    Anyone else get tripped up?
    Please contac shit_kickernz AT yahoo.com with your tale.
    Rice..

    John Smith, Jun 12, 2006

  2. John Smith

    Katipo Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I recently swapped from Telecon to Ihyg, wooed by the speed difference and
    >3 x the traffic for the same price. However I soon got a notice that I had
    >reached my 1 Gb cap! When I scoured the Ihug site I found that of the 3Gb,
    >2Gb of it is "off peak", that is only between 12am and 8am. I think the
    >Ihug advertising is misleading. Even in the small print they call the 2 Gb
    >off peak a "bonus", ie: on top of what they offer
    >
    > Anyone else get tripped up?
    > Please contac shit_kickernz AT yahoo.com with your tale.
    > Rice..

    If their is nothing in the advertising to indicate that 2GB of your
    allowance is only available at off peak times, I think IHUG may be in
    violation of the Fair Trading Act

    Katipo, Jun 12, 2006

  3. John Smith

    Rebel Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    > I recently swapped from Telecon to Ihyg, wooed by the speed difference and
    > 3 x the traffic for the same price. However I soon got a notice that I had
    > reached my 1 Gb cap! When I scoured the Ihug site I found that of the 3Gb,
    > 2Gb of it is "off peak", that is only between 12am and 8am. I think the
    > Ihug advertising is misleading. Even in the small print they call the 2 Gb
    > off peak a "bonus", ie: on top of what they offer
    >
    > Anyone else get tripped up?
    > Please contac shit_kickernz AT yahoo.com with your tale.
    > Rice..

    It's right there in front of you when you sign up..If you were too slack
    to pay attention and read what you were signing up for then it is hardly
    IHUG's fault.

    http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/plans/index.html

    Rebel, Jun 12, 2006
  4. John Smith wrote:
    > I recently swapped from Telecon to Ihyg, wooed by the speed difference and
    > 3 x the traffic for the same price. However I soon got a notice that I had
    > reached my 1 Gb cap! When I scoured the Ihug site I found that of the 3Gb,
    > 2Gb of it is "off peak", that is only between 12am and 8am. I think the Ihug
    > advertising is misleading. Even in the small print they call the 2 Gb off
    > peak a "bonus", ie: on top of what they offer
    >
    > Anyone else get tripped up?
    > Please contac shit_kickernz AT yahoo.com with your tale.
    > Rice..

    Its pretty clear...
    on the main broadband page it says:
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/
    Generous peak download allowance to use between 8am and midnight (PLUS a
    bonus off peak quota to use between 12am to 8am).
    Please note: From July 1st, for all new and existing customers, peak
    time will shift to 10am - 2am and off-peak will be 2am-10am.

    Thier page with all of the plans list the data allowances, Peak+offpeak:
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/plans/index.html
    With a link to here:
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/faqs.html#data

    data allowances explained

    What is off peak time?
    Off-peak time is currently from 12.00 midnight to 8.00 am. Please note:
    From July 1st, for all new and existing customers, peak time will
    shift to 10am - 2am and off-peak will be 2am-10am.
    We give all customers a bonus data allowance to use during this time so
    for example: the ihug broadband light plan with ihug tolls entitles you
    to 5GB during peak times plus 10 GB to use during off-peak. That's a
    total of 15 GB!

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 12, 2006
  5. John Smith

    Guest

    > It's right there in front of you when you sign up..If you were too slack
    > to pay attention and read what you were signing up for then it is hardly
    > IHUG's fault.
    >
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/plans/index.html

    Hey, their advertising is obviously working - all the sheep are
    flocking over to it. They spend more time in here bleating about
    Telecom instead of paying attention to details like this.

