    So now I'm dropping my connection every once in a while (which is a problem
    for me) and I can't use my "better" router. What in the world can I do to
    fix this?

    James, Oct 20, 2005

  2. you may want to look for an updated driver for the card. I'm having a similar
    issue and an updated driver seems to be helping.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=, Oct 20, 2005

  3. James

    Mercury Guest

    Firstly, on any given machine use either the vendor supplied wireless config
    s/w or the Windows Wireless Zero config, *never* both. I have always found
    the Windows stuff to work fine so long as you have Windows XP with Service
    Pack 2 installed - simple & easy, but dos not have the bells & whistles. If
    you are going to use the vendors s/w disable the wireless zero config
    service in the services.msc (click start, run, type in services.msc, scroll
    to Wireless Zero Configuration, double click, click stop if its running and
    change the start mode to disabled - reverse the process if you wisg to use
    it *and* have disabled / removed the vendors s/w).

    Second on your 54 Mbps router, set it up the same as th 11, and check you
    have DHCP enabled - check the parameters with the 11 box. DHCP is the thing
    tha hands out IP addresses.

    Lastly: As for the connection dropping this could be for a variety of
    reasons. If there are a lot of networks in your area then you may be using a
    congested channel. If you get the 56 (wireless) router going this may solve
    it. Otherwise check at the vendors web sites for upated drivers. It can be
    due to interference, weak signal (how strong is it), poor drivers, and
    sometimes WEP doesn't work too well on some cards.

    HTH

    Mercury, Oct 21, 2005
  4. James,
    this case is so familiar to me. This is not any configuration issue. its
    a hardware issue. many reviews of Netgear WG311Tis similar to this. check
    their support for updates.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2lDa0NvVw==?=, Oct 23, 2005