    Price-wise it looks pretty good. Is it worth considering the switch or
    would I be better off sticking with Orcon and waiting for their price
    drop?
    Andrew Gerald, Oct 18, 2005

  2. Andrew Gerald

    gimp Guest

    Andrew Gerald wrote:
    > The ihug Starter plan (2mbps with 4gb cap) looks pretty good for $39.95
    > a month (as long as get tolls through them).

    wtf.... i signed up with blink lite when it was 256K, but just found out
    they're now all 2Mbit plans...? at 49.95 i'm getting only 256K...

    i never got an e-mail from them about the change... when does my account
    morph into a 2Mbit account?
    gimp, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Andrew Gerald

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:25:02 +1300, gimp <> wrote:

    >Andrew Gerald wrote:
    >> The ihug Starter plan (2mbps with 4gb cap) looks pretty good for $39.95
    >> a month (as long as get tolls through them).

    >wtf.... i signed up with blink lite when it was 256K, but just found out
    >they're now all 2Mbit plans...? at 49.95 i'm getting only 256K...
    >
    >i never got an e-mail from them about the change... when does my account
    >morph into a 2Mbit account?

    You have to contact them about it.
    GraB, Oct 18, 2005
  4. On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:25:02 +1300, someone purporting to be gimp didst
    scrawl:

    > Andrew Gerald wrote:
    >> The ihug Starter plan (2mbps with 4gb cap) looks pretty good for $39.95
    >> a month (as long as get tolls through them).

    > wtf.... i signed up with blink lite when it was 256K, but just found out
    > they're now all 2Mbit plans...? at 49.95 i'm getting only 256K...
    >
    > i never got an e-mail from them about the change... when does my account
    > morph into a 2Mbit account?

    If you're paying $49.95, you probably don't have a data cap, right?
    I'm tossing up upgrading, but my flatmate will happily chew through a
    10+10 data cap, which is the equivalent price to what we're currently
    paying for a 256k connection with no data cap.
    Maybe when I move back to Auckland, since it could also be a month before
    the speed upgrade kicks in and I'm here for less than two more months.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Andrew Gerald

    gimp Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > If you're paying $49.95, you probably don't have a data cap, right?

    bzzzt, caps. :( i have 2GB/2GB national & international. or is that peak
    & off-peak... can't remember lol. but definitely a pretty low cap.

    > I'm tossing up upgrading, but my flatmate will happily chew through a
    > 10+10 data cap, which is the equivalent price to what we're currently
    > paying for a 256k connection with no data cap.

    i will say the reliability and constant speed of bliink lite has been
    *flawless* for the 10 months i've been on it. i still think it sux they
    didn't e-mail me about the account changes....
    gimp, Oct 18, 2005
  6. Andrew Gerald

    cowboyz Guest

    "gimp" <> wrote in message
    > Matthew Poole wrote:
    >> If you're paying $49.95, you probably don't have a data cap, right?

    > bzzzt, caps. :( i have 2GB/2GB national & international. or is that peak &
    > off-peak... can't remember lol. but definitely a pretty low cap.
    >

    >> I'm tossing up upgrading, but my flatmate will happily chew through a
    >> 10+10 data cap, which is the equivalent price to what we're currently
    >> paying for a 256k connection with no data cap.

    > i will say the reliability and constant speed of bliink lite has been
    > *flawless* for the 10 months i've been on it. i still think it sux they
    > didn't e-mail me about the account changes....

    I rung them about it and they are saying it will take 7-10 days to upgrade
    the speed from 256k to 2Mbps. why so long?
    cowboyz, Oct 18, 2005
  7. Andrew Gerald

    EMB Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > I rung them about it and they are saying it will take 7-10 days to upgrade
    > the speed from 256k to 2Mbps. why so long?

    4763 other people rang before you and will be changed over before you
    are. :)

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Oct 18, 2005
  8. Andrew Gerald

    cowboyz Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> I rung them about it and they are saying it will take 7-10 days to
    >> upgrade the speed from 256k to 2Mbps. why so long?

    > 4763 other people rang before you and will be changed over before you are.
    > :)
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    But I am more important
    cowboyz, Oct 18, 2005
  9. Andrew Gerald

    Linw Guest

    Andrew Gerald wrote:
    > The ihug Starter plan (2mbps with 4gb cap) looks pretty good for $39.95
    > a month (as long as get tolls through them).
    >
    > However after the hassles with Orcon I'm reluctant to switch to another
    > ISP just like that.
    >
    > Price-wise it looks pretty good. Is it worth considering the switch or
    > would I be better off sticking with Orcon and waiting for their price
    > drop?

    What is XTRA's response going to be? Why would anyone prefer an XTRA
    account now? For the same price I could change to IHUG and get 8 times
    the max speed and 2-4 times the cap.
    Linw, Oct 18, 2005
  10. Andrew Gerald

    Guest

    Will other ISP's such as Orcon follow suit in the near future? If so I
    will stick with them and save the churn fee, but if not then the extra
    speed and lower cost is definitely tempting!
    , Oct 18, 2005
  11. Andrew Gerald

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:20:26 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >"gimp" <> wrote in message
    >> Matthew Poole wrote:
    >>> If you're paying $49.95, you probably don't have a data cap, right?