    , Jun 12, 2006
  6. John Smith wrote:
    > I recently swapped from Telecon to Ihyg, wooed by the speed difference and
    > 3 x the traffic for the same price. However I soon got a notice that I had
    > reached my 1 Gb cap! When I scoured the Ihug site I found that of the 3Gb,
    > 2Gb of it is "off peak", that is only between 12am and 8am. I think the Ihug
    > advertising is misleading. Even in the small print they call the 2 Gb off
    > peak a "bonus", ie: on top of what they offer
    >
    > Anyone else get tripped up?
    > Please contac shit_kickernz AT yahoo.com with your tale.
    > Rice..

    I think they advertise it well enough.

    Get yourself a download manager to schedule your large(r) downloads for
    off-peak times.

    SpamAccountForMe, Jun 12, 2006
  7. John Smith

    Bobs Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > I recently swapped from Telecon to Ihyg, wooed by the speed difference and
    > 3 x the traffic for the same price. However I soon got a notice that I had
    > reached my 1 Gb cap! When I scoured the Ihug site I found that of the 3Gb,
    > 2Gb of it is "off peak", that is only between 12am and 8am. I think the Ihug
    > advertising is misleading. Even in the small print they call the 2 Gb off
    > peak a "bonus", ie: on top of what they offer
    >
    > Anyone else get tripped up?
    > Please contac shit_kickernz AT yahoo.com with your tale.
    > Rice..

    You just need to learn to read, John. It's pretty obvious.

    Bobs, Jun 12, 2006
  8. John Smith

    Vista Guest

    "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message
    > John Smith wrote:
    >> I recently swapped from Telecon to Ihyg, wooed by the speed difference
    >> and 3 x the traffic for the same price. However I soon got a notice that
    >> I had reached my 1 Gb cap! When I scoured the Ihug site I found that of
    >> the 3Gb, 2Gb of it is "off peak", that is only between 12am and 8am. I
    >> think the Ihug advertising is misleading. Even in the small print they
    >> call the 2 Gb off peak a "bonus", ie: on top of what they offer
    >>
    >> Anyone else get tripped up?
    >> Please contac shit_kickernz AT yahoo.com with your tale.
    >> Rice..

    > Its pretty clear...
    > on the main broadband page it says:
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/
    > Generous peak download allowance to use between 8am and midnight (PLUS a
    > bonus off peak quota to use between 12am to 8am).
    > Please note: From July 1st, for all new and existing customers, peak time
    > will shift to 10am - 2am and off-peak will be 2am-10am.
    >

    > Thier page with all of the plans list the data allowances, Peak+offpeak:
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/plans/index.html
    > With a link to here:
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/faqs.html#data
    >
    > data allowances explained
    >
    > What is off peak time?
    > Off-peak time is currently from 12.00 midnight to 8.00 am. Please note:
    > From July 1st, for all new and existing customers, peak time will shift to
    > 10am - 2am and off-peak will be 2am-10am.
    > We give all customers a bonus data allowance to use during this time so
    > for example: the ihug broadband light plan with ihug tolls entitles you to
    > 5GB during peak times plus 10 GB to use during off-peak. That's a total of
    > 15 GB!

    It actually is very unclear from that initial page that 3GB of bandwidth
    can't be used at any time during the day. Bonus to me, means 'additional and
    on top of' the advertised bandwidth, which ihug clearly isn't providing.
    There starter plan advertises 3GB bandwidth with no clearly advertised
    conditions on this. However if you click on 'info' button it then says that
    it is 1+2 GB with 2GB being the offpeak bandwidth, and only 1GB onpeak. If
    you had just clicked on the join button on this plan you would never have
    known of the restriction. To me it is definitely misleading and needs to
    have an asterisk next to the advertised bandwidth allowance there are
    clearly restrictions on that 3GB of bandwidth. ANyone affected by this and
    feel that they have been misled should report ihug to the commerce commision
    for misleading advertising.

    You can get a far better deal with slingshot. 5GB anytime bandwidth for the
    same price, although it is slightly slower (2MB vs 3.5MB), but I doubt
    anyone would notice any difference in speed.

