    up, surely?

    Also people talk about being 2km, 500m etc. from their exchange, how do I
    find out how far from the nearest exchange I am?
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Nik Coughlin

    Zipper Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Anyone else on the Ihug 7.6Mbs/800kbs plan?
    >
    > Does it seem reasonable that we can only ever get 80-100kbs up? We get
    > about 3.5Mbs down, occasionally 4Mbs, which I'm perfectly happy with, but
    > given that one of the major differences between this plan and others is the
    > upload speed, I'm not happy about the upload speed at all.
    >
    > I realise that 7.6Mbs/800kbs are the maximum and not actual speeds but if my
    > line is capable of 4Mbs down then it should be capable of more than 100kbs
    > up, surely?
    >
    > Also people talk about being 2km, 500m etc. from their exchange, how do I
    > find out how far from the nearest exchange I am?

    It is _A_DSL - asymetrical, it is designed to give the biggest
    proportion of the bandwidth to incomming traffic. What you are getting
    is as fast as ADSL can go. Wait for VDSL2 which gives much larger
    upload speeds.

    Your ISP will be able to tell you what exchange you are on, then you can
    find out where it is by calling Telecom. Distance is only one variable
    in the equation of course.
    Zipper, Jan 26, 2007

  3. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> Anyone else on the Ihug 7.6Mbs/800kbs plan?
    >>
    >> Does it seem reasonable that we can only ever get 80-100kbs up? We
    >> get about 3.5Mbs down, occasionally 4Mbs, which I'm perfectly happy
    >> with, but given that one of the major differences between this plan
    >> and others is the upload speed, I'm not happy about the upload speed
    >> at all. I realise that 7.6Mbs/800kbs are the maximum and not actual
    >> speeds
    >> but if my line is capable of 4Mbs down then it should be capable of
    >> more than 100kbs up, surely?
    >>
    >> Also people talk about being 2km, 500m etc. from their exchange, how
    >> do I find out how far from the nearest exchange I am?
    >>

    > It is _A_DSL - asymetrical, it is designed to give the biggest
    > proportion of the bandwidth to incomming traffic. What you are
    > getting is as fast as ADSL can go. Wait for VDSL2 which gives much
    > larger upload speeds.

    Yeah, I get that the downstream has more of the available frequency range
    allocated to it than the upstream, what I don't get is why if I can get 50%
    of the *stated* maximum possible downstream I can only get 12.5% of the
    *stated* maximum upstream. Wouldn't the factors that affect my downstream
    speed be the same factors that affect my upstream speed?

    > Your ISP will be able to tell you what exchange you are on, then you
    > can find out where it is by calling Telecom. Distance is only one
    > variable in the equation of course.

    The other majors are line quality, exchange capacity and contention ratio?
    Or have I missed something? I guess those aren't things I can test for
    myself :|
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 26, 2007
  4. Nik Coughlin

    Zipper Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Zipper wrote:
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>> Anyone else on the Ihug 7.6Mbs/800kbs plan?
    >>>
    >>> Does it seem reasonable that we can only ever get 80-100kbs up? We
    >>> get about 3.5Mbs down, occasionally 4Mbs, which I'm perfectly happy
    >>> with, but given that one of the major differences between this plan
    >>> and others is the upload speed, I'm not happy about the upload speed
    >>> at all. I realise that 7.6Mbs/800kbs are the maximum and not actual
    >>> speeds
    >>> but if my line is capable of 4Mbs down then it should be capable of
    >>> more than 100kbs up, surely?
    >>>
    >>> Also people talk about being 2km, 500m etc. from their exchange, how
    >>> do I find out how far from the nearest exchange I am?
    >>>

    >> It is _A_DSL - asymetrical, it is designed to give the biggest
    >> proportion of the bandwidth to incomming traffic. What you are
    >> getting is as fast as ADSL can go. Wait for VDSL2 which gives much
    >> larger upload speeds.

    > Yeah, I get that the downstream has more of the available frequency range
    > allocated to it than the upstream, what I don't get is why if I can get 50%
    > of the *stated* maximum possible downstream I can only get 12.5% of the
    > *stated* maximum upstream. Wouldn't the factors that affect my downstream
    > speed be the same factors that affect my upstream speed?

    You are getting 80-100 kilobits up? or 80-100 kilobytes? Just double
    checking, if you are getting 80-100 kilobytes thats about right, if you
    are only getting 80-100 kilobits then something is wrong.

    >> Your ISP will be able to tell you what exchange you are on, then you
    >> can find out where it is by calling Telecom. Distance is only one
    >> variable in the equation of course.

    > The other majors are line quality, exchange capacity and contention ratio?
    > Or have I missed something? I guess those aren't things I can test for
    > myself :|

    Yeah that is it pretty much and the ISP's bandwidth of course. You can
    check the router for various data, the attenuation and the noise signal.
    Should be in the status area and then in the ADSL section probably. I
    also called telecom at my old place and asked them to test the line.
    They said it was in their acceptable range - whatever that means. The
    line was terrible though and I was only 2.5 km's from the exchange but
    only connected at about 1800-2300 kilobits. The copper network has
    basically been left to decay in the ground, now that ADSL is placing
    great demand back on it and with new technology coming out that can
    bring 100megabits on copper a miracle might happen and someone might
    actually do some maintenance on the network, who knows...
    Zipper, Jan 26, 2007
  5. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> Zipper wrote:

    > You are getting 80-100 kilobits up? or 80-100 kilobytes? Just double
    > checking, if you are getting 80-100 kilobytes thats about right, if
    > you are only getting 80-100 kilobits then something is wrong.

    Nah, definitely kilobits. It's almost like I'm being artifically limited to
    3.5/128, because that's about what I get. Might have to have words with
    ihug.
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 26, 2007
  6. Nik Coughlin

    J Brockley Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    > Zipper wrote:
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >> You are getting 80-100 kilobits up? or 80-100 kilobytes? Just double
    >> checking, if you are getting 80-100 kilobytes thats about right, if
    >> you are only getting 80-100 kilobits then something is wrong.

    > Nah, definitely kilobits. It's almost like I'm being artifically limited
    > to 3.5/128, because that's about what I get. Might have to have words
    > with ihug.

    I'm on ihug about ~4.4k out and currently getting 1400 and 130. My maximums
    vary depending on which modem I use, Belkin being faster than DLink.
    The most interesting thing I've found is my speed can decay and no amount of
    rebooting modem helps. But swap in another modem for a few minutes and away
    it goes again. This evening for example no way was I getting above 400k but
    swap in and out a DLink for a minute and now 1400/130.
    J Brockley, Jan 26, 2007
  7. On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:17:03 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Also people talk about being 2km, 500m etc. from their exchange, how do I
    > find out how far from the nearest exchange I am?

    Have you tried contacting Telecom?

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918
    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 26, 2007
  8. Nik Coughlin

    k Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:

    > Have you tried contacting Telecom?

    anyone else read that is "Have you tried installing Linux?"

    heh
    k, Jan 26, 2007