    experiencing network problems at the moment. If it persists, I'll give
    their helldesk a call.

    Will keep this thread updated.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 1, 2006

  2. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, all.
    >
    > Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
    > totally underwhelmed.
    >
    > Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
    > (which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
    > 380kbps.

    Can you give some results: (repeat the tests with Ctrl pressed down)

    www.nzdsl.co.nz/speedtest
    http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/index.html

    your slowness could be related to
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/cgi-bin/motd.pl?192475.motd
    where they are doing work on their UBS it looks like

    One thing I just noticed.. my speedtest website (check source) has
    kbytes_of_data = 500; // data file size

    but jetstreamgames/xtra's has

    kbytes_of_data = 520; // data file size

    Which is strange as they both use the same datasource (check source) for
    testing the speed and my source was based on
    jetstreamgames.co.nz' original one with 500 as the figure so it gives around
    a 4% difference in speed (faster on xtra's site)

    Craig Whitmore, Feb 1, 2006

  3. Fred Dagg

    frederick Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi, all.
    >>
    >>Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
    >>totally underwhelmed.
    >>
    >>Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
    >>(which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
    >>380kbps.
    >>

    > Can you give some results: (repeat the tests with Ctrl pressed down)
    >
    > www.nzdsl.co.nz/speedtest
    > http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/index.html
    >
    > your slowness could be related to
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/cgi-bin/motd.pl?192475.motd
    > where they are doing work on their UBS it looks like
    >
    > One thing I just noticed.. my speedtest website (check source) has
    > kbytes_of_data = 500; // data file size
    >
    > but jetstreamgames/xtra's has
    >
    > kbytes_of_data = 520; // data file size
    >
    > Which is strange as they both use the same datasource (check source) for
    > testing the speed and my source was based on
    > jetstreamgames.co.nz' original one with 500 as the figure so it gives around
    > a 4% difference in speed (faster on xtra's site)

    I've tested on your site, and get a reasonably consistent 1500Kbps on a
    2Mbps slingshot connection using Mozilla 1.5, and reasonably consistent
    1600Kbps using IE. I guess that this is about as good as can be
    expected ~ 80% about 1.5km from nearest exchange.
    Incidentally, the registry tweak for XP seems to make no difference
    whatsoever. I read somewhere that this tweak works in XPpe not XPhe.

    frederick, Feb 1, 2006
  4. Fred Dagg

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, all.
    >
    > Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
    > totally underwhelmed.
    >
    > Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
    > (which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
    > 380kbps.
    >
    > It got so bad before, an RDP session actually timed out.
    >
    > Egad, now I'm surfing at about 1/4 of the speed of dialup.
    >
    > I'm hoping that this is just coincidence, and that they're
    > experiencing network problems at the moment. If it persists, I'll give
    > their helldesk a call.
    >
    > Will keep this thread updated.

    You're hardly getting what you paid for.
    They shouldn't even advertise what they can't deliver.

    You want to buy a Ferrari off me?
    Just don't be surprised if your Ferrari turns out to be a Mini with a
    plastic toy Ferrari stuffed into it's glove box.
    ;-)
    If ihug can get away with false advertising anyone else should be able to as
    well.

    And just how many other ISPs actually deliver Broadband speeds that they're
    advertising?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 1, 2006

  5. > Incidentally, the registry tweak for XP seems to make no difference
    > whatsoever. I read somewhere that this tweak works in XPpe not XPhe.

    XPpe? XPhe?

    I found it mades a huge in 98 and a big difference in XP with full speed
    jetstream (big difference).
    But I have no way of testing with UBS these days. Unless someone wants to
    test it for me
    who has full speed jetstream

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Feb 1, 2006
  6. Fred Dagg

    GraB Guest

    My IHUG 2M results (after applying the Speed Tweak which seems to be
    much better than before) from

    www.nzdsl.co.nz/speedtest :

    * Download time: 2.85 seconds
    * Size of file: 500 Kilobytes
    * Estimated line speed: 1431.6 (kilobits/second)
    * Estimated line speed: 175.4 (kilobytes/second)

    * Download time: 5 seconds
    * Size of file: 1000 Kilobytes
    * Estimated line speed: 1632 (kilobits/second)
    * Estimated line speed: 200 (kilobytes/second)

    9:10pm

    GraB, Feb 1, 2006
  7. Fred Dagg

    frederick Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >>Incidentally, the registry tweak for XP seems to make no difference
    >>whatsoever. I read somewhere that this tweak works in XPpe not XPhe.
    >>

    > XPpe? XPhe?

