If you have a Nvidia 6800 you have been conned.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geronimo, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. Geronimo

    Geronimo Guest

    Go read this Forum

    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37673&page=13&pp=15

    Some Quotes.

    The video processing functions will never work on the 6800, this is due to a
    hardware failure within the processing unit.

    It seems if you need the Video function you have to get one of there PCI-E
    Cards

    Anyway does anyone else feel they have been conned not just by nvidia but by
    it's reseller partners? It clearly says on my box about the video
    capabilities.

    A great case here for CGA, advertised features just don't work..

    The later cards will work fine, e.g. 6600 series, 6200 series and soon to come
    6700 series, all PCI-E cards, and that means a new MoBo..

    But PCI-E is crap, bench marks reviews that I have seen posted, its slower
    than AGP..

    Geronimo, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Geronimo

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Geronimo wrote:

    > But PCI-E is crap, bench marks reviews that I have seen posted,
    > its slower than AGP..

    Hi Woger,

    That's a very sweeping statement and only holds true under certain
    circumstances:

    "for now, PCI Express offers no speed increase over AGP, despite the fact
    PCI Express 16X can push data around at speeds of up to 4 gigabytes per
    second (AGP 8X can manage 'only' 2.1 gigabytes per second)"

    and:

    "Expect to see a gradual shift to PCI Express as time goes on and software
    evolves to take full advantage of its improvements over AGP"

    http://tinyurl.com/6tqzr

    PCI-E may have no practical application for most users at this point in time
    but a colleague of mine is using PCI-E 16x for real time video editing and
    he says it's made a noticeable difference.

    Nik Coughin, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Geronimo

    Hmmm Guest

    Geronimo wrote:

    > Go read this Forum
    >
    > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37673&page=13&pp=15
    >

    > Some Quotes.
    >
    > The video processing functions will never work on the 6800, this is due to a
    > hardware failure within the processing unit.
    >
    > It seems if you need the Video function you have to get one of there PCI-E
    > Cards
    >
    > Anyway does anyone else feel they have been conned not just by nvidia but by
    > it's reseller partners? It clearly says on my box about the video
    > capabilities.
    >
    > A great case here for CGA, advertised features just don't work..
    >
    > The later cards will work fine, e.g. 6600 series, 6200 series and soon to come
    > 6700 series, all PCI-E cards, and that means a new MoBo..
    >

    > But PCI-E is crap, bench marks reviews that I have seen posted, its slower
    > than AGP..

    That last statement is crap, pci-e is fine, its just the lack of cards
    available at the moment to take advantage of it, that will obviously change.

    Hmmm, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Geronimo

    David Preece Guest

    Geronimo wrote:
    > The video processing functions will never work on the 6800, this is due to a
    > hardware failure within the processing unit.

    Yeah, I had a look at this this morning, and it was something about
    hardware MPEG-2 encoding not working.

    I can see that it might bother some people - but most of the pro-video
    world are using macs anyway.

    Dave

    David Preece, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Geronimo

    Geronimo Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:19:58 +1300, David Preece <>
    wrote:

    >Geronimo wrote:
    >> The video processing functions will never work on the 6800, this is due to a
    >> hardware failure within the processing unit.

    >Yeah, I had a look at this this morning, and it was something about
    >hardware MPEG-2 encoding not working.
    >
    >I can see that it might bother some people - but most of the pro-video
    >world are using macs anyway.
    >
    >Dave

    These is now a retraction on The Inquirer web site, it just states that you do
    need a later driver, and that the 6600 also adds support for the WMA as
    well.

    Geronimo, Oct 28, 2004
  6. David Preece wrote:
    >> The video processing functions will never work on the 6800, this is
    >> due to a
    >> hardware failure within the processing unit.

    > Yeah, I had a look at this this morning, and it was something about
    > hardware MPEG-2 encoding not working.

    I've read the contrary from an Nvidia spoks-person since this.
    somewhere on theinquirer.net

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz