Ihug incorrect usage meter?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Apr 6, 2006.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi there

    Has anyone recently noticed ihugs usage meter recording a lot more than
    than what they know they have already downloaded?

    I am currently on their (now old) 10+10 128/2048 broadband plan.
    Between yesterday and today I downloaded some large files totalling
    around 4.8GB. This was confirmed by checking their total combined size
    in Windows Explorer which closely matched the total on another program I
    was running that contained its own internet usage meter.

    Tonight, I logged on to my ihug account and saw that their usage meter
    recorded me as downloading nearly double at 9.4GB over the past two days.

    The guy I spoke to on helpdesk wasn't much help and basically said that
    their meter was 100% correct and there was nothing else they could do.

    Very strange, would anyone have any ideas where that extra 4.6GB may
    have come from other than the ihug usage meter being faulty?

    Thanks

    Alan
    Alan, Apr 6, 2006

  2. Alan

    Andrew Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > Has anyone recently noticed ihugs usage meter recording a lot more than
    > than what they know they have already downloaded?
    >
    > I am currently on their (now old) 10+10 128/2048 broadband plan. Between
    > yesterday and today I downloaded some large files totalling around
    > 4.8GB. This was confirmed by checking their total combined size in
    > Windows Explorer which closely matched the total on another program I
    > was running that contained its own internet usage meter.
    >
    > Tonight, I logged on to my ihug account and saw that their usage meter
    > recorded me as downloading nearly double at 9.4GB over the past two days.
    >
    > The guy I spoke to on helpdesk wasn't much help and basically said that
    > their meter was 100% correct and there was nothing else they could do.
    >
    > Very strange, would anyone have any ideas where that extra 4.6GB may
    > have come from other than the ihug usage meter being faulty?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Alan

    It wasnt uploads was it? seeding?
    Andrew, Apr 6, 2006

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > Alan wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there
    >>
    >> Has anyone recently noticed ihugs usage meter recording a lot more
    >> than than what they know they have already downloaded?
    >>
    >> I am currently on their (now old) 10+10 128/2048 broadband plan.
    >> Between yesterday and today I downloaded some large files totalling
    >> around 4.8GB. This was confirmed by checking their total combined
    >> size in Windows Explorer which closely matched the total on another
    >> program I was running that contained its own internet usage meter.
    >>
    >> Tonight, I logged on to my ihug account and saw that their usage meter
    >> recorded me as downloading nearly double at 9.4GB over the past two days.
    >>
    >> The guy I spoke to on helpdesk wasn't much help and basically said
    >> that their meter was 100% correct and there was nothing else they
    >> could do.
    >>
    >> Very strange, would anyone have any ideas where that extra 4.6GB may
    >> have come from other than the ihug usage meter being faulty?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Alan

    > It wasnt uploads was it? seeding?

    No since Ihug don't count uploads (so they say anyway). The total
    uploads were under 1GB for the period and seeding (overhead) was only
    reported at around 60MB.
    Alan, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Alan

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:13:22 +1200, Alan <> exclaimed:

    >Hi there
    >
    >Has anyone recently noticed ihugs usage meter recording a lot more than
    >than what they know they have already downloaded?
    >
    >I am currently on their (now old) 10+10 128/2048 broadband plan.
    >Between yesterday and today I downloaded some large files totalling
    >around 4.8GB. This was confirmed by checking their total combined size
    >in Windows Explorer which closely matched the total on another program I
    >was running that contained its own internet usage meter.
    >
    >Tonight, I logged on to my ihug account and saw that their usage meter
    >recorded me as downloading nearly double at 9.4GB over the past two days.
    >
    >The guy I spoke to on helpdesk wasn't much help and basically said that
    >their meter was 100% correct and there was nothing else they could do.
    >
    >Very strange, would anyone have any ideas where that extra 4.6GB may
    >have come from other than the ihug usage meter being faulty?

    Well, it is true that a lot more data is actually sent than the actual
    filesize, as there is an overhead, double is a bit odd. I'd expect
    about 25% more than the Windows filesize.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 6, 2006
  5. Alan

    juicyjuice Guest

    i thought i would check mine after reading this..
    and mine reckons i've downloaded 1.7gb international in on peak time... for
    thursday

    after totalling up my downloads that i did, i got a figure of about 846mb -
    nowhere near 1.7gb

    I'll check again in the morning and see what it says for tonites off peak
    downloads compared to actual -

    juicyjuice, Apr 6, 2006
  6. Alan

    juicyjuice Guest

    yeh but they shouldn't/wouldn't be counting overhead against your limit !

