    the emails will never arrive, in which case they will very soon lose a
    lot of customers. I see that ihug are allowing spam messages to get
    through to their customers but not the messages that they actually want.

    Matty F, Nov 3, 2006

  2. Matty F

    Craig Shore Guest

    On 3 Nov 2006 00:03:53 -0800, "Matty F" <> wrote:

    >What a bloody waste of time it is for ihug to have all those expensive
    >TV adverts at the moment.

    TV advertising is booked more than a week in advance.

    Craig Shore, Nov 3, 2006

  3. Matty F

    Vista Guest

    "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    > What a bloody waste of time it is for ihug to have all those expensive
    > TV adverts at the moment.
    > They should instead spend the money on allowing their existing
    > customers to receive emails which ihug has delayed for days. Or maybe
    > the emails will never arrive, in which case they will very soon lose a
    > lot of customers. I see that ihug are allowing spam messages to get
    > through to their customers but not the messages that they actually want.

    I wonder if vodafone has paid for it yet. They may get a lot less customers
    than they expected after these problems, combined with their crappy new
    plans.

    Vista, Nov 3, 2006
  4. Matty F

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Matty F wrote:

    > What a bloody waste of time it is for ihug to have all those expensive
    > TV adverts at the moment.
    > They should instead spend the money on allowing their existing
    > customers to receive emails which ihug has delayed for days. Or maybe
    > the emails will never arrive, in which case they will very soon lose a
    > lot of customers. I see that ihug are allowing spam messages to get
    > through to their customers but not the messages that they actually want.

    I can receive email (a few, anyway) but I can't send. It asks for the
    password for smtp.ihug.co.nz, but doesn't like the only password I'm
    aware of (the main account password).

    Gib Bogle, Nov 3, 2006
  5. Matty F

    Anony Mouse Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > What a bloody waste of time it is for ihug to have all those expensive
    > TV adverts at the moment.
    > They should instead spend the money on allowing their existing
    > customers to receive emails which ihug has delayed for days. Or maybe
    > the emails will never arrive, in which case they will very soon lose a
    > lot of customers. I see that ihug are allowing spam messages to get
    > through to their customers but not the messages that they actually want.

    Thats the way... Bitch now that spam has got to a level that the system
    doesn't work.

    You all should have known that it would come to this.

    When I started pointing out that it would come to this several months
    ago nobody gave a shit.

    When I tried doing something about illegal meds sites all I got was shit.

    When I called for the need to talk to the government about two criminal
    spammers people just laughed.

    Bleating your heads off is not going to make any difference.

    Do you understand what needs to be done?

    Write to your MP's and demand that something be done about
    Alex Polyakov and Leo Kuvayev.

    Point out that this man Ruslan Ibragimov is still selling his botnet
    abusing software on send-safe.com.

    Tell them that the botnet attacks on New Zealand IP space targeting
    the ANZ bank are the work of the same gang.

    Tell your friends to do the same.

    If you sit around with your finger up you know where expect more of the
    same.

    Anony Mouse

    Anony Mouse, Nov 3, 2006
  6. Matty F

    Anony Mouse Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What a bloody waste of time it is for ihug to have all those expensive
    >>TV adverts at the moment.
    >>They should instead spend the money on allowing their existing
    >>customers to receive emails which ihug has delayed for days. Or maybe
    >>the emails will never arrive, in which case they will very soon lose a
    >>lot of customers. I see that ihug are allowing spam messages to get
    >>through to their customers but not the messages that they actually want.
    >>

    > I wonder if vodafone has paid for it yet. They may get a lot less customers
    > than they expected after these problems, combined with their crappy new
    > plans.

    Are you the same person that is active in nanae with this nick name?

    Anony Mouse, Nov 3, 2006
  7. On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 22:21:50 +1300, Gib Bogle
    <> wrote:

    >Matty F wrote:
    >
    >> What a bloody waste of time it is for ihug to have all those expensive
    >> TV adverts at the moment.
    >> They should instead spend the money on allowing their existing
    >> customers to receive emails which ihug has delayed for days. Or maybe
    >> the emails will never arrive, in which case they will very soon lose a
    >> lot of customers. I see that ihug are allowing spam messages to get
    >> through to their customers but not the messages that they actually want.
    >>

    >I can receive email (a few, anyway) but I can't send. It asks for the
    >password for smtp.ihug.co.nz, but doesn't like the only password I'm
    >aware of (the main account password).

    Several friends on different ISPs are telling me they are all getting
    heaps of spam and legit emails are hours late arriving. Myself, I got
    one just now 12 hours late.

    Benedict Arnold, Nov 3, 2006
  8. Matty F

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Anony Mouse" <> wrote in message
    > Matty F wrote:
    >> What a bloody waste of time it is for ihug to have all those expensive
    >> TV adverts at the moment.
    >> They should instead spend the money on allowing their existing
    >> customers to receive emails which ihug has delayed for days. Or maybe
    >> the emails will never arrive, in which case they will very soon lose a
    >> lot of customers. I see that ihug are allowing spam messages to get
    >> through to their customers but not the messages that they actually want.
    >>

    > Thats the way... Bitch now that spam has got to a level that the system
    > doesn't work.
    >
    > You all should have known that it would come to this.
    >
    > When I started pointing out that it would come to this several months ago
    > nobody gave a shit.
    >
    > When I tried doing something about illegal meds sites all I got was shit.
    >
    > When I called for the need to talk to the government about two criminal
    > spammers people just laughed.
    >
    > Bleating your heads off is not going to make any difference.
    >
    > Do you understand what needs to be done?
    >
    > Write to your MP's and demand that something be done about
    > Alex Polyakov and Leo Kuvayev.
    >
    > Point out that this man Ruslan Ibragimov is still selling his botnet
    > abusing software on send-safe.com.
    >
    > Tell them that the botnet attacks on New Zealand IP space targeting
    > the ANZ bank are the work of the same gang.
    >
    > Tell your friends to do the same.
    >
    > If you sit around with your finger up you know where expect more of the
    > same.

    Unless those spamming are actually in NZ nothing can be done.

    Anyway as the main problem spam bypassing the filters is image based then
    better methods are needed to do the filtering. Maybe start by giving all
    email without embedded images a higher priority on the mail server.

    Craig Sutton, Nov 3, 2006
  9. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Unless those spamming are actually in NZ nothing can be done.
    >
    > Anyway as the main problem spam bypassing the filters is image based then
    > better methods are needed to do the filtering. Maybe start by giving all
    > email without embedded images a higher priority on the mail server.

    I don't know how easy it would be for NZ ISPs to do this, but here is
    my suggestion:

    1. Pass across emails to and from NZ servers immediately, if they pass
    a simple spam check.
    2. If any spam is sourced in NZ, prosecute the culprits and fine them
    $100 per email.
    3. Delay any emails from the countries that are known to be the worst
    offenders. If hundreds of emails arrive together from one server, store
    the whole lot and examine them, manually if necessary. If it's a block
    of mass spam, delete them all and delay all messages from that server
    even longer and notify that server administrator.

    Matty F, Nov 3, 2006
  10. Matty F

    Warwick Guest

    On 3 Nov 2006 05:56:48 -0800, Matty F wrote:

    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    >> Unless those spamming are actually in NZ nothing can be done.
    >>
    >> Anyway as the main problem spam bypassing the filters is image based then
    >> better methods are needed to do the filtering. Maybe start by giving all
    >> email without embedded images a higher priority on the mail server.

    > I don't know how easy it would be for NZ ISPs to do this, but here is
    > my suggestion:
    >
    > 1. Pass across emails to and from NZ servers immediately, if they pass
    > a simple spam check.
    > 2. If any spam is sourced in NZ, prosecute the culprits and fine them
    > $100 per email.
    > 3. Delay any emails from the countries that are known to be the worst
    > offenders. If hundreds of emails arrive together from one server, store
    > the whole lot and examine them, manually if necessary. If it's a block
    > of mass spam, delete them all and delay all messages from that server
    > even longer and notify that server administrator.

    The filtering duty should be passed down to the recieving host machine.
    This bottleneck is of their own making. They never used to filter at the
    ISP level and unltimately they have compromised service in an effort to
    improve it.

