    As more people use faster internet connections like cable, will dialup
    speeds increase since, theoretically, there may be fewer people tying
    up phone lines?

    cgott, Dec 13, 2004

  2. cgott

    Thor Guest

    no. Each user on dialup has as much bandwidth as they are going to get, no
    matter how many people are on dialup as well. It's a technological
    limitation of the telephone lines, and switching, not the ability of the ISP
    to feed the connection.

    Thor, Dec 13, 2004

  3. cgott

    The One Guest

    "cgott" <> wrote in message
    > As more people use faster internet connections like cable, will dialup
    > speeds increase since, theoretically, there may be fewer people tying
    > up phone lines?

    Yes theoretically if everyone switches to broadband, this will leave dial-up
    clear of all traffic and will eventually be faster than broadband itself.

    The One, Dec 13, 2004
  4. The One wrote:
    > "cgott" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>As more people use faster internet connections like cable, will dialup
    >>speeds increase since, theoretically, there may be fewer people tying
    >>up phone lines?
    >>

    > Yes theoretically if everyone switches to broadband, this will leave dial-up
    > clear of all traffic and will eventually be faster than broadband itself.

    LOL

    Yours Sincerely,
    Samuël ML Lison

    --
    DreamCities.net - A Community for All! (http://www.dreamcities.net)
    Jobs Available: http://business.dreamcities.net/jobs.html

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?=, Dec 14, 2004
  5. cgott

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > no. Each user on dialup has as much bandwidth as they are going to
    > get, no matter how many people are on dialup as well. It's a
    > technological limitation of the telephone lines, and switching, not
    > the ability of the ISP to feed the connection.

    Definitely. Looking at our bandwith monitor here, we could in theory take
    another 70,000 dialup customers and not max out our upstream bandwith.
    With an average connection of 42kbit/sec, the limitation is definitely on
    the dialup side vs how much spare bandwith your ISP has laying around.

    Jim Berwick, Dec 14, 2004
  6. cgott

    Jerry G. Guest

    The dialup speed is depended on the phone line and the dialup modem as the
    bottleneck. The next bottleneck is the serial port, or the equivalent to
    one. No matter what happens, the dialup modem service will be restricted,
    due to the type of technology that it is.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Dec 15, 2004