out, and that slingshot woman gone AWOL in her own TV show, I can;t see much
    investment happening. There is no money in being an ISP in nz anyway and
    even less after the network is unbundled.
    Vista, Aug 12, 2006
  12. Damos

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > "Damos" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been with ihug for essentialy the last 7 years in nz and the last
    >> months or so things have been disappointing.
    >> The mysterious disappearance of the news servers has me concerned....no
    >> comment nothing posted here on nz.comp or nz.general
    >> and usegroups no longer listed on new web page. Just a service changed
    >> without any notice. Sort of the think I expected from telecom. Sad really
    >>
    >> I'm always a cynic but.....
    >>
    >> Within months of the broadband changes being introduced....the ozzies
    >> announce they are selling ihug.
    >> .....maybe they realise that now they are going to have to put serious
    >> money into upgrading
    >> the network.....so much easier (and cheaper) to sell it first.
    >>

    >> Saddened
    >>
    >> D.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
    >>

    > I suspect you are right. Talk is cheap. It was iHug and slingshot who were
    > the main companies behind lobbying the government for unbundling, and they
    > promised to invest millions of dollars in NZs network if they did. WIth
    > iHug out, and that slingshot woman gone AWOL in her own TV show, I can;t
    > see much investment happening. There is no money in being an ISP in nz
    > anyway and even less after the network is unbundled.

    The founder of Slingshot is full of it. She never organised a proper
    protest at all, only because her and her little bunch would be crowded out
    from getting on TV for some free publicity. So all 6 of them from Slingshot
    had their own little private protest with TVNZ invited along of course on
    the grounds of parliament.
    With an ego the size of Presley's it's wonder she hasn't setup her own TV
    channel.

    The poor fool even thought that Telecom should make her their next CEO.
    Slingshot can't even host a news service without help from ihug by using
    ihug's news server just like the rest of ihug's customers.

    Bob Jones is on the show for his own amusement more than anyone else's,
    should be good how he plays with the other fools.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Aug 12, 2006
  13. Damos

    Allistar Guest

    wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:07:00 +1200, Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Damos wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been with ihug for essentialy the last 7 years in nz and the last
    >>> months or so things have been disappointing.
    >>> The mysterious disappearance of the news servers has me concerned....no
    >>> comment nothing posted here on nz.comp or nz.general
    >>> and usegroups no longer listed on new web page. Just a service changed
    >>> without any notice. Sort of the think I expected from telecom. Sad
    >>> really

    >>I've just recently moved of the paradise newsserver onto Giganews. There
    >>are a lot more groups and the groups I subscribe to have a lot more
    >>messages. Messages I post to these nz groups seem to take no longer to
    >>propogate to the local newsservers. Overall it was a good move, one I
    >>recommend.

    > Easynews is far better and has Direct Binary dnloads..

    What makes it far better? I don't download from bionary newsgroups, so
    that's not a concern.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 12, 2006
  14. In article <ebii7s$iu7$>, says...

    > ihug used to run a number of regional news servers, all which have now
    > gone except for the auckland one, they never informed their customers
    > they were going, they just vanished, just leaving news.ihug.co.nz

    In fact, last year when I left Ihug, they only ever ran ONE newsserver, with
    countless aliases pointing to it. Same machine in each case. Looks like someone
    maybe scrapped the aliases from the dns or broke the routing.

    Still, it should've been publicised or fixed.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Aug 12, 2006
  15. In article <1155328493.813178@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > iinet only bought it to get rid of a bit of the competition in Australia.
    > Now that iinet has ihug's Aussie users the NZ outfit which is going nowhere
    > can get lost.

    What I said. Suits, playing games.

    > You're also forgetting that ihug was sold to anyone who had the money to
    > buy, even some lousy Australians who quickly dumped Ultra cut back on the
    > dial up plans. ihug should've been sold to a NZ outfit to begin with.

    I can't blame the Woodses. If somebody offered me enough money for my business
    so I'd never have to do another day's work in my life (unless I *want* to), I'd
    probably take it, too.

    Like you said, I didn't expect anything good to come out of that deal for the
    customers, though. 'S why I didn't go back to Ihug after I got dumped on to
    Bordernet with my Ultra connection.
    Final straw was, I had my phone with Ihug, and the tolls went down,
    Telecom refused to take the faults call and I couldn't get through to ihug's
    helpline which was a fscking mess at the time. Naaaw.