    Vista, Jun 12, 2006
  9. John Smith

    Kerry Guest

    In article <e6ideo$j1v$>,
    "Katipo" <> wrote:

    > "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > >I recently swapped from Telecon to Ihyg, wooed by the speed difference and
    > >3 x the traffic for the same price. However I soon got a notice that I had
    > >reached my 1 Gb cap! When I scoured the Ihug site I found that of the 3Gb,
    > >2Gb of it is "off peak", that is only between 12am and 8am. I think the
    > >Ihug advertising is misleading. Even in the small print they call the 2 Gb
    > >off peak a "bonus", ie: on top of what they offer
    > >
    > > Anyone else get tripped up?
    > > Please contac shit_kickernz AT yahoo.com with your tale.
    > > Rice..
    > >

    > If their is nothing in the advertising to indicate that 2GB of your
    > allowance is only available at off peak times, I think IHUG may be in
    > violation of the Fair Trading Act

    It is quite clear in the sign up for broadband pages that it is 1g peak
    and 2G offpeak, and that your speed will be capped once you meet the
    traffic limit

    How on earth anyone thinks they can get by with only 1G peak a month is
    beyond me.

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job,

    Kerry, Jun 12, 2006
  10. <snip>
    ANyone affected by this and
    > feel that they have been misled should report ihug to the commerce commision
    > for misleading advertising.

    Good luck with that... your gonna need it

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 12, 2006
  11. John Smith

    > <snip>
    > ANyone affected by this and
    >> feel that they have been misled should report ihug to the commerce
    >> commision for misleading advertising.

    > Good luck with that... your gonna need it

    But on this page does it say anything about the 3GB being restruicted in
    anyway http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/ REally it should say you
    only get 1GB of bandwidth, with a bonus 2GB to use in times when everyone
    else is a sleep.

    SLingshots plans are far supierior to i-slugs, plus they are a NZ own
    company (unlike i-slug which is Ozzie owned and having major financial
    trouble according to media reports) You can also signup to slingshot without
    signing up to any contract, which is a huge bonus.

    Vista, Jun 12, 2006
  12. Vista wrote:
    > "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message
    >> <snip>
    >> ANyone affected by this and
    >>> feel that they have been misled should report ihug to the commerce
    >>> commision for misleading advertising.

    >> Good luck with that... your gonna need it

    > But on this page does it say anything about the 3GB being restruicted in
    > anyway http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/ REally it should say you
    > only get 1GB of bandwidth, with a bonus 2GB to use in times when everyone
    > else is a sleep.
    >
    > SLingshots plans are far supierior to i-slugs, plus they are a NZ own
    > company (unlike i-slug which is Ozzie owned and having major financial
    > trouble according to media reports) You can also signup to slingshot without
    > signing up to any contract, which is a huge bonus.

    Yes it does - as i mentioned on my earlier post:

    ihug broadband - what you get

    A $10 discount and double your off-peak data allowance every
    month when you use ihug direct dial tolls
    Super fast speeds of 3.5 Mbps
    Generous peak download allowance to use between 8am and
    midnight (PLUS a bonus off peak quota to use between 12am to 8am).
    Please note: From July 1st, for all new and existing
    customers, peak time will shift to 10am - 2am and off-peak will be 2am-10am.
    FREE technical support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
    Backup dial up connection with every account (only $1 an
    hour, capped at $29.95)

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 13, 2006
  13. John Smith

    > Vista wrote:
    >> "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message
    >>> <snip>
    >>> ANyone affected by this and
    >>> Good luck with that... your gonna need it

    >> But on this page does it say anything about the 3GB being restruicted in
    >> anyway http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/ REally it should say you
    >> only get 1GB of bandwidth, with a bonus 2GB to use in times when everyone
    >> else is a sleep.
    >>
    >> SLingshots plans are far supierior to i-slugs, plus they are a NZ own
    >> company (unlike i-slug which is Ozzie owned and having major financial
    >> trouble according to media reports) You can also signup to slingshot
    >> without signing up to any contract, which is a huge bonus.

