...if you want 24 hour support, then...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tech, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Tech

    Tech Guest

    THE GRIPE LINE: ED FOSTER http://www.infoworld.com

    OFFICE 2003 REQUIRED

    Posted July 26, 11:44 PM Pacific Time

    It's just a little thing -- or is it? A reader recently wrote in about
    an annoying experience he had trying to get information from Microsoft's
    website.

    "I needed to know how to solve a problem we were experiencing in Outlook,
    so I went to Microsoft for help," wrote the reader. "After drilling
    down I found what looked like a link to a solution for our problem.
    Upon clicking on the link a page appeared and said that since the
    machine I was using did NOT have Office 2003 installed, that content was
    not available to me. I should go out and buy a new Office suite and
    upgrade to it and then I could have access."

    The Microsoft "Buy Office 2003" (
    http://newsletter.infoworld.com/t?ctl=7C2EDC:2585418 ) page
    he was redirected to informed him that "you have arrived at this page
    because you selected an item that is available only if you have a
    Microsoft Office 2003 Edition ... To read and work with premium content
    provided specifically for the 2003 release of Microsoft Office-
    including all training courses and some templates, clip art, and more-
    you need to upgrade to a new Microsoft Office System product."

    The reader's company had Office 2003 on some of its computers, but he
    didn't happen to be using one of them. "Now I have to go start up the
    laptop with the 2003 version on it, connect it to the network and return
    to that page before I can get the information I need," the reader wrote.
    "This is Microsoft's idea of customer service. It seems that with each
    new edition of Office, Microsoft finds ways to make its customers less
    productive and really irritated. I guess they are afraid that I might be
    'stealing' that information to use on a pirated copy of Office. But if
    I used a pirated copy, it would probably just give me the info anyway.
    The more I have to interact with Microsoft, the better Linux looks."

    Interestingly, it looks like even those with Office 2003 may have trouble
    getting to the restricted content. According to Microsoft's
    trouble-shooting page
    (http://newsletter.infoworld.com/t?ctl=7C2EDA:2585418), visitors need to
    have enabled the Active-X control on their browser
    and have their security set at medium for their Office 2003 installation
    to be detected. Of course, in the wake of the Download.ject attack, we
    know those settings are just asking for trouble.

    http://newsletter.infoworld.com/t?ctl=7C2EE3:2585418

    --
    __

    Tech, Jul 27, 2004