    Warwick, Nov 3, 2006
  11. Matty F

    Barry Lennox Guest

    On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 01:02:41 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    snip

    >Unless those spamming are actually in NZ nothing can be done.
    >
    >Anyway as the main problem spam bypassing the filters is image based then
    >better methods are needed to do the filtering. Maybe start by giving all
    >email without embedded images a higher priority on the mail server.

    Well what could be done, is to publish a list of the worst spamming
    countries, select the top offender and block ALL internet traffic
    to/from there. I dare say that Government would then see the way to do
    something about it.

    Then pick on the next offender.

    Incidentally, it's not just Ihug, I have exactly the same issue with
    Slingshot, Emails are delayed for hours to days.

    Here's the real bloody joke, try to get hold of Slingshot help !

    Barry Lennox, Nov 3, 2006
  12. Matty F

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 3 Nov 2006 05:56:48 -0800, in message <>,
    Matty F wrote:

    > 3. Delay any emails from the countries that are known to be the worst
    > offenders.

    Did you mean that to be based on real source IP address, or on
    faked sender email address?

    If on real source IP address, then countries with the most PCs on
    broadband would be delayed -- such as the good ole U.S. of A.

    If on faked sender email address, the suggestion is worthless.

    > If hundreds of emails arrive together from one server, store
    > the whole lot and examine them, manually if necessary. If it's a block
    > of mass spam, delete them all and delay all messages from that server
    > even longer and notify that server administrator.

    Those spam emails do not come from other servers.

    They come from 0wn3d PCs on broadband connections.
    The spammers have control of large numbers of these.
    Blocking them one by one as you suggest is like picking
    up sand one grain at a time.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Nov 3, 2006
  13. Matty F

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    >
    >> What a bloody waste of time it is for ihug to have all those expensive
    >> TV adverts at the moment.
    >> They should instead spend the money on allowing their existing
    >> customers to receive emails which ihug has delayed for days. Or maybe
    >> the emails will never arrive, in which case they will very soon lose a
    >> lot of customers. I see that ihug are allowing spam messages to get
    >> through to their customers but not the messages that they actually want.
    >>

    > I can receive email (a few, anyway) but I can't send. It asks for the
    > password for smtp.ihug.co.nz, but doesn't like the only password I'm
    > aware of (the main account password).

    Fixed. Had to turn off the username/password requirement for smtp.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 3, 2006
  14. Matty F

    Anony Mouse Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    <Snip>

    > Unless those spamming are actually in NZ nothing can be done.
    >
    > Anyway as the main problem spam bypassing the filters is image based then
    > better methods are needed to do the filtering. Maybe start by giving all
    > email without embedded images a higher priority on the mail server.

    What planet do you live on Craig?

    Just because a criminal act is committed oversees does not mean nothing
    should be done about it.

    The main problem!

    What a load of garbage.

    The main problem is the shear amount of spam generated by botnets.

    Now hacking into someones computer to send spam should be seen as a
    serious crime. When that is done on a mass scale then that should be
    seen as a major international crime.

    Anony Mouse

    Anony Mouse, Nov 3, 2006
  15. Matty F

    Anony Mouse Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >

    >>Unless those spamming are actually in NZ nothing can be done.
    >>
    >>Anyway as the main problem spam bypassing the filters is image based then
    >>better methods are needed to do the filtering. Maybe start by giving all
    >>email without embedded images a higher priority on the mail server.

    > I don't know how easy it would be for NZ ISPs to do this, but here is
    > my suggestion:
    >
    > 1. Pass across emails to and from NZ servers immediately, if they pass
    > a simple spam check.
    > 2. If any spam is sourced in NZ, prosecute the culprits and fine them
    > $100 per email.
    > 3. Delay any emails from the countries that are known to be the worst
    > offenders. If hundreds of emails arrive together from one server, store
    > the whole lot and examine them, manually if necessary. If it's a block
    > of mass spam, delete them all and delay all messages from that server
    > even longer and notify that server administrator.

    Hey right...

    Another FUSSP.

    How long will that work for?

    There have been many great minds (All shit for brains) working on this
    issue for ten years.

    Universally the answer has been to block and filter which is never going
    to work.

