    here.
    Anyway, any recommendations for the one you'd buy if money were no object?
    and yes, I murmer "thank-you" to Providence several times a day!
    nck, Aug 28, 2003

  2. nck

    shakewell Guest

    "nck" <> wrote:
    > I sort of have my mind set on this, but will take input happily.

    Perhaps you could donate some of your fortune to an organisation that helps
    disadvantaged persons.

    F=_
    --
    People that worry about the past are still living there.
    shakewell, Aug 28, 2003

  3. > Anyway, no question for me it would be the Canon 1Ds and at least a couple L
    > lenses!

    Yep, that sounds about right.

    (And I'm a heavily-invested-in-Nikon guy)

    Stan
    Stanley Krute, Aug 28, 2003
  4. nck

    nck Guest

    in article bijm9a$ct3$, shakewell at
    wrote on 8/27/03 20:35:

    > "nck" <> wrote:
    >> I sort of have my mind set on this, but will take input happily.

    > Perhaps you could donate some of your fortune to an organisation that helps
    > disadvantaged persons.
    >
    > F=_
    > --
    > People that worry about the past are still living there.

    thanks for the self-righteous vote...
    as a matter of fact, I am taking care of several "disadvantaged" who are
    known to me and keep an eye out for where I can help. I spent most of my
    life living hand-to-mouth myself, although I have to say I liked my job. I
    gave up my job and,more importantly, my freedom to come and go over a year
    ago to take care of the relative who left me all this without knowing that
    he planned to do so...I had no idea he was so well-off, I did it because I
    loved him and he needed it.
    In the past I have spent my leisure time helping staff homeless shelters and
    my xmas hols in NYC in helping to make a xmas dinner for our "guests."
    So stuff your self-righteousness.
    nck, Aug 28, 2003
  5. nck

    nck Guest

    in article , Mark B. at
    wrote on 8/27/03 20:00:

    > If money were no object? But don't go overboard? How contradictory, LOL.
    > Anyway, no question for me it would be the Canon 1Ds and at least a couple L
    > lenses!
    >
    > Mark

    let's put it this way: after drooling over the Mikimoto pearls the other
    day, I opted to purchase a string of fresh-water that were well under $200
    but I just happened to like due to their irregularity (and price.)
    There is making yourself happy and then there is just spending money!! ;-)
    Anyway, if you buy something like Mikimoto pearls they end up spending more
    time under lock and key somewhere like the safe-deposit box than being hung
    around your neck!
    but I digress.
    I don't want a camera that is simply expensive...I want something I can
    "play" with yet get an esthetically-satisfying result. I have been looking
    at the Canons and am inclined to agree with you. I love Nikon and own a
    D100 which I enjoy but there seem to be a better selection of lenses for the
    canons. I used to own an EOS and liked it a lot.
    thanks for the input.
    nck, Aug 28, 2003
  6. nck <> writes:

    > I sort of have my mind set on this, but will take input happily.
    > I just inherited a HUGE amount of money. Once my head stopped spinning (I
    > literally had to hang my head down and ask for a glass of cold water at the
    > lawyer's office) I started realizing that I can now buy whatever camera I
    > want. I would like to stick with NIkon and won't go TOO high since my
    > activities have shifted focus (no pun intended) somewhat and I am hanging up
    > my "going for pro" hat for the time being. In short, let's not go overboard
    > here.
    > Anyway, any recommendations for the one you'd buy if money were no object?
    > and yes, I murmer "thank-you" to Providence several times a day!

    Well, if I win the lottery tonight, I'll be on the phone to B&H
    tomorrow for a Nikon D2h and a Kodak DCS 14n, and a few lenses.
    (nikon film bodies and a Fuji S2 right now). And probably a Nikon
    Coolpix SQ, too. Why not? Money would be no object!
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 28, 2003
  7. On 27 Aug 2003 21:52:24 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    wrote:

    >nck <> writes:
    >
    >> I sort of have my mind set on this, but will take input happily.
    >> I just inherited a HUGE amount of money. Once my head stopped spinning (I
    >> literally had to hang my head down and ask for a glass of cold water at the
    >> lawyer's office) I started realizing that I can now buy whatever camera I
    >> want. I would like to stick with NIkon and won't go TOO high since my
    >> activities have shifted focus (no pun intended) somewhat and I am hanging up
    >> my "going for pro" hat for the time being. In short, let's not go overboard
    >> here.
    >> Anyway, any recommendations for the one you'd buy if money were no object?
    >> and yes, I murmer "thank-you" to Providence several times a day!

