    http://www.ihug.co.nz/help/

    http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/download.html

    Just wondering what speed is everyone else getting?

    Ken C, Mar 21, 2005

  2. Ken C wrote:
    > Just tested my bliink 2mb lite (about 2000kb) connection using the links
    > below but I was only getting approx 850kb...well short of the promised 2mb.
    > Because of distance from the exchange etc, I wasn't expecting the full 2mb
    > anyway but didn't think it was going to be that low.

    dont they tell you during the install what sort of speed you're going to
    get?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 21, 2005

  3. Ken C

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Ken C" <> wrote in message
    > Just tested my bliink 2mb lite (about 2000kb) connection using the links
    > below but I was only getting approx 850kb...well short of the promised
    > 2mb.
    > Because of distance from the exchange etc, I wasn't expecting the full 2mb
    > anyway but didn't think it was going to be that low.

    here are my results

    Results:
    Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:
    a.. Download time: 2.375 seconds
    b.. Size of file: 500 Kilobytes
    c.. Estimated line speed: 1717.9 (kilobits/second)
    d.. Estimated line speed: 210.5 (kilobytes/second)

    Krazy Bob, Mar 21, 2005
  4. Ken C

    Ken C Guest

    Nope

    Ken C, Mar 21, 2005
  5. Ken C

    Bruce McLay Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:07:16 +1200, "Krazy Bob" <@.com> wrote:

    >here are my results
    >
    >Results:
    >Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:
    > a.. Download time: 2.375 seconds
    > b.. Size of file: 500 Kilobytes
    > c.. Estimated line speed: 1717.9 (kilobits/second)
    > d.. Estimated line speed: 210.5 (kilobytes/second)
    >
    >> http://www.ihug.co.nz/help/
    >>
    >> http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/download.html
    >>

    >> Just wondering what speed is everyone else getting?

    Here's mine:

    Download time: 2.578 seconds
    Size of file: 500 Kilobytes
    Estimated line speed: 1582.6 (kilobits/second)
    Estimated line speed: 193.9 (kilobytes/second)

    Later in the day things really seem to slow down; try a re-test after
    school gets out this afternoon...

    Bruce McLay, Mar 21, 2005
  6. Ken C

    colinco Guest

    In article Ken C says...
    > Because of distance from the exchange etc, I wasn't expecting the full 2mb
    > anyway but didn't think it was going to be that low.

    What down/up line speed does your modem manage to sync up at? That
    shouldn't depend on time of day or download site and will give you some
    idea of your maximum that can be expected.

    colinco, Mar 21, 2005
  7. Ken C

    JedMeister Guest

    "Ken C" <> wrote in message
    > Just tested my bliink 2mb lite (about 2000kb) connection using the links
    > below but I was only getting approx 850kb...well short of the promised
    > 2mb.
    > Because of distance from the exchange etc, I wasn't expecting the full 2mb
    > anyway but didn't think it was going to be that low.
    >
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/help/
    >
    > http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/download.html
    >

    > Just wondering what speed is everyone else getting?

    For me...

    Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:

    Download time: 2.063 seconds
    Size of file: 500 Kilobytes
    Estimated line speed: 1977.7 (kilobits/second)
    Estimated line speed: 242.4 (kilobytes/second)

    But, speed is variable through the day - one time I checked the speed was
    dropping to around 100kbps

    JedMeister, Mar 22, 2005
  8. Ken C

    JuicyTree Guest

    "Ken C" <> wrote in news:d1mhjn$45l$:

    > Just tested my bliink 2mb lite (about 2000kb) connection using the
    > links below but I was only getting approx 850kb...well short of the
    > promised 2mb. Because of distance from the exchange etc, I wasn't
    > expecting the full 2mb anyway but didn't think it was going to be that
    > low.
    >
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/help/
    >
    > http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/download.html
    >

    > Just wondering what speed is everyone else getting?

    My line speed is approximately 1520.4 Kbps or 186.3 K bytes/sec
    I am semi rural and am 3 kms from the exchange building

    JuicyTree, Mar 22, 2005
  9. Ken C

    Bruce McLay Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:32:55 +1200, Bruce McLay
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:07:16 +1200, "Krazy Bob" <@.com> wrote:
    >
    >>here are my results
    >>
    >>Results:
    >>Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:
    >> a.. Download time: 2.375 seconds
    >> b.. Size of file: 500 Kilobytes
    >> c.. Estimated line speed: 1717.9 (kilobits/second)
    >> d.. Estimated line speed: 210.5 (kilobytes/second)

    >>> Just wondering what speed is everyone else getting?

    >Here's mine:
    >
    >Download time: 2.578 seconds
    >Size of file: 500 Kilobytes
    >Estimated line speed: 1582.6 (kilobits/second)
    >Estimated line speed: 193.9 (kilobytes/second)
    >
    >Later in the day things really seem to slow down; try a re-test after
    >school gets out this afternoon...

    And tonight around 09:30 p.m.:

    Download time: 8.843 seconds
    Size of file: 500 Kilobytes
    Estimated line speed: 461.4 (kilobits/second)
    _Estimated line speed: 56.5 (kilobytes/second)_

    Bruce McLay, Mar 22, 2005
  10. Ken C

    Ken C Guest

    How do I find this out?
    I have a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router (using a wired LAN connection)

    Ken C, Mar 22, 2005
  11. Ken C

    Ken C Guest

    I suspect it could be a faulty router the D-Link DSL-G604T has got this
    aweful high pitch noise coming out of it. I might try another test after
    getting a replacement.

    Ken C, Mar 22, 2005
  12. Ken C

    colinco Guest

    In article Ken C says...
    > How do I find this out?
    > I have a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router (using a wired LAN connection)
    >
    > "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > > In article Ken C says...
    > > > Because of distance from the exchange etc, I wasn't expecting the full

    > 2mb
    > > > anyway but didn't think it was going to be that low.
    > > >

    > > What down/up line speed does your modem manage to sync up at? That
    > > shouldn't depend on time of day or download site and will give you some
    > > idea of your maximum that can be expected.

    Do you have a "Status" page in the Router management software?

    colinco, Mar 22, 2005