ihug connect

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by gsosna, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. gsosna

    gsosna Guest

    There was a post here about 2 weeks or so re: ihug's VOIP / Wireless service
    called ihug connect (http://www.ihug.co.nz/connect/)

    Unfortunately the post went on a tangent and it didn't answer the real
    question. I don't want to hear about Jetstream or ADSL.

    Apparently you can get phone & 256k internet for $80/month through Wired
    Country.

    I called ihug numerous times (ok, 4 times) and it seems that everyone tells
    you something else. After a series of technical questions such as
    - can I run a server on it
    - does my ethernet jack give me a public or private IP address (is it
    NAT'ed)?
    - if it's NAT - does the "modem" support pinholing, if yes, what do i do?
    - what's the RTT ?
    - static/dynamic IP
    - "modem's/receiver's" power consumption (in watts/amps), etc...
    - what's the quality of calls - is it the same as ihug's helpdesk?

    I didn't get a real answer, so I asked if they are planning to make this
    available for viewing at their showroom. At first they said it's coming in
    the next couple of days, and now they just say it won't be.

    Also questions about the sound quality are always returned with "it's better
    than Telecom's" - I doubt it until I hear it myself. It seems that they're
    using VOIP at their helpdesk and it's pretty shocking.

    I understand that this service is fairly new, but they offer it, and they
    don't give the answers. Is there any place that I can either get my answers,
    or see the service running?

    Does anybody actually have their service? And can answer my questions?

    I'm desparately trying to run away from Telecom, so any input here on this
    would be appreciated.

    Best regards,
    Greg Sosna
    gsosna, Jul 14, 2004

  2. gsosna

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Jul 15, 2004

  3. gsosna

    SteveM Guest

    "gsosna" <> wrote in

    Answers in line

    > There was a post here about 2 weeks or so re: ihug's VOIP / Wireless
    > service called ihug connect (http://www.ihug.co.nz/connect/)
    >
    > Unfortunately the post went on a tangent and it didn't answer the real
    > question. I don't want to hear about Jetstream or ADSL.
    >
    > Apparently you can get phone & 256k internet for $80/month through
    > Wired Country.
    >
    > I called ihug numerous times (ok, 4 times) and it seems that everyone
    > tells you something else. After a series of technical questions such
    > as
    > - can I run a server on it

    Well you can if you want to - I run an FTP server.

    > - does my ethernet jack give me a public or private IP address (is it
    > NAT'ed)?

    The IP addy given to you is resolveable on the internet so I supose it is
    public then.

    You can actually get a total of 3 ip adresses assigned to your
    connection:
    internet, voip, and "other". If you are not using voip then potentially
    you can connect a hub or switch onto the ethernet port of the WC box
    and have 3 seperate computers with public IP addresses. IP addys
    are assigned by MAC address.

    > - if it's NAT - does the "modem" support pinholing, if yes, what do i
    > do? - what's the RTT ?

    No Nat used. I suggest the use of a ethernet router or a firewall of some
    kind (IPCop is what I use) for at least some protection. Pinholing can be
    carried out on that device.

    > - static/dynamic IP

    Dynamic - but I have not seen mine change for ages. I use the no-ip.com
    dynamic dns service to provide a "static" url for my connection.

    > - "modem's/receiver's" power consumption (in watts/amps), etc...

    Bugger all, not sure really but runs off a plugpack rated at 24v 1.7amps.

    > - what's the quality of calls - is it the same as ihug's helpdesk?

    I have the internet only so cannot comment on this.