    >> bzzzt, caps. :( i have 2GB/2GB national & international. or is that peak &
    >> off-peak... can't remember lol. but definitely a pretty low cap.
    >>

    >>> I'm tossing up upgrading, but my flatmate will happily chew through a
    >>> 10+10 data cap, which is the equivalent price to what we're currently
    >>> paying for a 256k connection with no data cap.

    >> i will say the reliability and constant speed of bliink lite has been
    >> *flawless* for the 10 months i've been on it. i still think it sux they
    >> didn't e-mail me about the account changes....
    >>

    >I rung them about it and they are saying it will take 7-10 days to upgrade
    >the speed from 256k to 2Mbps. why so long?

    Telecom have to make the change I think, it alters your actual connect speed to
    the exchange rather than letting your modem connect at full speed and limiting
    the traffic.
    Craig Shore, Oct 18, 2005
  12. Andrew Gerald

    colinco Guest

    In article Linw says...
    > What is XTRA's response going to be? Why would anyone prefer an XTRA
    > account now? For the same price I could change to IHUG and get 8 times
    > the max speed and 2-4 times the cap.

    Isn't Telecom being told by CC that there aren't enough people using
    wholesale broadband. Why would they drop the price of Xtra until all the
    other ISPs have Ferraris as company cars :)
    colinco, Oct 18, 2005
  13. Andrew Gerald

    Linw Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article Linw says...
    >
    >>What is XTRA's response going to be? Why would anyone prefer an XTRA
    >>account now? For the same price I could change to IHUG and get 8 times
    >>the max speed and 2-4 times the cap.
    >>

    > Isn't Telecom being told by CC that there aren't enough people using
    > wholesale broadband. Why would they drop the price of Xtra until all the
    > other ISPs have Ferraris as company cars :)

    That's a point that crossed my mind but this imbalance could lead to a
    landslide! Perhaps XTRA is strapped for cash and wants the churn fees!!
    Linw, Oct 18, 2005
  14. On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:40:49 +1300, someone purporting to be colinco didst
    scrawl:

    > In article Linw says...
    >> What is XTRA's response going to be? Why would anyone prefer an XTRA
    >> account now? For the same price I could change to IHUG and get 8 times
    >> the max speed and 2-4 times the cap.
    >>

    > Isn't Telecom being told by CC that there aren't enough people using
    > wholesale broadband. Why would they drop the price of Xtra until all the
    > other ISPs have Ferraris as company cars :)

    They can't help themselves. Short-term greed overrides any kind of
    longer-term financial sense. If it didn't, they would've stopped
    advertising Xtra "broadband" several months ago in order to try and reduce
    the number of new connections through them. But they didn't, and they're
    now left with less than two months to achieve what is effectively an
    impossible goal.
    As Juha pointed out in ComputerWorld yesterday(?), why would TCL start
    selling the regulated bitstream service before Christmas, even if it's
    possible, when their doing so could well save Telecom from failing to meet
    the wholesale targets? Better to wait a few weeks extra and shaft the
    buggers properly.

    Matthew Poole, Oct 18, 2005
  15. Andrew Gerald

    David Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article Linw says...
    >
    >>What is XTRA's response going to be? Why would anyone prefer an XTRA
    >>account now? For the same price I could change to IHUG and get 8 times
    >>the max speed and 2-4 times the cap.
    >>

    > Isn't Telecom being told by CC that there aren't enough people using
    > wholesale broadband. Why would they drop the price of Xtra until all the
    > other ISPs have Ferraris as company cars :)

    Has anyone else noticed that tv ad, the "Get Broadband" one? It didnt
    mention any ISP, or even telecom, that i can remember, it just said at
    the end "Contact your ISP for details". Is this the work of telecom
    trying to meet that requirement?
    David, Oct 18, 2005
  16. Andrew Gerald

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:40:36 +1300, David wrote:

    > colinco wrote:
    >> In article Linw says...
    >>
    >>>What is XTRA's response going to be? Why would anyone prefer an XTRA
    >>>account now? For the same price I could change to IHUG and get 8 times
    >>>the max speed and 2-4 times the cap.
    >>>

    >> Isn't Telecom being told by CC that there aren't enough people using
    >> wholesale broadband. Why would they drop the price of Xtra until all the
    >> other ISPs have Ferraris as company cars :)

    > Has anyone else noticed that tv ad, the "Get Broadband" one? It didnt
    > mention any ISP, or even telecom, that i can remember, it just said at
    > the end "Contact your ISP for details". Is this the work of telecom
    > trying to meet that requirement?

    That was my guess (Telecom rustling up broadband business) IIRC at the end
    of the ad it says 'or call xtra' or something to that effect, which clears
    it up a little

    Shane, Oct 18, 2005