If You Buy Something, Do You Own It?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 18, 2009.

  1. Amazon "unsells" previously-purchased books
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=21311>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 18, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 18, 12:52 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Amazon "unsells" previously-purchased books
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=21311>.

    If you buy a stolen car do you own it?

    JohnO, Jul 18, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-18, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > Amazon "unsells" previously-purchased books
    ><http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=21311>.

    So they refunded the buyers.

    Gordon, Jul 18, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:h3r6c9$nrn$...
    > Amazon "unsells" previously-purchased books
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=21311>.

    Of course - if you received good title.

    However, if someone steals your property, and sells it to me, I don't
    get to keep it if you find it / me. I do have recourse to the person
    who sold it to me though.

    This is very basic law Lawrence.

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min probably much longer).

    Alan, Jul 18, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Peter Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Amazon "unsells" previously-purchased books
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=21311>.

    Amazing!
    The deleted books included George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm!
    http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/some-e-books-are-more-equal-than-
    others/

    I don't know whether Orwell would laugh or cry.

    And I wonder if they also deleted Fahrenheit 451?

    Do the book publishers have a really twisted sense of humour?

    Peter

    Peter, Jul 19, 2009
  6. In message <h3tp7i$f3h$-september.org>, Peter wrote:

    > The deleted books included George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm!

    Many people have worried over the centuries about the increasing ability of
    the State to restrict freedom of thought and expression. Nobody dreamed that
    the biggest threat would come from powerful private corporations ostensibly
    trying to protect their copyright.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2009