    > I didn't get a real answer, so I asked if they are planning to make
    > this available for viewing at their showroom. At first they said it's
    > coming in the next couple of days, and now they just say it won't be.
    >
    > Also questions about the sound quality are always returned with "it's
    > better than Telecom's" - I doubt it until I hear it myself. It seems
    > that they're using VOIP at their helpdesk and it's pretty shocking.
    >
    > I understand that this service is fairly new, but they offer it, and
    > they don't give the answers. Is there any place that I can either get
    > my answers, or see the service running?
    >
    > Does anybody actually have their service? And can answer my
    > questions?
    >
    > I'm desparately trying to run away from Telecom, so any input here on
    > this would be appreciated.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Greg Sosna

    SteveM
    SteveM, Jul 15, 2004
  4. gsosna

    gsosna Guest

    gsosna, Jul 15, 2004
  5. gsosna

    gsosna Guest

    Thanks Steve,
    Appreciate your reply. Very good. In fact I browsed thru this newsgroup and
    noticed your post to a message about VOIP phone earlier:

    If you can see the black band around the skytower from your roof
    consider the Wired Country service through ihug. Uses PPPoE.
    Ihug supply up to 3 (dynamic) ip addresses to each user.
    1 for network, 1 for their phone service (if you use it) and one other
    for something else!

    which gave me a bit more of an idea (PPPoE) what I'd expect from them.

    You say:

    >IP addys are assigned by MAC address.

    so the "installer" hardcodes the ip address to your MAC?

    > > - if it's NAT - does the "modem" support pinholing, if yes, what do i
    > > do? - what's the RTT ?

    > No Nat used. I suggest the use of a ethernet router or a firewall of some
    > kind (IPCop is what I use) for at least some protection. Pinholing can be
    > carried out on that device.

    Great, I get much clearer idea on this now.

    > > - "modem's/receiver's" power consumption (in watts/amps), etc...

    > Bugger all, not sure really but runs off a plugpack rated at 24v 1.7amps.

    If (and it's if, because usually they take much less), it's running at the
    full capacity, it's simple calculation:
    Power = VI = 24 * 1.7 = 40 Watts = 0.04 KW (Power isn't related to
    Voltage)
    Provided I pay 12c per KWh unit:
    Cost = 0.04 KW * $0.12 * 24hrs * 31days = $3.60 per month
    It's around the price of Telecom's "Wire Maintenance Fee" - but that's
    provided it's running at 1.7Amps all the time, I bet it isn't.

    > > - what's the quality of calls - is it the same as ihug's helpdesk?

    > I have the internet only so cannot comment on this.

    I rang some random "ihug connect" numbers and got through to voicemail that
    was recorded by people who own this service. Quality sounded perfect.

    One more question, Steve - how much work is required to install the aerial &
    equipment? I'm moving to a new place (renting) and have to tell Landlords
    how much drilling etc... will be made to the property.

    Do you think they will be OK with NOT cutting Telecom's plug, provided I
    give them another wall socket to connect to?

    Regards,
    Greg.
    gsosna, Jul 15, 2004
  6. gsosna wrote:
    > Thanks Steve,
    > Appreciate your reply. Very good. In fact I browsed thru this newsgroup and
    > noticed your post to a message about VOIP phone earlier:
    > If you can see the black band around the skytower from your roof
    > consider the Wired Country service through ihug. Uses PPPoE.
    > Ihug supply up to 3 (dynamic) ip addresses to each user.
    > 1 for network, 1 for their phone service (if you use it) and one other
    > for something else!
    > which gave me a bit more of an idea (PPPoE) what I'd expect from them.

    Thread hijack...

    Three real world IP address...

    Does that mean someone could DOS your phone?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 15, 2004
  7. gsosna

    EMB Guest

    gsosna wrote:

    > If (and it's if, because usually they take much less), it's running at the
    > full capacity, it's simple calculation:
    > Power = VI = 24 * 1.7 = 40 Watts = 0.04 KW (Power isn't related to
    > Voltage)
    > Provided I pay 12c per KWh unit:
    > Cost = 0.04 KW * $0.12 * 24hrs * 31days = $3.60 per month
    > It's around the price of Telecom's "Wire Maintenance Fee" - but that's
    > provided it's running at 1.7Amps all the time, I bet it isn't.

    But it won't be 100% efficient either - it'll generate heat so it's
    probably more like 60W or so at max load.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Jul 15, 2004
  8. gsosna

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Thread hijack...
    >
    > Three real world IP address...
    >
    > Does that mean someone could DOS your phone?

