    you place in the queue.

    ADSL bandwidth download test still looks good.

    Has anyone else there experience problems?
    poopbunny, Jul 15, 2006

  2. poopbunny

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:28:44 +1200, "poopbunny" <>
    wrote:

    >I seem to be having problems lately.
    >
    >- frequent disconnections, poorer than average latency during gaming.
    >- lower than average downloads during peer to peer file sharing which I
    >suspect is caused by these frequent disconnections which causes you to lose
    >you place in the queue.
    >
    >ADSL bandwidth download test still looks good.
    >
    >Has anyone else there experience problems?

    I had something like that recently which I put down to lower
    performance of the telephone lines during periods of wet weather. It
    came right once the weather improved. Older wires can be affected by
    wet depending on the condition of the insulation, length, and how many
    joins.
    GraB, Jul 15, 2006

  3. On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:28:44 +1200, "poopbunny" <>
    wrote:

    >I seem to be having problems lately.
    >
    >- frequent disconnections, poorer than average latency during gaming.
    >- lower than average downloads during peer to peer file sharing which I
    >suspect is caused by these frequent disconnections which causes you to lose
    >you place in the queue.
    >
    >ADSL bandwidth download test still looks good.
    >
    >Has anyone else there experience problems?

    If you have a look at the MOTD page, you will probably find that a lot
    of your frequent disconnections are Telecom or other third party
    scheduled outages. There is a *lot* of network maintenance going on
    at the moment.
    Stephen Worthington, Jul 15, 2006
  4. poopbunny

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:28:44 +1200, "poopbunny" <> wrote:

    >I seem to be having problems lately.
    >
    >- frequent disconnections, poorer than average latency during gaming.
    >- lower than average downloads during peer to peer file sharing which I
    >suspect is caused by these frequent disconnections which causes you to lose
    >you place in the queue.

    You're not saturating your upload are you? If so, and if possible, restrict
    your upload speed in whatever software you're uploading with to allow a bit of
    room for the ack packets to get out for the download you're doing.
    Craig Shore, Jul 15, 2006
  5. poopbunny

    ~misfit~ Guest

    poopbunny wrote:
    > I seem to be having problems lately.
    >
    > - frequent disconnections, poorer than average latency during gaming.
    > - lower than average downloads during peer to peer file sharing which
    > I suspect is caused by these frequent disconnections which causes you
    > to lose you place in the queue.
    >
    > ADSL bandwidth download test still looks good.
    >
    > Has anyone else there experience problems?

    I've been seeing exactly the same thing on my Actrix ADSL/UBS 'product' in
    the last few days. *Lots* of disconnects and unresponsive sometimes when
    connected. I've done a few speedtests and most are 'normal' with a couple
    having really bad international response. Yet the weather here is drier than
    it's been for weeks. As mention here (and the Actrix website) Telecom have
    lots of 'work' scheduled at the moment. That's why I haven't bothered Actrix
    with it, I know it's not their fault. We're stuck with crappy, aging copper
    that's only going to get worse in light of the new regs. Telecom have been
    expecting the new regs, that's why they've announced such high profits over
    the last few years and invested so little in maintainance of the wires.
    Making hay while the sun shines. They didn't want to invest any more than
    absolutely necassary in the infrastructure when any one could see that,
    sooner or later, it was going to be opened up to competition.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jul 16, 2006