If you're buying a cellphone in Hastings

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Quordlepleen, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. DON'T go to Digital Mobile.

    Three months ago, I bought a Siemens CVX65 from there, and now deeply
    regret doing so. Three weeks ago, it malfunctioned, and I took it in
    for repair. After ten days it came back, NOT FIXED. They waited one
    more day before sending back to the service agent, and then returned
    it, without explaining that the first “repair” had not addressed the
    problem. On Monday of this week, I contacted the Consumer’s Institute
    for help, and after that, sent faxes and emails to both the store,
    Digital Mobile’s head office, and Vodafone. That prompted Siemens to
    get involved, and today, exactly three weeks after first taking it in,
    my phone is back. I haven't picked it up yet, so the efficacy of this
    second "repair" is still unknown. Never once in those three weeks did
    Digital Mobile initiate communication with me, other than to tell me
    when the phone had come back, which they did first by leaving a message
    on my Vodafone voicemail, presuming that I had had another phone into
    which I could put my SIM card. There has been no apology for the
    ineptitude and tardiness of their service, or for the inconvenience
    this has caused me. Never was an offer made of a “loaner” phone, which
    oversight surprised The Consumer’s Institute.

    The real lesson in all of this is to be familiar with the Consumer
    Guarantees Act. The big mistake I made was in letting them send the
    phone back the second time. Had I known my rights, I could have, and
    probably would have, insisted on terminating the sales agreement and
    demanded a refund. Having learned this the hard way, I hope that others
    can profit from my misfortune. No retailer is going to explain
    consumerrs' rights, and many will cheerfully exploit consumers' lack of
    awareness, as Digital Mobile in Hastings did in this case. This emptor
    will be a lot more caveat in future.
    Max Quordlepleen, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Max Quordlepleen

    John Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:39:43 +1300, Max Quordlepleen
    <> wrote:

    >get involved, and today, exactly three weeks after first taking it in,
    >my phone is back. I haven't picked it up yet, so the efficacy of this

    Stop moaning and go pick your phone up!
    are you related to roger?
    John, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Max Quordlepleen

    Worm Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Stop moaning and go pick your phone up!
    > are you related to roger?

    Hah! The man has a point though..! I think I've toughened up to sales
    people recently...realise that there's no point taking shit from them, when
    you know your rights under consumer law :)

    Worm
    Worm, Nov 24, 2004
  4. On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:33:49 GMT, "Worm"
    <> proffered, in :

    > I think I've toughened up to sales
    > people recently...realise that there's no point taking shit from
    > them, when you know your rights under consumer law :)

    Exactly! I don’t even blame them for trying to get away with it. I
    will, however, warn others, so that they don’t have to go through it.
    Max Quordlepleen, Nov 24, 2004