    matter what.

    cheers!
    Doc
    Doc Martian, Mar 23, 2006

  2. Doc Martian

    jb Guest

    Re: if you guys go non-hybrid blu-ray or hd-dvd.... you guys maybe looking at laserdisc/sacd type sales.

    50 gigabytes sounds great. When does it become a viable backup?
    jb, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Doc Martian

    Larry G Guest

    "Doc Martian" <> wrote in message ...
    > dvds are less than 10 years old.... make sure you allow the marketplace to
    > trickledown before you go whomping up some new shit.
    >
    > my advice? go hybrid blu-ray/dvd or hybrid hd-dvd/dvd... otherwise? your
    > hype will waste a lot of your money that you have to charge back to the
    > consumer.... doing the hybrid is a failsafe method... one that means when
    > someone picks up a dvd for their family... it plays in their player... no
    > matter what.

    I was thinking that as of now Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will only be a niche
    regional market mostly for North America or Japan (Note for Blu-Ray,
    Japan
    and North America are the same region) until the rest of the world
    catches
    on to hi-def. For example, Europe has gone digital, but they are
    sticking
    with 480p for the most part (SD). There's only one major satellite
    channel
    there in hi-def, the Belgian-based Euro1080. BBC is mainly producing
    hi-def
    programs for worldwide export so far.

    So is it doomed to fail? Plus this, you'd better have HDMI or we
    down-convert stuff bothers me. This would render my dad's older analog
    CRT
    hi-def Philips set useless.

    We should have DVD Audio and/or SACD as default right now. The major
    fact
    that most standard *DVD* players will not play DVD Audio is absolutely
    absurd to me right now.

    Larry
    Larry G, Mar 23, 2006