    > Yes it does - as i mentioned on my earlier post:
    >

    > ihug broadband - what you get
    >
    > A $10 discount and double your off-peak data allowance every
    > month when you use ihug direct dial tolls
    > Super fast speeds of 3.5 Mbps
    > Generous peak download allowance to use between 8am and midnight
    > (PLUS a bonus off peak quota to use between 12am to 8am).
    > Please note: From July 1st, for all new and existing customers,
    > peak time will shift to 10am - 2am and off-peak will be 2am-10am.
    > FREE technical support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
    > Backup dial up connection with every account (only $1 an hour,
    > capped at $29.95)

    It says absolutely nothing about the 3GB being broken into 1+2GB, and you
    only get 1GB onpeak. If it does where does it say it on
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/
    What you have copied again doesn't say anything abou this.

    Does anyone actually get 3.5Mbps speeds . It should say 'up to' 3.5Mbps, as
    thaat could be false advertising if you can't get those speeds at all
    times.

    Vista, Jun 13, 2006
  14. John Smith

    Rebel Guest

    Vista wrote:

    >> A $10 discount and double your off-peak data allowance every
    >> month when you use ihug direct dial tolls
    >> Super fast speeds of 3.5 Mbps
    >> Generous peak download allowance to use between 8am and
    >> midnight
    >> (PLUS a bonus off peak quota to use between 12am to 8am).
    >> Please note: From July 1st, for all new and existing customers,
    >> peak time will shift to 10am - 2am and off-peak will be 2am-10am.
    >> FREE technical support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
    >> Backup dial up connection with every account (only $1 an hour,
    >> capped at $29.95)

    > It says absolutely nothing about the 3GB being broken into 1+2GB, and you
    > only get 1GB onpeak. If it does where does it say it on
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/
    > What you have copied again doesn't say anything abou this.>

    Click on the info button, or is that too difficult. Do you always buy
    things without reading about what you are getting ?

    > Does anyone actually get 3.5Mbps speeds . It should say 'up to' 3.5Mbps,
    > as
    > thaat could be false advertising if you can't get those speeds at all
    > times.

    I get in the region of 400kBs most of the time but then I use an OS and
    not a toy gui so it could make a difference. Seriously though the windows
    98 and XP computers on the same connection rarely if ever get the speeds
    that the linux one does.

    Rebel, Jun 13, 2006

  15. >> ihug broadband - what you get

    >> A $10 discount and double your off-peak data allowance every
    >> month when you use ihug direct dial tolls
    >> Super fast speeds of 3.5 Mbps
    >> Generous peak download allowance to use between 8am and midnight
    >> (PLUS a bonus off peak quota to use between 12am to 8am).
    >> Please note: From July 1st, for all new and existing customers,
    >> peak time will shift to 10am - 2am and off-peak will be 2am-10am.
    >> FREE technical support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
    >> Backup dial up connection with every account (only $1 an hour,
    >> capped at $29.95)

    > It says absolutely nothing about the 3GB being broken into 1+2GB, and you
    > only get 1GB onpeak. If it does where does it say it on
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/
    > What you have copied again doesn't say anything abou this.
    >
    > Does anyone actually get 3.5Mbps speeds . It should say 'up to' 3.5Mbps, as
    > thaat could be false advertising if you can't get those speeds at all
    > times.

    This is getting a bit silly... are you phishing?

    Each plan has different allowances.... like any other isp.... the full
    statistics for every plan is available for you to read

    If that page listed the split for the 3g plan... what about the 10g plan?
    Rather then put it ALL on the one page...