    >Well, if I win the lottery tonight, I'll be on the phone to B&H
    >tomorrow for a Nikon D2h and a Kodak DCS 14n, and a few lenses.
    >(nikon film bodies and a Fuji S2 right now). And probably a Nikon
    >Coolpix SQ, too. Why not? Money would be no object!

    I agree with this as far as it goes. I have Nikin glass and an F5 now,
    but in the money no object situation I would like one of those monster
    Canon IS telephotos (not zoom). and a body to go with it. Just because
    I like to do birds.

    Maybe I would hire someone to carry it around behind me also. :)

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    Was George B. Selden the true Inventor of the submarine patent?
    Rodney Myrvaagnes, Aug 28, 2003
  8. nck

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:59:36 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
    <> wrote:

    >On 27 Aug 2003 21:52:24 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>nck <> writes:
    >>
    >>> I sort of have my mind set on this, but will take input happily.
    >>> I just inherited a HUGE amount of money. Once my head stopped spinning (I
    >>> literally had to hang my head down and ask for a glass of cold water at the
    >>> lawyer's office) I started realizing that I can now buy whatever camera I
    >>> want. I would like to stick with NIkon and won't go TOO high since my
    >>> activities have shifted focus (no pun intended) somewhat and I am hanging up
    >>> my "going for pro" hat for the time being. In short, let's not go overboard
    >>> here.
    >>> Anyway, any recommendations for the one you'd buy if money were no object?
    >>> and yes, I murmer "thank-you" to Providence several times a day!

    >>Well, if I win the lottery tonight, I'll be on the phone to B&H
    >>tomorrow for a Nikon D2h and a Kodak DCS 14n, and a few lenses.
    >>(nikon film bodies and a Fuji S2 right now). And probably a Nikon
    >>Coolpix SQ, too. Why not? Money would be no object!

    >I agree with this as far as it goes. I have Nikin glass and an F5 now,
    >but in the money no object situation I would like one of those monster
    >Canon IS telephotos (not zoom). and a body to go with it. Just because
    >I like to do birds.
    >
    >Maybe I would hire someone to carry it around behind me also. :)

    As a lady who recently inherited a LOT of cash (and much of it is
    still burning a big whole in my pocket) I'm writing down these camera
    names to look at them at a later date.

    Tomorrow. :)
    Ms. Jaime, Aug 28, 2003
  9. nck

    Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:13:06 -0400, Ms. Jaime <>
    wrote:

    >As a lady who recently inherited a LOT of cash (and much of it is
    >still burning a big whole in my pocket) I'm writing down these camera
    >names to look at them at a later date.
    >
    >Tomorrow. :)

    Now that's perked up my interest!!! The south of England is looking a
    very attractive place to photograph at the moment if you've not got a
    lot to do. Co-incidentally.................

    MJ
    , Aug 28, 2003
  10. nck

    GCW Guest

    On 8/27/03 9:13 PM, in article ,
    "Ms. Jaime" <> wrote:

    > As a lady who recently inherited a LOT of cash (and much of it is
    > still burning a big whole in my pocket)

    Maybe you should invest in a grammar checker.. The word you were looking for
    is "hole."
    GCW, Aug 28, 2003
  11. Rodney Myrvaagnes <> writes:

    > On 27 Aug 2003 21:52:24 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >nck <> writes:
    > >
    > >> I sort of have my mind set on this, but will take input happily.
    > >> I just inherited a HUGE amount of money. Once my head stopped spinning (I
    > >> literally had to hang my head down and ask for a glass of cold water at the
    > >> lawyer's office) I started realizing that I can now buy whatever camera I
    > >> want. I would like to stick with NIkon and won't go TOO high since my
    > >> activities have shifted focus (no pun intended) somewhat and I am hanging up
    > >> my "going for pro" hat for the time being. In short, let's not go overboard
    > >> here.
    > >> Anyway, any recommendations for the one you'd buy if money were no object?
    > >> and yes, I murmer "thank-you" to Providence several times a day!