    Pro edition, Home ed.

    frederick, Feb 1, 2006
  8. Fred Dagg

    David Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > My IHUG 2M results (after applying the Speed Tweak which seems to be
    > much better than before) from
    >
    > www.nzdsl.co.nz/speedtest :
    >
    > * Download time: 2.85 seconds
    > * Size of file: 500 Kilobytes
    > * Estimated line speed: 1431.6 (kilobits/second)
    > * Estimated line speed: 175.4 (kilobytes/second)
    >
    > * Download time: 5 seconds
    > * Size of file: 1000 Kilobytes
    > * Estimated line speed: 1632 (kilobits/second)
    > * Estimated line speed: 200 (kilobytes/second)
    >
    > 9:10pm

    That's good enough for me, I'm switching. I just got

    > Your line speed is approximately 1536.1 Kbps or 188.3 K bytes/sec

    Using my Xtra 2M connection on the nzdsl speedtest.

    David, Feb 1, 2006

  9. >
    > That's good enough for me, I'm switching. I just got
    >
    > > Your line speed is approximately 1536.1 Kbps or 188.3 K bytes/sec

    > Using my Xtra 2M connection on the nzdsl speedtest.

    Depending there you are and what equipment you are on.. (like me which I'm
    on a Conklin unit and I can see 100% the same problem with other lines i
    know are on conklin units ).. I can only get 200Kb/s MAX downloading from
    anyplace and it gets slower when other people are downloading at that time
    on the same conklin unit.

    Speedtest pages are only an estimate.. but see what you get in real world
    tests.

    For example download something nationally and see what real world speeds you
    get..

    http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/9M_file.zip

    I get 200Kb/s exactly (never been any faster since I moved to a conklin
    unit)

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Feb 1, 2006
  10. Fred Dagg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, all.
    >>
    >> Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
    >> totally underwhelmed.
    >>
    >> Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
    >> (which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
    >> 380kbps.
    >>
    >> It got so bad before, an RDP session actually timed out.
    >>
    >> Egad, now I'm surfing at about 1/4 of the speed of dialup.
    >>
    >> I'm hoping that this is just coincidence, and that they're
    >> experiencing network problems at the moment. If it persists, I'll
    >> give their helldesk a call.
    >>
    >> Will keep this thread updated.

    > You're hardly getting what you paid for.
    > They shouldn't even advertise what they can't deliver.
    >
    > You want to buy a Ferrari off me?
    > Just don't be surprised if your Ferrari turns out to be a Mini with a
    > plastic toy Ferrari stuffed into it's glove box.
    > ;-)
    > If ihug can get away with false advertising anyone else should be
    > able to as well.
    >
    > And just how many other ISPs actually deliver Broadband speeds that
    > they're advertising?

    Using Orcon 2M I consistantly get 250 kB/s using http any time of the day or
    night. (As long as the server is up to it).

    I have absolutely no complaints about the speed of my Orcon 2M plan for
    http. It delivers as advertised. P2P is a whole different ballgame though.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 1, 2006
  11. Fred Dagg

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:54:59 +1300, "Craig Whitmore"
    <> exclaimed:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, all.
    >>
    >> Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
    >> totally underwhelmed.
    >>
    >> Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
    >> (which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
    >> 380kbps.
    >>

    >Can you give some results: (repeat the tests with Ctrl pressed down)
    >
    >www.nzdsl.co.nz/speedtest
    >http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/index.html

    Good speeds now - pretty close to 2Mbps (between 1.5 and 2, which is
    good enough for me).

    Will be interesting to see whether the problems earlier is just what
    happens during peak times (obviously not good enough), or was just a
    coincidental blip.

    Will keep all informed. I think we all should be very vocal about the
    quality of our connections.

    >your slowness could be related to
    >http://www.ihug.co.nz/cgi-bin/motd.pl?192475.motd
    >where they are doing work on their UBS it looks like

    Yup, saw that (was the first place I looked). However, it says 11:45pm
    on 2/2.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 1, 2006
  12. Fred Dagg

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 22:51:50 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/9M_file.zip
    >
    > I get 200Kb/s exactly (never been any faster since I moved to a conklin
    > unit)

    244Kb/s, orcon 2mbit UBS.

    IF ONLY IT DID THAT ON THE P2P PORTS ALSO!

