    horizontal Guest

    Does anyone know the file size limit on sending to an ihug pop3 email
    account

    horizontal, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 1, 2004

  3. horizontal

    horizontal Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    news:...
    > horizontal wrote:
    > > Does anyone know the file size limit on sending to an ihug pop3 email
    > > account

    > it seems to be ~10MB from memory.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Hall
    > http://www.dave.net.nz
    > http://www.karyn.net.nz

    Thanks, when I called ihug broadband technical support they said there was
    no limit but I knew for a fact that there was as a 14Mb file was rejected
    because it exceeded the file limit, anyhow strangely they could not give me
    an exact limit but like you they said that under 10Mb might be ok, I wanted
    a black and white answer but after going away to ask on 2 5 minute occasions
    they could not give it to me so the guy then suggested breaking the message
    apart using the outlook express feature that allows this but he could not
    say what the file size limit would then be on each broken part(packet?) of
    the message and whether there would be a limit on the amount of messages
    that could be received at once because if it has to be broken into kilobyte
    sized packets my 1 message will appear as hundreds of messages and I wonder
    if there would be some problem with that as it may look like a spam attack.
    I am sending by dial-up so you can appreciate that I don't want the mail to
    be rejected again.

    horizontal, Oct 1, 2004
  4. horizontal

    Collector-NZ Guest

    horizontal said the following on 1/10/2004 12:19:
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    >
    >>horizontal wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know the file size limit on sending to an ihug pop3 email
    >>>account

    >>it seems to be ~10MB from memory.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Dave Hall
    >>http://www.dave.net.nz
    >>http://www.karyn.net.nz

    > Thanks, when I called ihug broadband technical support they said there was
    > no limit but I knew for a fact that there was as a 14Mb file was rejected
    > because it exceeded the file limit, anyhow strangely they could not give me
    > an exact limit but like you they said that under 10Mb might be ok, I wanted
    > a black and white answer but after going away to ask on 2 5 minute occasions
    > they could not give it to me so the guy then suggested breaking the message
    > apart using the outlook express feature that allows this but he could not
    > say what the file size limit would then be on each broken part(packet?) of
    > the message and whether there would be a limit on the amount of messages
    > that could be received at once because if it has to be broken into kilobyte
    > sized packets my 1 message will appear as hundreds of messages and I wonder
    > if there would be some problem with that as it may look like a spam attack.
    > I am sending by dial-up so you can appreciate that I don't want the mail to
    > be rejected again.

    Is your eml 14Mb or the source file if its the source file Mime bloat
    will make considerably bigger again

    Collector-NZ, Oct 1, 2004
  5. horizontal

    horizontal Guest

    "Collector-NZ" <> wrote in message
    > horizontal said the following on 1/10/2004 12:19:
    > > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in

    message

    > >>it seems to be ~10MB from memory.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Dave Hall
    > >>http://www.dave.net.nz
    > >>http://www.karyn.net.nz

    > > Thanks, when I called ihug broadband technical support they said there

    was
    > > no limit but I knew for a fact that there was as a 14Mb file was

    rejected
    > > because it exceeded the file limit, anyhow strangely they could not give

    me
    > > an exact limit but like you they said that under 10Mb might be ok, I

    wanted
    > > a black and white answer but after going away to ask on 2 5 minute

    occasions
    > > they could not give it to me so the guy then suggested breaking the

    message
    > > apart using the outlook express feature that allows this but he could

    not
    > > say what the file size limit would then be on each broken part(packet?)

    of
    > > the message and whether there would be a limit on the amount of messages
    > > that could be received at once because if it has to be broken into

    kilobyte
    > > sized packets my 1 message will appear as hundreds of messages and I

    wonder
    > > if there would be some problem with that as it may look like a spam

    attack.
    > > I am sending by dial-up so you can appreciate that I don't want the mail

    > > be rejected again.
    > >

    > Is your eml 14Mb or the source file if its the source file Mime bloat
    > will make considerably bigger again