    They have a breakdown page labeled "info"
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/plans/index.html

    Which list ALL the plans.. ALL the splits

    note the 3gig plan:
    total data allowance (peak+offpeak)
    with tolls 3GB (1+2)

    ***note the 1+2 - kinda a hint, Not a math lesson****

    with the words "total data allowance" linked to here:
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/faqs.html#data

    data allowances explained

    What is off peak time?
    Off-peak time is currently from 12.00 midnight to 8.00 am. Please note:
    From July 1st, for all new and existing customers, peak time will

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 13, 2006
  16. John Smith

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >>> ihug broadband - what you get

    *snip*
    >> It says absolutely nothing about the 3GB being broken into 1+2GB,
    >> and you only get 1GB onpeak. If it does where does it say it on
    >> http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/
    >> What you have copied again doesn't say anything abou this.
    >>
    >> Does anyone actually get 3.5Mbps speeds . It should say 'up to'
    >> 3.5Mbps, as thaat could be false advertising if you can't get those
    >> speeds at all times.
    >>

    > This is getting a bit silly... are you phishing?

    Huh? Did you mean trolling?

    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing:

    In computing, phishing is a form of criminal activity using social
    engineering techniques. It is characterized by attempts to fraudulently
    acquire sensitive information, such as passwords and credit card details, by
    masquerading as a trustworthy person or business in an apparently official
    electronic communication.

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 13, 2006

  17. >> This is getting a bit silly... are you phishing?

    > Huh? Did you mean trolling?
    >
    > From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing:
    >
    > In computing, phishing is a form of criminal activity using social
    > engineering techniques. It is characterized by attempts to fraudulently
    > acquire sensitive information, such as passwords and credit card details, by
    > masquerading as a trustworthy person or business in an apparently official
    > electronic communication.

    sorry yea, i meant trolling, Its been a long day.

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 13, 2006
  18. John Smith

    >>> ihug broadband - what you get
    >>>
    >>> A $10 discount and double your off-peak data allowance every
    >>> month when you use ihug direct dial tolls
    >>> Super fast speeds of 3.5 Mbps
    >>> Generous peak download allowance to use between 8am and
    >>> midnight (PLUS a bonus off peak quota to use between 12am to 8am).
    >>> Please note: From July 1st, for all new and existing
    >>> customers, peak time will shift to 10am - 2am and off-peak will be
    >>> 2am-10am.
    >>> FREE technical support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
    >>> Backup dial up connection with every account (only $1 an hour,
    >>> capped at $29.95)

    >> It says absolutely nothing about the 3GB being broken into 1+2GB, and you
    >> only get 1GB onpeak. If it does where does it say it on
    >> http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/
    >> What you have copied again doesn't say anything abou this.
    >>
    >> Does anyone actually get 3.5Mbps speeds . It should say 'up to' 3.5Mbps,
    >> as thaat could be false advertising if you can't get those speeds at all
    >> times.

    > This is getting a bit silly... are you phishing?
    >
    > Each plan has different allowances.... like any other isp.... the full
    > statistics for every plan is available for you to read
    >
    > If that page listed the split for the 3g plan... what about the 10g plan?
    > Rather then put it ALL on the one page...
    >
    > They have a breakdown page labeled "info"
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/plans/index.html
    >
    > Which list ALL the plans.. ALL the splits
    >
    > note the 3gig plan:
    > total data allowance (peak+offpeak)
    > with tolls 3GB (1+2)
    >
    > ***note the 1+2 - kinda a hint, Not a math lesson****
    >
    > with the words "total data allowance" linked to here:
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/faqs.html#data
    >
    > data allowances explained
    >
    > What is off peak time?
    > Off-peak time is currently from 12.00 midnight to 8.00 am. Please note:
    > From July 1st, for all new and existing customers, peak time will shift to
    > 10am - 2am and off-peak will be 2am-10am.
    > We give all customers a bonus data allowance to use during this time so
    > for example: the ihug broadband light plan with ihug tolls entitles you to
    > 5GB during peak times plus 10 GB to use during off-peak. That's a total of
    > 15 GB!