    Lucky if you get 50kb/s for 10 secs there...

    --

    .... Brendan

    #262417 +(4366)- [X]

    <_kr4m3r> so many fucking criminals, its bullshit
    <foniks`> heh, if we sent all the criminals to some empty continent and
    just left them there to die
    <foniks`> and showed up like 50yrs later like, "sup?"
    <foniks`> whatd u think they'd say?
    <FoSZoR[bg]> something along the lines of, "G`Day mate"

    Note: All my comments are copyright 2/02/2006 12:29:59 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 1, 2006
  13. Fred Dagg

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Orcon 2M ADSL @ 200KBps @ < $100/month
    <unnamed> 2M frame-relay @ 211KBps @ $3200/month

    Stu Fleming, Feb 1, 2006
  14. Fred Dagg

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:25:11 +1300, Fred Dagg <>
    exclaimed:

    >Hi, all.
    >
    >Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
    >totally underwhelmed.
    >
    >Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
    >(which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
    >380kbps.
    >
    >It got so bad before, an RDP session actually timed out.
    >
    >Egad, now I'm surfing at about 1/4 of the speed of dialup.
    >
    >I'm hoping that this is just coincidence, and that they're
    >experiencing network problems at the moment. If it persists, I'll give
    >their helldesk a call.
    >
    >Will keep this thread updated.

    Ok, now this is nice.

    Get this: Currently downloading a torrent at 180-250kbps. THAT'S
    ACTUALLY FULL SPEED!! Ok, it is 2am, and sure, I should be asleep, but
    still...

    A (just under) 4GB torrent in around 4 hours... Nice.

    I'm going to be really interested over the next day or two to see
    whether the problems earlier in the day were just a glitch.

    Orcon's plan very seldom if ever got up to these speeds.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 1, 2006
  15. Fred Dagg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:25:11 +1300, Fred Dagg <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> Hi, all.
    >>
    >> Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
    >> totally underwhelmed.
    >>
    >> Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
    >> (which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
    >> 380kbps.
    >>
    >> It got so bad before, an RDP session actually timed out.
    >>
    >> Egad, now I'm surfing at about 1/4 of the speed of dialup.
    >>
    >> I'm hoping that this is just coincidence, and that they're
    >> experiencing network problems at the moment. If it persists, I'll
    >> give their helldesk a call.
    >>
    >> Will keep this thread updated.

    > Ok, now this is nice.
    >
    > Get this: Currently downloading a torrent at 180-250kbps. THAT'S
    > ACTUALLY FULL SPEED!! Ok, it is 2am, and sure, I should be asleep, but
    > still...
    >
    > A (just under) 4GB torrent in around 4 hours... Nice.

    Wow!! That's great! I've only downloaded one torrent that size through Orcon
    and it took me 2 weeks. No shit, two weeks. On a 2M plan. It's a bit better
    now but still.....

    > I'm going to be really interested over the next day or two to see
    > whether the problems earlier in the day were just a glitch.

    Same, as are a lot of Orcon customers I think. I'm going to ring Orcon's
    helldesk back today as it's been three days since they said they'd ring me
    back within 30 minutes.

    > Orcon's plan very seldom if ever got up to these speeds.

    I've seen *bursts* of around 140 kB/s on my Orcon plan. However, they don't
    last long and you have to sit watching Azureus for quite a while to see such
    thing, usually at around 3am. Early hours average around 90 kB/s recently.
    Forget it during the day.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 1, 2006
  16. Fred Dagg

    David Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >> That's good enough for me, I'm switching. I just got
    >>
    >>> Your line speed is approximately 1536.1 Kbps or 188.3 K bytes/sec

    >> Using my Xtra 2M connection on the nzdsl speedtest.

    > Depending there you are and what equipment you are on.. (like me which I'm
    > on a Conklin unit and I can see 100% the same problem with other lines i
    > know are on conklin units ).. I can only get 200Kb/s MAX downloading from
    > anyplace and it gets slower when other people are downloading at that time
    > on the same conklin unit.
    >
    > Speedtest pages are only an estimate.. but see what you get in real world
    > tests.
    >
    > For example download something nationally and see what real world speeds you
    > get..
    >
    > http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/9M_file.zip
    >
    > I get 200Kb/s exactly (never been any faster since I moved to a conklin
    > unit)

    7.7kB/s (I'm on 64k). I don't really care if I don't get the full 2mbit,
    a month of reasonable speed is much more useful to me than a week of
    good speed and 4 of unusable 64k. The free uploads are also very
    attractive, as I find that about 1/3 of my usage is on uploads.