    My email is made up of attachments of about 1.8Mb each and due to the nature
    of this email it would be very inconvenient to break these attachments up
    over multiple emails. I have never had this problem in the past and I have
    sent files bigger than this, obviously file limits vary from isp to isp.

    horizontal, Oct 1, 2004
  6. horizontal wrote:

    > Does anyone know the file size limit on sending to an ihug pop3 email
    > account

    Most ISPs do have a mailbox size limitation. You will not get 100MB or
    200MB or anything like it as you do with Yahoo or the like.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 1, 2004
  7. horizontal wrote:

    > "Collector-NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>horizontal said the following on 1/10/2004 12:19:
    >>
    >>>"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in

    > message

    >>>Thanks, when I called ihug broadband technical support they said there

    > was
    >
    >>>no limit but I knew for a fact that there was as a 14Mb file was

    > rejected
    >
    >>>because it exceeded the file limit, anyhow strangely they could not give

    > me
    >
    >>>an exact limit but like you they said that under 10Mb might be ok, I

    > wanted
    >
    >>>a black and white answer but after going away to ask on 2 5 minute

    > occasions
    >
    >>>they could not give it to me so the guy then suggested breaking the

    > message
    >
    >>>apart using the outlook express feature that allows this but he could

    > not
    >
    >>>say what the file size limit would then be on each broken part(packet?)

    > of
    >
    >>>the message and whether there would be a limit on the amount of messages
    >>>that could be received at once because if it has to be broken into

    > kilobyte
    >
    >>>sized packets my 1 message will appear as hundreds of messages and I

    > wonder
    >
    >>>if there would be some problem with that as it may look like a spam

    > attack.
    >
    >>>I am sending by dial-up so you can appreciate that I don't want the mail

    >>>be rejected again.
    >>>

    >>Is your eml 14Mb or the source file if its the source file Mime bloat
    >>will make considerably bigger again

    > My email is made up of attachments of about 1.8Mb each and due to the nature
    > of this email it would be very inconvenient to break these attachments up
    > over multiple emails. I have never had this problem in the past and I have
    > sent files bigger than this, obviously file limits vary from isp to isp.

    Email is not an ideal means of sending such large files, it would be a
    better idea to look at another way of sending these files.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 1, 2004
  8. horizontal

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Patrick Dunford said the following on 1/10/2004 12:59:
    > horizontal wrote:
    >
    >> "Collector-NZ" <> wrote in message

    >> message

    >> was

    >> rejected

    >> me

    >> wanted

    >> occasions

    >> message

    >> not

    >> of

    >> kilobyte

    >> wonder

    >> attack.

    >>> Is your eml 14Mb or the source file if its the source file Mime bloat
    >>> will make considerably bigger again

    >> My email is made up of attachments of about 1.8Mb each and due to the
    >> nature
    >> of this email it would be very inconvenient to break these attachments up
    >> over multiple emails. I have never had this problem in the past and I
    >> have
    >> sent files bigger than this, obviously file limits vary from isp to isp.

    > Email is not an ideal means of sending such large files, it would be a
    > better idea to look at another way of sending these files.

    Peer 2 Peer or is that Pirate to Pirate

    Collector-NZ, Oct 1, 2004
  9. horizontal

    horizontal Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > horizontal wrote:
    >
    > > "Collector-NZ" <> wrote in message

    > > message

    > > was

    > > rejected

    give

    > > me

    > > wanted

    > > occasions

    > > message

    > > not

    > > of

    messages

    > > kilobyte

    > > wonder

    > > attack.

    mail

    > >>Is your eml 14Mb or the source file if its the source file Mime bloat
    > >>will make considerably bigger again

    > > My email is made up of attachments of about 1.8Mb each and due to the

    nature
    > > of this email it would be very inconvenient to break these attachments

    up
    > > over multiple emails. I have never had this problem in the past and I

    have
    > > sent files bigger than this, obviously file limits vary from isp to isp.

    > Email is not an ideal means of sending such large files, it would be a
    > better idea to look at another way of sending these files.

    It is not possible to send any other way in this particular circumstance,
    otherwise I would have, if I can't do it by email I will have to send it
    physically on a cdr.

    horizontal, Oct 1, 2004
  10. horizontal

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "horizontal" <> wrote in message

    > It is not possible to send any other way in this particular circumstance,
    > otherwise I would have, if I can't do it by email I will have to send it
    > physically on a cdr.

    I'm not sure if its already been mentioned or not, but.....

    Have you tried compressing the file? Winzip or WinRar (better compression)
    are a couple of options. Of course the issue then becomes the receiver needs
    to decompress the file - Winzip allows you to create a self-executing
    compressed file. Of course then their AV will probably spit the dummy, lol.

    HTHs

    Ryan Jacobs, Oct 1, 2004
  11. horizontal

    horizontal Guest

    "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message

    > "horizontal" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > It is not possible to send any other way in this particular

    circumstance,
    > > otherwise I would have, if I can't do it by email I will have to send it
    > > physically on a cdr.
    > >

    > I'm not sure if its already been mentioned or not, but.....
    >
    > Have you tried compressing the file? Winzip or WinRar (better compression)
    > are a couple of options. Of course the issue then becomes the receiver

    needs
    > to decompress the file - Winzip allows you to create a self-executing
    > compressed file. Of course then their AV will probably spit the dummy,

    lol.

    > HTHs

    Thanks but the files cannot be compressed more than they already have been.
    At this stage I will flag it as it is more hassle than it is worth, just
    easier to send a cdr.

    horizontal, Oct 1, 2004
  12. horizontal wrote:
    >>>Does anyone know the file size limit on sending to an ihug pop3 email
    >>>account

    >>it seems to be ~10MB from memory.

    > Thanks, when I called ihug broadband technical support they said there was
    > no limit but I knew for a fact that there was as a 14Mb file was rejected
    > because it exceeded the file limit, anyhow strangely they could not give me
    > an exact limit but like you they said that under 10Mb might be ok, I wanted
    > a black and white answer but after going away to ask on 2 5 minute occasions
    > they could not give it to me so the guy then suggested breaking the message
    > apart using the outlook express feature that allows this

    OE will break them at what ever level you want(I think)... although I
    have had varying results receiving them.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 1, 2004
  13. horizontal

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:31:27 +1200, "horizontal" <> wrote:

    >Thanks but the files cannot be compressed more than they already have been.
    >At this stage I will flag it as it is more hassle than it is worth, just
    >easier to send a cdr.

    Why not get some space on a ftp or http, password protected if needed, and
    upload the file to there, and have the other person download it.

    Sending it by email will roughly double the size of the data to be sent through,
    uploading it to a server won't.

    On the other hand, a CD will fit in a standard envelope so it doesn't cost much
    to send like that.

    Craig Shore, Oct 1, 2004
  14. In article <415cae00$> in nz.comp on Fri, 1 Oct 2004
    13:08:22 +1200, horizontal <> says...

    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > > horizontal wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Collector-NZ" <> wrote in message

    > > > message

    > > > was

    > > > rejected

    > give
    > > >
    > > > me

    > > > wanted

    > > > occasions

    > > > message

    > > > not

    > > > of

    > messages
    > > >
    > > > kilobyte

    > > > wonder

    > > > attack.

    > mail

    > > > My email is made up of attachments of about 1.8Mb each and due to the

    > nature
    > > > of this email it would be very inconvenient to break these attachments

    > up
    > > > over multiple emails. I have never had this problem in the past and I

    > have
    > > > sent files bigger than this, obviously file limits vary from isp to isp.

    > > Email is not an ideal means of sending such large files, it would be a
    > > better idea to look at another way of sending these files.

    > It is not possible to send any other way in this particular circumstance,
    > otherwise I would have, if I can't do it by email I will have to send it
    > physically on a cdr.

    There are other internet means of sending files.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 1, 2004
  15. horizontal

    geoffm Guest

    geoffm, Oct 1, 2004