    > >Well, if I win the lottery tonight, I'll be on the phone to B&H
    > >tomorrow for a Nikon D2h and a Kodak DCS 14n, and a few lenses.
    > >(nikon film bodies and a Fuji S2 right now). And probably a Nikon
    > >Coolpix SQ, too. Why not? Money would be no object!

    > I agree with this as far as it goes. I have Nikin glass and an F5 now,
    > but in the money no object situation I would like one of those monster
    > Canon IS telephotos (not zoom). and a body to go with it. Just because
    > I like to do birds.

    I'm not a birder myself, so it's less tempting to me. I'm more
    interested in hand-holdability in low light -- an IS lens would still
    be good, but it has to be a fast one not a slow one. The 70-200 IS
    f2.8 would be a win for me. Yeah, if money were really no object I
    might well buy one of each and play for a while, and finally settle on
    what I really liked. Canon does (or at least did, I think they
    discontinued them) have some ultra-fast lenses of interest.

    > Maybe I would hire someone to carry it around behind me also. :)

    Yes, *that's* what infinite money is for!
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 28, 2003
  12. nck

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:35:33 GMT, in this august forum,
    nck <> said:

    >I sort of have my mind set on this, but will take input happily.
    >I just inherited a HUGE amount of money. Once my head stopped spinning (I
    >literally had to hang my head down and ask for a glass of cold water at the
    >lawyer's office) I started realizing that I can now buy whatever camera I
    >want. I would like to stick with NIkon and won't go TOO high since my
    >activities have shifted focus (no pun intended) somewhat and I am hanging up
    >my "going for pro" hat for the time being. In short, let's not go overboard
    >here.
    >Anyway, any recommendations for the one you'd buy if money were no object?
    >and yes, I murmer "thank-you" to Providence several times a day!

    I'd do something I've always wanted to do, which would be to buy the
    best camera from each of the top 5 brands, & settle all the "Brand X vs
    Brand Y" arguments to my own satisfaction.

    Lionel, Aug 28, 2003
  13. nck

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:50:20 -0700, GCW <>
    wrote:

    >On 8/27/03 9:13 PM, in article ,
    >"Ms. Jaime" <> wrote:
    >
    >> As a lady who recently inherited a LOT of cash (and much of it is
    >> still burning a big whole in my pocket)

    >Maybe you should invest in a grammar checker.. The word you were looking for
    >is "hole."

    I realized that after I sent that post.

    Forgive my typo...it was late and I was tired.
    Ms. Jaime, Aug 28, 2003
  14. nck

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:20:18 +0100, wrote:

    >Now that's perked up my interest!!! The south of England is looking a
    >very attractive place to photograph at the moment if you've not got a
    >lot to do.

    Actually I do have a lot to do right now what with helping my teenaged
    boys get ready for the upcoming school year in a few more days.

    I always procrastinate every year and leave the school supplies
    shopping for the very last minute.

    But a trip to the south of England.......*sigh*.
    That would be nice.
    Ms. Jaime, Aug 28, 2003
  15. nck

    Mikey Guest

    nck loudly proclaimed to the world that:

    >I gave up my job and,more importantly, my freedom to
    > come and go over a year ago to take care of the relative who left me
    > all this without knowing that he planned to do so...I had no idea he
    > was so well-off, I did it because I loved him and he needed it.
    > In the past I have spent my leisure time helping staff homeless
    > shelters and my xmas hols in NYC in helping to make a xmas dinner for
    > our "guests."
    > So stuff your self-righteousness.

    Assuming this is all true, good for you, it's great to hear that someone who
    actually deserved it got a great windfall, usually it's the ones who don't
    that get them. Keep up the good works, and I think going with a nice 1Ds
    and a great assortment of the best canon lenses would be wise for your
    situtation too..enjoy them!

    --

    Mikey
    http://www.mike721.com
    Mikey, Aug 28, 2003
  16. nck

    Mikey Guest

    Rumpis loudly proclaimed to the world that:

    > I'll will hire few pro photographers from National Geographic to make
    > photos I like ;-)

    But that would take all the fun out of it
    --

    Mikey
    http://www.mike721.com
    Mikey, Aug 28, 2003