    I don't even think overhead data reaches ihug, as your adsl line terminates
    at the exchange..

    juicyjuice, Apr 6, 2006
  7. Alan

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "juicyjuice" <> wrote in message
    > i thought i would check mine after reading this..
    > and mine reckons i've downloaded 1.7gb international in on peak time...

    for
    > thursday

    Mines also gone silly.
    2270.508 megs
    jesus i've never done that much in the one day
    Craig Sutton, Apr 6, 2006
  8. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Great, thanks for that. It doesn't look like its just me.

    Hopefully, the more complaints ihug receives about this, the better and
    the more they are likely to do something about it.

    Doubling up of actual traffic totals by their usage meter is totally
    unacceptable!

    Alan

    Alan, Apr 6, 2006
  9. In article <e12pjc$s10$>, Alan <>
    wrote:

    > Very strange, would anyone have any ideas where that extra 4.6GB may
    > have come from other than the ihug usage meter being faulty?

    Do they charge a premium for data moved during peak times? "DL a Gig at
    midnight, we log 1G. Do it at midday and we'll log 2G"?

    --
    ~Dibley
    Dibley Fanshaw, Apr 6, 2006
  10. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Dibley Fanshaw wrote:
    > In article <e12pjc$s10$>, Alan <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Very strange, would anyone have any ideas where that extra 4.6GB may
    >>have come from other than the ihug usage meter being faulty?

    > Do they charge a premium for data moved during peak times? "DL a Gig at
    > midnight, we log 1G. Do it at midday and we'll log 2G"?

    Not that I am aware of. At least it is not mentioned in their FAQs and
    the helpdesk guy didn't mention that either.
    Alan, Apr 6, 2006
  11. Alan

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 01:14:03 +1200, "juicyjuice" <>
    exclaimed:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:13:22 +1200, Alan <> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>Hi there
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone recently noticed ihugs usage meter recording a lot more than
    >>>than what they know they have already downloaded?
    >>>
    >>>I am currently on their (now old) 10+10 128/2048 broadband plan.
    >>>Between yesterday and today I downloaded some large files totalling
    >>>around 4.8GB. This was confirmed by checking their total combined size
    >>>in Windows Explorer which closely matched the total on another program I
    >>>was running that contained its own internet usage meter.
    >>>
    >>>Tonight, I logged on to my ihug account and saw that their usage meter
    >>>recorded me as downloading nearly double at 9.4GB over the past two days.
    >>>
    >>>The guy I spoke to on helpdesk wasn't much help and basically said that
    >>>their meter was 100% correct and there was nothing else they could do.
    >>>
    >>>Very strange, would anyone have any ideas where that extra 4.6GB may
    >>>have come from other than the ihug usage meter being faulty?

    >> Well, it is true that a lot more data is actually sent than the actual
    >> filesize, as there is an overhead, double is a bit odd. I'd expect
    >> about 25% more than the Windows filesize.

    <top-posting corrected>

    >yeh but they shouldn't/wouldn't be counting overhead against your limit !
    >
    >I don't even think overhead data reaches ihug, as your adsl line terminates
    >at the exchange..

    But most of the overhead is still sent between server and client. The
    ISP is probably completely unaware of what is overhead, and what is
    not.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 7, 2006
  12. Alan

    juicyjuice Guest

    downloaded 500mb last nite, and it says 1gb

    Tried to call their 0800 numbers and get the disconnected tone, ouch

    this is shocking

    juicyjuice, Apr 7, 2006
  13. Alan

    Tim Guest

    Alan <> wrote in news:e13oui$lp8$:

    > Great, thanks for that. It doesn't look like its just me.
    >
    > Hopefully, the more complaints ihug receives about this, the better and
    > the more they are likely to do something about it.
    >
    > Doubling up of actual traffic totals by their usage meter is totally
    > unacceptable!
    >
    > Alan

    I checked my traffic last night against my own traffic logs - IHUG have me
    down for 1500.606MB, and I recorded 1.53GB with ifmonitor
    (http://ifmonitor.preteritoimperfeito.com/). It is a similar situation
    with yesterdays on peak usage - IHUG say 2820MB, I say 2.87GB. Their
    traffic meter looks pretty accurate in my case.

    Maybe if you are concerned that IHUG are not counting your traffic
    properly you should consider installing a traffic monitor such as DUMeter
    to check what you are actually doing rather than what you think you are
    doing.

