    the application DRM. As if they won't anyway...

    <http://techdirt.com/articles/20090227/0338093923.shtml>

    I think I'm getting ashamed to say that Android is Linux-based...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 28, 2009

  2. In message <49ae4cbf$>, vitw wrote:

    > Would-be cellphone hackers would be better to go with something truly
    > open such as the OpenMoko platform:
    >
    > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page

    Has anyone tried one of these here? How easy are they to connect to our
    cellphone networks?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    On Mar 5, 2:03 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, vitw wrote:
    >
    > > Would-be cellphone hackers would be better to go with something truly
    > > open such as the OpenMoko platform:

    > >http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page

    > Has anyone tried one of these here? How easy are they to connect to our
    > cellphone networks?

    I met someone with one last year. They seem to work in NZ, although I
    forget if anything special needed to be done for that.

    The current iterations aren't going to appeal to the general public,
    but for an open source geek that wants a completely flexible and
    hackable handheld computer / phone they are pretty cool.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Mar 5, 2009