    BUt the full details not on the page you quote!!!! That is my point!!! My
    point is that many people DON"T both bother to read the fine print or
    details, and expect things to be advertised clearly, non of this 1GB+2GB
    bullsh*t which ISN'T clearly spelt out clearly on that first page! People
    can signup to that plan without ever discovering this fact, as the 'join
    link is on that same page! This is similar to companies that don't quote
    that aprice exclude GST, although in their T&Cs it says all prices exclude
    GST.
    Clearly one person had been misled as per the orginal post. Not everyone is
    as intelligent as you and I and many wouldn't even really understand want
    bandwidth actually is, but 3GB compared to what xtra advertise sounds
    better, when infact to most users they wouldn't be any better off, as they
    wouldn't want to use the internet in the middle of the night. I researched a
    lot before I chose my provider and I did pick up the 1+2GB BS relatively
    early on, but I am sure many people haven't. They really should be
    advertising it as 1GB plan, with a BONUS 2GB to use off peak, but this
    obviously doesn't sound as good!

    What do you mean by phishing???

    I agree to disagree with you. Finished.

    Vista, Jun 13, 2006
  19. John Smith

    Crash Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message

    [snip]
    > BUt the full details not on the page you quote!!!! That is my point!!!

    The page you read was simply a headline with speed and data cap for each plan.
    There is nothing on this page that is a lie.

    > My
    > point is that many people DON"T both bother to read the fine print or
    > details, and expect things to be advertised clearly, non of this 1GB+2GB
    > bullsh*t which ISN'T clearly spelt out clearly on that first page! People
    > can signup to that plan without ever discovering this fact, as the 'join
    > link is on that same page!

    There was a direct link from that page to the details fully explained. If they
    choose not use that link then they are a victim of their own stupidity.

    This is similar to companies that don't quote
    > that aprice exclude GST, although in their T&Cs it says all prices exclude
    > GST.

    That's incorrect. If you can get to the details such as price without first
    encountering a warning that prices are GST-exclusive then that is probably
    illegal. Even then it will be obvious that prices are GST-exclusive before you
    can complete the purchase so there is no way that you can discover the fraud for
    the first time after the sale is completed.

    > Clearly one person had been misled as per the orginal post. Not everyone is
    > as intelligent as you and I and many wouldn't even really understand want
    > bandwidth actually is, but 3GB compared to what xtra advertise sounds
    > better, when infact to most users they wouldn't be any better off, as they
    > wouldn't want to use the internet in the middle of the night.

    Its not a matter of intelligence at all. How intelligent do you need to be to
    click 'info'?

    I researched a
    > lot before I chose my provider and I did pick up the 1+2GB BS relatively
    > early on, but I am sure many people haven't. They really should be
    > advertising it as 1GB plan, with a BONUS 2GB to use off peak, but this
    > obviously doesn't sound as good!

    Its a 3 gig plan. There are no bonuses - you are fully entitled to use the 3
    gigs as they state. If you cannot be bothered to do the basic research (by
    simply clicking the info button in this case' then I would have to question what
    you define 'research' to be.

    Crash.

    Crash, Jun 13, 2006
  20. John Smith

    Vista Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > Vista wrote:
    >> "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message

    > Its a 3 gig plan. There are no bonuses - you are fully entitled to use
    > the 3 gigs as they state. If you cannot be bothered to do the basic
    > research (by simply clicking the info button in this case' then I would
    > have to question what you define 'research' to be.
    >
    > Crash.

    I-Slug want you to believe that there is a 'bonus' though, as it says the
    following on this page http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/

    "Generous peak download allowance to use between 8am and midnight (PLUS a
    bonus off peak quota to use between 12am to 8am)"

    If you only looked at the http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broadband/ page,
    then you would expect that you got 3GB to use anytime, PLUS an additional
    quota for off peak usage. Personally I think they should remove the join
    buttons, and force their uses to view the full details, or advertise the
    plans a 1+2 GB ( or just 1GB), instead of 3GB.

    Clearly there are customers who have been misled over this very point, as
    per the inital post by John Smith who though he was getting 3GB anytime.

    Vista, Jun 13, 2006