    getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives with decent szied
    datacaps?
    Geoff
    Geoff M, May 4, 2007

  2. Geoff M

    Shane Guest

    Geoff M wrote:

    > Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting, especially in
    > the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be faster.It has
    > been getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives with decent szied
    > datacaps?
    > Geoff

    I've just been put onto a new port at the exchange, and I am getting what I
    paid for.
    HTH
    --
    Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
    A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his
    Shane, May 4, 2007

  3. Geoff M

    bambam Guest

    Geoff M <> wrote in

    > Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting,
    > especially in the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be
    > faster.It has been getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives
    > with decent szied datacaps?
    > Geoff

    9.25pm

    Download Speed: 2469 kbps (308.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 126 kbps (15.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml
    bambam, May 4, 2007
  4. Geoff M

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 04 May 2007 09:10:18 GMT, Geoff M <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting, especially in
    >the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be faster.It has been
    >getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives with decent szied
    >datacaps?

    I downloaded a couple of TV progs the other night (evening time) using
    bittorrent and got over 200kbps on each. That was one after the other, not both
    at the same time. i.e. ihug could support me maxing out my connection.
    Craig Shore, May 4, 2007
  5. Geoff M

    Bobs Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > Geoff M <> wrote in
    >
    >> Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting,
    >> especially in the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be
    >> faster.It has been getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives
    >> with decent szied datacaps?
    >> Geoff

    > 9.25pm
    >
    > Download Speed: 2469 kbps (308.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > Upload Speed: 126 kbps (15.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml

    Download Speed: 3366 kbps (420.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 114 kbps (14.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

    This is Orcon in Onehunga.

    Methinks people on Jetstream get about 500kbps. LOL
    Bobs, May 4, 2007
  6. Geoff M

    EMB Guest

    Bobs wrote:

    > Download Speed: 3366 kbps (420.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > Upload Speed: 114 kbps (14.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >
    > This is Orcon in Onehunga.

    I'm getting much the same on both xnet and ihug in Onehunga.
    EMB, May 4, 2007
  7. Geoff M

    bambam Guest

    Geoff M <> wrote in

    > Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting,
    > especially in the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be
    > faster.It has been getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives
    > with decent szied datacaps?
    > Geoff

    7.58am

    Download Speed: 2474 kbps (309.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 128 kbps (16 KB/sec transfer rate)

    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml
    bambam, May 4, 2007
  8. Geoff M

    XPD Guest

    "Geoff M" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting, especially in
    > the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be faster.It has
    > been
    > getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives with decent szied
    > datacaps?
    > Geoff

    I just joined IHUG after being with Sloosh/Slowsilver and its a dream
    compared to them...........

    But yeah, did notice last night while in WoW that my pings were all over the
    place.
    Mention it in ihug.general :)
    XPD, May 4, 2007
  9. On Fri, 04 May 2007 21:48:09 +1200, Bobs wrote:

    >> Download Speed: 2469 kbps (308.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >> Upload Speed: 126 kbps (15.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >>
    >> http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml

    > Download Speed: 3366 kbps (420.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > Upload Speed: 114 kbps (14.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >
    > This is Orcon in Onehunga.
    >
    > Methinks people on Jetstream get about 500kbps. LOL

    I have found that the speedtest is mostly accurate for single thread
    transfer rates, however this is not always an accurate indicator of total
    line speed capability.

    Compare the following figures;

    Download Speed: 1781 kbps (222.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 132 kbps (16.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

    This is generally indicative of what I achieve on the nzdsl site, but to
    provide an example...

    A few days ago I had two simultaneous downloads operating using a download
    manager, each using two threads, and browsing in Firefox at the same time.
    OpenOfiice.org was coming in at ~100 KB/s and iTunes off the Apple site at
    ~450 KB/s, for a combined speed of over 550 KB/s ie 4400 kbps (of an
    apparent potential maximum of 7616 kbps, as reported by the modem).

    So, does the nzdsl speedtest provide an accurate indication of the line
    speed capability, or is it constrained by technical limitations?
    Abstract Reasoning, May 5, 2007
  10. Geoff M

    Geoff M Guest

    On Fri, 4 May 2007 09:27:30 +0000 (UTC), bambam wrote:

    > Geoff M <> wrote in
    >
    >> Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting,
    >> especially in the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be
    >> faster.It has been getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives
    >> with decent szied datacaps?
    >> Geoff

    > 9.25pm
    >
    > Download Speed: 2469 kbps (308.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > Upload Speed: 126 kbps (15.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml

    20:47 on that site: It has picked up today, and is now 1478D, 132U.
    Yesterday it would have been 1/10th of that.

    www.speedtest.net gives similar figs for an NZ speed test, but Aidelaide is
    1013k D/ 132 U, and San Jose is 1400D/131 U.

    Hmm, dunno. Still not the 2MB I am paying for.
    Geoff
    Geoff M, May 5, 2007
  11. Geoff M

    El Chippy Guest

    On Sat, 05 May 2007 08:55:53 +0000, Geoff M wrote:

    > www.speedtest.net gives similar figs for an NZ speed test,

    that might be because they are one and the same speedtest :) when it is
    running if you look to the right of the speedometer it says sponsored by
    NZ DSL.

    > Hmm, dunno. Still not the 2MB I am paying for. Geoff

    You expect to get what you are paying for on Telecom NZs network? r u teh
    ser1ous? <bfg>
    El Chippy, May 5, 2007
  12. In message <>, Geoff M wrote:

    > Still not the 2MB I am paying for.

    2MB or 2Mb?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2007
  13. In message <>, Geoff M wrote:

    > Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting, especially in
    > the evenings.

    I had a bad slowdown continuing from weekend before last. At first I thought
    it was throttling because of the big downloads I'd been doing (I'm on
    the "Broadband 3" plan). But after the three-day rolling average had
    expired and nothing had improved, I began to worry.

    This morning I got the obvious answer to my complaint: have you tried
    power-cycling your ADSL router? And would you believe, it worked. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 28, 2007