  1. Yes $200 for a $50 box

    And NO PVR

    A very dumb move me thinks
    Frank Williams, Dec 3, 2012

  2. Frank Williams

    EMB Guest

    On 4/12/2012 6:59 p.m., geoff wrote:
    > "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >>

    >> Yes $200 for a $50 box
    >>

    >> And NO PVR
    >>

    >> A very dumb move me thinks

    > What's Igaloo ?

    Something important to our resident iganoramus I guess. :)
    EMB, Dec 4, 2012

  3. In article <k9k7r8$hvu$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >On 4/12/2012 6:59 p.m., geoff wrote:
    >> "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes $200 for a $50 box
    >>> And NO PVR
    >>> A very dumb move me thinks

    >> What's Igaloo ?

    >Something important to our resident iganoramus I guess. :)

    Yet another pay TV thing. Saw an add last night on the teev. But your point
    appears valid. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 5, 2012
  4. Frank Williams

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-12-04, Crash McBash <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 22:12:04 +1300, Frank Williams
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Yes $200 for a $50 box
    >>

    >>And NO PVR
    >>

    >>A very dumb move me thinks

    > Dunno Roger but I got an email the other day announcing Igloo. With a
    > bit of research I have figured out how they will prevent existing Sky
    > users being cannibalised to this service:
    >
    > - No PVR as you say
    > - Sky sports programs available as prepaid pay-per-view but I saw an
    > HRV cup (cricket T20 game of 3.5 hours) available for $14.50. For
    > about 2 ppv sports events you can get the whole lineup of SS 1, 2 and
    > 3 for a month.
    >
    > I don't do movies so cant comment on ppv vs movies add-on.
    >
    > So Igloo might appeal to any Sky subscriber with just a decoder and
    > the basic package. Otherwise it might appeal to those who get
    > free-to-air and willing to pay a bit to get the extras.

    In short market forces will govern. ;-)
    Gordon, Dec 5, 2012
  5. On 5 Dec 2012 04:18:27 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2012-12-04, Crash McBash <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 22:12:04 +1300, Frank Williams
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yes $200 for a $50 box
    >>>

    >>>And NO PVR
    >>>

    >>>A very dumb move me thinks

    >> Dunno Roger but I got an email the other day announcing Igloo. With a
    >> bit of research I have figured out how they will prevent existing Sky
    >> users being cannibalised to this service:
    >>
    >> - No PVR as you say
    >> - Sky sports programs available as prepaid pay-per-view but I saw an
    >> HRV cup (cricket T20 game of 3.5 hours) available for $14.50. For
    >> about 2 ppv sports events you can get the whole lineup of SS 1, 2 and
    >> 3 for a month.
    >>
    >> I don't do movies so cant comment on ppv vs movies add-on.
    >>
    >> So Igloo might appeal to any Sky subscriber with just a decoder and
    >> the basic package. Otherwise it might appeal to those who get
    >> free-to-air and willing to pay a bit to get the extras.

    >In short market forces will govern. ;-)

    Its Terrestrial ONLY so might not be so good for Sky users.
    Frank Williams, Dec 5, 2012
  6. On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 00:23:26 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <k9k7r8$hvu$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >>On 4/12/2012 6:59 p.m., geoff wrote:
    >>> "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>> What's Igaloo ?

    >>Something important to our resident iganoramus I guess. :)

    >Yet another pay TV thing. Saw an add last night on the teev. But your point
    >appears valid. :)

    Most other counties have controls on the Sky monopoly but NZ is not one
    of them..

    Sky runs TVNZ..

    The Igloo thing is 51% own by Sky.

    And no good for people that cant get terrestrial Freeview.

    Plus you need a no Cap broadband Internet connection, as from what I
    can see no none metered option available

    Rentals are valid for a period of 48 hours after purchase.

    It seems that you have to have a credit card to use any part of this
    system.
    Frank Williams, Dec 5, 2012
  7. Frank Williams

    JohnO Guest

    JohnO, Dec 5, 2012
  8. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:k9m0le$kmi$...
    >>>Something important to our resident iganoramus I guess. :)

    >> Yet another pay TV thing. Saw an add last night on the teev. But your
    >> point
    >> appears valid. :)

    >Maybe he meant "Igloo" ?

    I suspect so. I always try to read what people mean rather than what they
    types. I gave up reading anything roger types a while back however because
    it became too hard to work that out. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 6, 2012