    I'd consider going back if/when/once the (new) owners establish a decent record
    for themselves. Once upon a time, Ihug had the most professional helpdesk and
    support in the country, i.m.o. and delivered a good service.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Aug 12, 2006
  16. Damos

    jay Guest

    In article <>,
    ess says...
    > In article <ebii7s$iu7$>, says...
    > >
    > > ihug used to run a number of regional news servers, all which have now
    > > gone except for the auckland one, they never informed their customers
    > > they were going, they just vanished, just leaving news.ihug.co.nz
    > >

    > In fact, last year when I left Ihug, they only ever ran ONE newsserver, with
    > countless aliases pointing to it. Same machine in each case. Looks like someone
    > maybe scrapped the aliases from the dns or broke the routing.
    >
    > Still, it should've been publicised or fixed.

    The notice to update your news server settings is probably in the MOTD
    queue, which is still broken.
    jay, Aug 12, 2006
  17. Damos

    Damos Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 06:13:27 +1200, Craig Shore
    <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:26:26 +1200, Damos <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been with ihug for essentialy the last 7 years in nz and the last
    >> months or so things have been disappointing.
    >> The mysterious disappearance of the news servers has me concerned....no
    >> comment nothing posted here on nz.comp or nz.general
    >> and usegroups no longer listed on new web page. Just a service changed
    >> without any notice. Sort of the think I expected from telecom. Sad
    >> really

    > There has probably been no comment because the news server is there and
    > working
    > fine. I'm reading your message and posting this followup from it. In
    > fact your
    > post came from it, so now i'm wondering what news servers it is that you
    > are
    > talking about? General news on their www site that they linked to from
    > newspapers etc? Just go to www.stuff.co.nz

    Yes you're right. I did post from the ihug news server but only after I
    came
    across other ppl comments that the servers were down but news.ihug.co.nz
    was still running
    For the last 4 years Id used the chch one.

    Only learnt this by using groups.google in frustration because I had had
    no feed for 4 days.

    D.

    Damos, Aug 12, 2006
  18. Damos

    Damos Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 08:26:51 +1200, E. Scrooge > <"<scrooge"@*shot.co.nz>
    wrote:

    > Ihug has has different owners during the time you've been with them. On
    > the
    > new website it take quite a hunt to find the news server server settings.

    Yes. Newsgroups dont appear in the first pull down menu under help.

    Use the search engine on the front page "newsgroups" limit to ihug.

    First return is http://www.ihug.co.nz/help/dialup/newsgroups.html

    2nd one www.ihug.co.nz/contact/email.html

    3rd www.ihug.co.nz/help/dialup/security/spam/index.html

    4th www.ihug.co.nz/help/dialup/ tutorials/tut_newsgroups.html

    You get the picture....

    D.

    Damos, Aug 12, 2006
  19. Damos

    > In article <1155328493.813178@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    >>
    >> iinet only bought it to get rid of a bit of the competition in Australia.
    >> Now that iinet has ihug's Aussie users the NZ outfit which is going
    >> nowhere
    >> can get lost.

    > What I said. Suits, playing games.
    >
    >> You're also forgetting that ihug was sold to anyone who had the money to
    >> buy, even some lousy Australians who quickly dumped Ultra cut back on the
    >> dial up plans. ihug should've been sold to a NZ outfit to begin with.

    > I can't blame the Woodses. If somebody offered me enough money for my
    > business
    > so I'd never have to do another day's work in my life (unless I *want*
    > to), I'd
    > probably take it, too.
    >
    > Like you said, I didn't expect anything good to come out of that deal for
    > the
    > customers, though. 'S why I didn't go back to Ihug after I got dumped on
    > Bordernet with my Ultra connection.
    > Final straw was, I had my phone with Ihug, and the tolls went down,
    > Telecom refused to take the faults call and I couldn't get through to
    > ihug's
    > helpline which was a fscking mess at the time. Naaaw.
    >
    > I'd consider going back if/when/once the (new) owners establish a decent
    > record
    > for themselves. Once upon a time, Ihug had the most professional helpdesk
    > and
    > support in the country, i.m.o. and delivered a good service.
    >
    > -Peter

    At the time the number of buyers with the big money to buy ihug would've
    been limited. A few NZ outfits should've looked ahead. It's a wonder that
    Vodafone didn't even consider buying ihug at the time.
    The Wood brothers sold it at the right time though, as competition was only
    going to make things harder than ever.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Aug 12, 2006
  20. Damos

    Stuart Guest

    > No doubt Tarn Hamilton is long gone like all the previous managers before
    > him since the Wood brothers owned it.
    > The guy did his best while iinet was slowly choking ihug.

    Taryn's still around. He last posted yesterday in ihug.general.

    I suspect the newsgroup mess was a side effect of someone getting in there
    and "cleaning things up" without really knowing what things were doing. My
    favoured entrance to webmail (ihug.co.nz/webmail) broke with the recent
    website change, too (the directory still exists, but there's no index.html).

    Stuart
    Stuart, Aug 12, 2006