    --
    Tim
    Tim, Apr 7, 2006
  14. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > Alan <> wrote in news:e13oui$lp8$:
    >

    >>Great, thanks for that. It doesn't look like its just me.
    >>
    >>Hopefully, the more complaints ihug receives about this, the better and
    >>the more they are likely to do something about it.
    >>
    >>Doubling up of actual traffic totals by their usage meter is totally
    >>unacceptable!
    >>
    >>Alan

    > I checked my traffic last night against my own traffic logs - IHUG have me
    > down for 1500.606MB, and I recorded 1.53GB with ifmonitor
    > (http://ifmonitor.preteritoimperfeito.com/). It is a similar situation
    > with yesterdays on peak usage - IHUG say 2820MB, I say 2.87GB. Their
    > traffic meter looks pretty accurate in my case.
    >
    > Maybe if you are concerned that IHUG are not counting your traffic
    > properly you should consider installing a traffic monitor such as DUMeter
    > to check what you are actually doing rather than what you think you are
    > doing.

    Already have although not DUMeter. Both Netlimiter and the other
    application I was running agreed very closely with the 4.8GB I reached
    by totalling the file sizes with Explorer.
    Alan, Apr 7, 2006
  15. Alan

    Alan Guest

    juicyjuice wrote:

    > downloaded 500mb last nite, and it says 1gb
    >
    > Tried to call their 0800 numbers and get the disconnected tone, ouch
    >
    > this is shocking
    >
    > "juicyjuice" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>i thought i would check mine after reading this..
    >>and mine reckons i've downloaded 1.7gb international in on peak time...
    >>for thursday
    >>
    >>after totalling up my downloads that i did, i got a figure of about
    >>846mb - nowhere near 1.7gb
    >>
    >>I'll check again in the morning and see what it says for tonites off peak
    >>downloads compared to actual -
    >>
    >>"Alan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi there
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone recently noticed ihugs usage meter recording a lot more than
    >>>than what they know they have already downloaded?
    >>>
    >>>I am currently on their (now old) 10+10 128/2048 broadband plan. Between
    >>>yesterday and today I downloaded some large files totalling around 4.8GB.
    >>>This was confirmed by checking their total combined size in Windows
    >>>Explorer which closely matched the total on another program I was running
    >>>that contained its own internet usage meter.
    >>>
    >>>Tonight, I logged on to my ihug account and saw that their usage meter
    >>>recorded me as downloading nearly double at 9.4GB over the past two days.
    >>>
    >>>The guy I spoke to on helpdesk wasn't much help and basically said that
    >>>their meter was 100% correct and there was nothing else they could do.
    >>>
    >>>Very strange, would anyone have any ideas where that extra 4.6GB may have
    >>>come from other than the ihug usage meter being faulty?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Alan

    Keep trying. I spoke again will their helpdesk this morning. He checked
    up with their network staff but they still came back insisting that I
    had used 9.4GB. He also suggested that the usage meter may read around
    25% higher due to acknowledgement traffic that is not actually received.
    Even if this is the case, it still falls well short of the near 100%
    in our cases.

    After further discussion, the matter has now been referred to one of
    their managers who I hope will come back with something more positive.

    Cheers, Alan
    Alan, Apr 7, 2006
  16. Alan

    Shane Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > juicyjuice wrote:
    >
    >> downloaded 500mb last nite, and it says 1gb
    >>
    >> Tried to call their 0800 numbers and get the disconnected tone, ouch
    >>
    >> this is shocking
    >>
    >> "juicyjuice" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>i thought i would check mine after reading this..
    >>>and mine reckons i've downloaded 1.7gb international in on peak time...
    >>>for thursday
    >>>
    >>>after totalling up my downloads that i did, i got a figure of about
    >>>846mb - nowhere near 1.7gb
    >>>
    >>>I'll check again in the morning and see what it says for tonites off peak
    >>>downloads compared to actual -
    >>>
    >>>"Alan" <> wrote in message

    > Keep trying. I spoke again will their helpdesk this morning. He checked
    > up with their network staff but they still came back insisting that I
    > had used 9.4GB. He also suggested that the usage meter may read around
    > 25% higher due to acknowledgement traffic that is not actually received.
    > Even if this is the case, it still falls well short of the near 100%
    > in our cases.
    >
    > After further discussion, the matter has now been referred to one of
    > their managers who I hope will come back with something more positive.
    >
    > Cheers, Alan

    er, I hope hes not saying acks (upstream) are counted in the cap, as I
    understood only downloads were counted
    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 7, 2006