    Anony Mouse

    Anony Mouse, Nov 3, 2006
  16. Matty F

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 07:57:35 +1300, in message <>,
    Barry Lennox wrote:

    > Well what could be done, is to publish a list of the worst spamming
    > countries, select the top offender and block ALL internet traffic
    > to/from there.

    Then you would have us block all Internet traffic to/from the USA.

    The spam is sent from 0wn3d PCs on broadband connections.

    PCs are 0wn3d all round the globe. Tour "top offenders"
    would be the counties with the most PCs on broadband.
    You would find the USA high on the list.

    Examining some of my recent spam, the country which figures the most
    is the USA.

    > I dare say that Government would then see the way to do
    > something about it.

    Rather than block all Internet traffic to/from the USA, they
    would drop your plan faster than you can blink.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "Curiosity skilled the cat."

    Ralph Fox, Nov 3, 2006
  17. Matty F

    Anony Mouse Guest

    Barry Lennox wrote:
    > On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 01:02:41 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > snip
    >

    >>Unless those spamming are actually in NZ nothing can be done.
    >>
    >>Anyway as the main problem spam bypassing the filters is image based then
    >>better methods are needed to do the filtering. Maybe start by giving all
    >>email without embedded images a higher priority on the mail server.
    >>

    > Well what could be done, is to publish a list of the worst spamming
    > countries, select the top offender and block ALL internet traffic
    > to/from there. I dare say that Government would then see the way to do
    > something about it.
    >
    > Then pick on the next offender.
    >
    > Incidentally, it's not just Ihug, I have exactly the same issue with
    > Slingshot, Emails are delayed for hours to days.
    >
    > Here's the real bloody joke, try to get hold of Slingshot help !

    Again... Yeah right.

    Another FUSSP.

    The list already exists on Spamhuas along with a list of the 200 top
    offenders sending spam.

    Those 200 people need to be locked up end of story.

    Spam problem resolved.

    Anony Mouse

    Anony Mouse, Nov 3, 2006
  18. Matty F

    Anony Mouse Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > What a bloody waste of time it is for ihug to have all those expensive
    > TV adverts at the moment.
    > They should instead spend the money on allowing their existing
    > customers to receive emails which ihug has delayed for days. Or maybe
    > the emails will never arrive, in which case they will very soon lose a
    > lot of customers. I see that ihug are allowing spam messages to get
    > through to their customers but not the messages that they actually want.

    At least one good thing is coming from this thread.

    It can be seen that the problem is occurring at several ISP's.

    Anony Mouse

    Anony Mouse, Nov 3, 2006
  19. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On 3 Nov 2006 05:56:48 -0800, in message <>,
    > Matty F wrote:
    >
    > > 3. Delay any emails from the countries that are known to be the worst
    > > offenders.

    > Did you mean that to be based on real source IP address, or on
    > faked sender email address?
    >
    > If on real source IP address, then countries with the most PCs on
    > broadband would be delayed -- such as the good ole U.S. of A.

    I merely said "delayed" not "rejected". Ihug and Orcon are apparently
    having trouble handling all of their emails because of a huge amount of
    spam. I am suggesting that they handle the within-NZ emails first and
    put suspected spam in a holding file until it can be looked at.
    If it means holding up emails from the US for a few hours, who is going
    to care, and who is going to notice.

    This thread involving the CEOs of e360Insight and Spamhaus is
    fascinating reading:
    http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.net-abuse.email/browse_frm/thread/81975298672fda38?hl=en

    > If on faked sender email address, the suggestion is worthless.

    Of course I am not suggesting that the sender email address be looked
    at.
    I'm surprised that you would even suggest that.

    Matty F, Nov 3, 2006
  20. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Anony Mouse wrote:

    > At least one good thing is coming from this thread.
    >
    > It can be seen that the problem is occurring at several ISP's.

    I have received an email that was delayed at Orcon for 23 days, and
    other emails from the same guy have never arrived and were never
    bounced back to him.
    Somebody using ihug has been waiting for days for work related emails
    and emails from me, but he still gets spam passed through to him from
    ihug.
    All of these wanted emails are completely internal to NZ.
    It should be easy to DELAY emails that are not internal to NZ, until
    there is time to process them or reject them.

    Matty F, Nov 3, 2006