    Any feedback on the ihug plan's P2P importance? I just realised the OP
    didnt mention P2P and that's really all that matters to me, as long as
    HTTP, NNTP and email are usable of course.

    David, Feb 2, 2006
  17. Fred Dagg

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:32:53 +1300, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >I've seen *bursts* of around 140 kB/s on my Orcon plan. However, they don't
    >last long and you have to sit watching Azureus for quite a while to see such
    >thing, usually at around 3am. Early hours average around 90 kB/s recently.
    >Forget it during the day.

    I get the feeling with bittorrent mostly the problem is the seeding speed. There
    may be heaps of people seeding it, but they are highly likely seeding more than
    just that torrent and their upload is spread out over a lot of people.

    Craig Shore, Feb 2, 2006
  18. Fred Dagg

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:58:19 +1300, Fred Dagg <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:25:11 +1300, Fred Dagg <>
    >exclaimed:
    >
    >>Hi, all.
    >>
    >>Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
    >>totally underwhelmed.
    >>
    >>Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
    >>(which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
    >>380kbps.
    >>
    >>It got so bad before, an RDP session actually timed out.
    >>
    >>Egad, now I'm surfing at about 1/4 of the speed of dialup.
    >>
    >>I'm hoping that this is just coincidence, and that they're
    >>experiencing network problems at the moment. If it persists, I'll give
    >>their helldesk a call.
    >>
    >>Will keep this thread updated.

    >Ok, now this is nice.
    >
    >Get this: Currently downloading a torrent at 180-250kbps. THAT'S
    >ACTUALLY FULL SPEED!! Ok, it is 2am, and sure, I should be asleep, but
    >still...
    >
    >A (just under) 4GB torrent in around 4 hours... Nice.
    >
    >I'm going to be really interested over the next day or two to see
    >whether the problems earlier in the day were just a glitch.
    >
    >Orcon's plan very seldom if ever got up to these speeds.

    Ok, now I'm officially impressed.

    Currently consistently downloading torrents at around 200kB/s, (which
    is about 1.6Mbps), bursting to 250kB/s (2Mbps).

    This is such a breath of fresh air after the disappointment of Orcon's
    2Mbps lie.

    I will continue to update my experiences in the coming days, for any
    who are interested.

    [Note that this is just the experience of one person in one area, and,
    whilst based on real world experiences, is opinion and non-scientific
    - although it would appear that the Orcon experiences are shared by
    many]

    Fred Dagg, Feb 2, 2006
  19. Fred Dagg

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:23:57 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:32:53 +1300, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've seen *bursts* of around 140 kB/s on my Orcon plan. However, they don't
    >>last long and you have to sit watching Azureus for quite a while to see such
    >>thing, usually at around 3am. Early hours average around 90 kB/s recently.
    >>Forget it during the day.

    > I get the feeling with bittorrent mostly the problem is the seeding speed. There
    > may be heaps of people seeding it, but they are highly likely seeding more than
    > just that torrent and their upload is spread out over a lot of people.

    I've limited the upload bandwidth at work to 10kbit - at 40kbit, the
    download performance was rather poor, to say the least :)

    telstra/adsl.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 2, 2006
  20. Fred Dagg

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:38:38 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, all.
    >>
    >> Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
    >> totally underwhelmed.
    >>
    >> Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
    >> (which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
    >> 380kbps.
    >>
    >> It got so bad before, an RDP session actually timed out.
    >>
    >> Egad, now I'm surfing at about 1/4 of the speed of dialup.
    >>
    >> I'm hoping that this is just coincidence, and that they're
    >> experiencing network problems at the moment. If it persists, I'll give
    >> their helldesk a call.
    >>
    >> Will keep this thread updated.

    > You're hardly getting what you paid for.
    > They shouldn't even advertise what they can't deliver.
    >
    > You want to buy a Ferrari off me?
    > Just don't be surprised if your Ferrari turns out to be a Mini with a
    > plastic toy Ferrari stuffed into it's glove box.
    > ;-)
    > If ihug can get away with false advertising anyone else should be able to as
    > well.
    >
    > And just how many other ISPs actually deliver Broadband speeds that they're
    > advertising?
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    .... and the last time you got 108mbit out of your wireless router was... :)

    Steve, Feb 2, 2006