    Probably, but ihug *should* have been careful enough to block anything
    like that at firewall/router level shouldn't they :-(

    EMB, Jul 15, 2004
  9. gsosna

    *k* Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:34:02 +1200, "gsosna" <>
    wrote:

    sorry to not answer your question.but this sounds typical of ihug
    sadly, bit like their accellerator service for dial up, launched with
    way too many bugs, the US parent has closed leaving around 100 isp's
    worldwide stuck with half decent software, great idea, but sorry, IHUG
    jumped in waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early.

    *k*, Jul 15, 2004
  10. gsosna

    SteveM Guest

    "gsosna" <> wrote in

    > Thanks Steve,
    > Appreciate your reply. Very good. In fact I browsed thru this
    > newsgroup and noticed your post to a message about VOIP phone earlier:
    >
    > If you can see the black band around the skytower from your roof
    > consider the Wired Country service through ihug. Uses PPPoE.
    > Ihug supply up to 3 (dynamic) ip addresses to each user.
    > 1 for network, 1 for their phone service (if you use it) and one
    > other for something else!
    >
    > which gave me a bit more of an idea (PPPoE) what I'd expect from them.
    >
    > You say:
    >
    >>IP addys are assigned by MAC address.

    > so the "installer" hardcodes the ip address to your MAC?

    No, the CPE (the antenna at your end) keeps track of the MAC addresses
    in use. Need to change hardware or network card? Just cycle the power on
    the WC box and it will pick up and use the new MAC addresses. Easy...

    <snip>

    > One more question, Steve - how much work is required to install the
    > aerial & equipment? I'm moving to a new place (renting) and have to
    > tell Landlords how much drilling etc... will be made to the property.

    The installer attached the antenna to an existing "hocky stick" that has
    my public Wifi waveguide antenna on it.
    See: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sdmcc/officeview/antenna1.jpg
    (picture was taken before WC put their antenna there)

    They drilled a hole in the wall to feed the ethernet through, but it
    could of easily fitted through a (closed) window frame.

    > Do you think they will be OK with NOT cutting Telecom's plug, provided
    > I give them another wall socket to connect to?

    I think they provide a cable that plugs into an existing phone jack that
    livens up the whole house. Just disconnect the telecom feed at the jack
    where it comes into the house. It's easy to fix up later if necessary.

    > Regards,
    > Greg.

    SteveM
    SteveM, Jul 15, 2004
  11. On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:34:02 +1200, "gsosna" <>
    wrote:

    One more question you need to have an answer for - 111 emergency
    service. If the mains power is off, you probably will not be able to
    use an ihug phone, whereas a Telecom phone is run from the exchange
    battery and still works (unless you have replaced all your phones with
    cheap mains powered ones). So, in that situation, will you be able to
    call for help if you need it? A cellphone is a possible alternative,
    but will the cellphone system be up, and will there always be one at
    home (and findable) when anyone is there?

    Believe me, when you need 111, you really need them quick, and if you
    can not just pick up a phone and have it work, you need to have
    practiced beforehand what you are going to do. Two minutes lost
    finding a phone can be the difference between losing your house to a
    fire or not.
    Stephen Worthington, Jul 15, 2004
  12. EMB wrote:
    >> Thread hijack...
    >> Three real world IP address...
    >> Does that mean someone could DOS your phone?

    > Probably, but ihug *should* have been careful enough to block anything
    > like that at firewall/router level shouldn't they :-(

    Double edged sword...
    Some users want a "raw" internet connection, otherwise they complain
    about being limited or that the ISP is blocking potentially legitimate
    traffic.

    Others will be pleased that it is "filtered"
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 15, 2004
  13. gsosna

    gsosna Guest

    > They drilled a hole in the wall to feed the ethernet through, but it
    > could of easily fitted through a (closed) window frame.

    Awesome, sounds like all I have to tell the landlord is that they are going
    to install a "sky dish" on the roof...
    ;-)

    Thanks for all your help Steve.

    Greg.