If you have 4GB, are you getting 4GB?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. David J Taylor

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <lB4Df.11292$>,
    David J Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> David J Taylor wrote:

    >[]
    >>> The PC I'm talking about already has a 64-bit processor - the AMD
    >>> 4400 X2 as it happens. Precisely why I'm staying with the 4GB.
    >>>
    >>> David
    >>>

    >> That should keep you in CPU cycles for a few years. Care to trade for
    >> my 512MB AMD Athlon XP (1.8Ghz)? Grin.
    >> I have been thinking of replacing it, but the trauma of moving
    >> everything over to a new machine is daunting.

    >Yes, I'm not quite sure how I will schedule the move just yet. I expect
    >to use the Windows "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Need the desk
    >space for two PCs as well. Plus I'm just installing a small FreeBSD
    >system....

    A KVM switch is your friend.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
    Al Dykes, Jan 29, 2006

  2. On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:48:49 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> David J Taylor wrote:

    >[]
    >>> The PC I'm talking about already has a 64-bit processor - the AMD
    >>> 4400 X2 as it happens. Precisely why I'm staying with the 4GB.
    >>>
    >>> David
    >>>

    >> That should keep you in CPU cycles for a few years. Care to trade for
    >> my 512MB AMD Athlon XP (1.8Ghz)? Grin.
    >> I have been thinking of replacing it, but the trauma of moving
    >> everything over to a new machine is daunting.

    >Yes, I'm not quite sure how I will schedule the move just yet. I expect
    >to use the Windows "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Need the desk
    >space for two PCs as well. Plus I'm just installing a small FreeBSD
    >system....

    Just mount the old hard disk in the new machine, no? Unless you're running
    some RAID config and don't have a way to have both up and running in the
    new this is definitely the quickest most direct way, imo.

    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 29, 2006

  3. David J Taylor wrote:

    > The PC I'm talking about already has a 64-bit processor - the AMD
    > 4400 X2 as it happens. Precisely why I'm staying with the 4GB.

    Which MB are you using?

    Rita
    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 29, 2006
  4. Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> The PC I'm talking about already has a 64-bit processor - the AMD
    >> 4400 X2 as it happens. Precisely why I'm staying with the 4GB.

    > Which MB are you using?

    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 30, 2006
  5. David J Taylor

    Ron Hunter Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> David J Taylor wrote:

    > []
    >>> The PC I'm talking about already has a 64-bit processor - the AMD
    >>> 4400 X2 as it happens. Precisely why I'm staying with the 4GB.
    >>>
    >>> David
    >>>

    >> That should keep you in CPU cycles for a few years. Care to trade for
    >> my 512MB AMD Athlon XP (1.8Ghz)? Grin.
    >> I have been thinking of replacing it, but the trauma of moving
    >> everything over to a new machine is daunting.

    > Yes, I'm not quite sure how I will schedule the move just yet. I expect
    > to use the Windows "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Need the desk
    > space for two PCs as well. Plus I'm just installing a small FreeBSD
    > system....
    >
    > David

    The last time I switched, I just set the new system up in the dining
    area, ran an ethernet cable to the router, and did the setup that way,
    then swapped them on my desk. That worked very well, so I will probably
    do the same thing next time.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 30, 2006
  6. David J Taylor

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:48:49 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>> David J Taylor wrote:

    >> []

    >>> That should keep you in CPU cycles for a few years. Care to trade for
    >>> my 512MB AMD Athlon XP (1.8Ghz)? Grin.
    >>> I have been thinking of replacing it, but the trauma of moving
    >>> everything over to a new machine is daunting.

    >> Yes, I'm not quite sure how I will schedule the move just yet. I expect
    >> to use the Windows "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Need the desk
    >> space for two PCs as well. Plus I'm just installing a small FreeBSD
    >> system....

    > Just mount the old hard disk in the new machine, no? Unless you're running
    > some RAID config and don't have a way to have both up and running in the
    > new this is definitely the quickest most direct way, imo.

    I don't open cases any more. There was a time when that was fun, but no
    longer.....
    Ron Hunter, Jan 30, 2006
  7. David J Taylor

    Roger Guest

    On 28 Jan 2006 13:48:32 -0500, (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Hywel Jenkins <> wrote:
    >>In article <XFbCf.9780$>, david-
    >>-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
    >>> If you are fortunate enough to have 4GB of physical memory for your image
    >>> editing with Windows XP, are you actually seeing 4GB?

    >>Eh? Windows uses the physical memory it needs, then some more, and once
    >>it's run out it uses the disk as well.
    >>

    >The max size of any single process (or data structure) is 2GB in a 32
    >bit system, and the pagefile gets used when total of all process

    This when thing *really* slow down.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger, Feb 2, 2006