    --
    S. Nufkin
    [I started life with nothing and still have most of it left]
    S.Nufkin, Aug 26, 2006

  2. S.Nufkin

    Vista Guest

    "S.Nufkin" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've noticed a number of small 'satellite' dishes labelled 'iHug' dotted
    > about ChCh. They're aimed horizontally rather than at a satellite,
    > suggesting it's some sort of microwave link as an alternative to
    > Telescum's so-called broadband. A friend is plagued by line attenuation
    > around 45dB between his house in deepest, darkest Ilam and the nearest
    > exchange, which chokes his connection speed somewhat.
    >
    > I went fossicking at the iHug site and found mention of iHug Connect,
    > but it's prefaced by the statement that Wired Country is no longer being
    > offered. Is iHug Connect the same as Wired Country?
    >
    > --
    > S. Nufkin
    > [I started life with nothing and still have most of it left]

    These dishes have been around for years. Supposedly they only allow
    downloading, so you still need a fixed internet line for the uploading of
    data. ADSL is far superior which is probably why ihug no longer promote the
    service.
    Vista, Aug 26, 2006

  3. S.Nufkin

    Bruce McLay Guest

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:03:22 +1200, "S.Nufkin"
    <> wrote:

    >I've noticed a number of small 'satellite' dishes labelled 'iHug' dotted
    >about ChCh. They're aimed horizontally rather than at a satellite,

    Aimed at Sugarloaf Tower? Used to be a version of ihug's dish service
    I think.
    Bruce McLay, Aug 26, 2006

    There's http://www.yobbo.co.nz/wireless.htm too.
    Mark Robinson, Aug 26, 2006