If it ONLY lists Widescreen, does it mean (that) DVD has NO Std. 4:3 TV display option?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Curious Angel, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. I'm asking because I'm having a hard time locating a site that has
    something like a chart that CLEARLY (eg) X's in the features
    PAN-AND-SCAN _and_ WIDESCREEN so I might see which DVD's are
    proprietary to just the one format alone. Obviously my preference
    would be that they have both, but . . . since it'll be 15+ years
    before I lay out another grand for a new TV, I'll have to bypass those
    DVD's that are ONLY Widescreen.

    Just can't tell which of them have BOTH (I hope that made sense heh
    heh).

    What I'm really looking for is a SITE, you see.

    Anybody got a favorite (store, online DVD review, search engine,
    database etc.) that actually has a CHART showing each retail DVD's
    display options? Please PLEASE post it, because I'm afraid to start
    shopping for my first DVD's without understanding fully what I am
    purchasing.

    Thanks!

    Angel

    Curious Angel, Nov 30, 2003

  2. Curious Angel

    Rick Pali Guest

    "Curious Angel" <> wrote:

    > since it'll be 15+ years before I lay out another
    > grand for a new TV, I'll have to bypass those
    > DVD's that are ONLY Widescreen.

    I dunno...I've got a 4:3 TV and not only do I insist on widescreen DVD, but
    I won't buy it unless it's anamorphic as well.

    Rick.
    -+---

    http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

    Rick Pali, Nov 30, 2003

  3. Curious Angel

    Justin Guest

    Curious Angel wrote on [30 Nov 2003 12:44:05 -0800]:
    > I'm asking because I'm having a hard time locating a site that has
    > something like a chart that CLEARLY (eg) X's in the features
    > PAN-AND-SCAN _and_ WIDESCREEN so I might see which DVD's are
    > proprietary to just the one format alone. Obviously my preference
    > would be that they have both, but . . . since it'll be 15+ years
    > before I lay out another grand for a new TV, I'll have to bypass those
    > DVD's that are ONLY Widescreen.

    widescreen DVDs work just fine on your regular TV

    > Anybody got a favorite (store, online DVD review, search engine,
    > database etc.) that actually has a CHART showing each retail DVD's
    > display options? Please PLEASE post it, because I'm afraid to start
    > shopping for my first DVD's without understanding fully what I am
    > purchasing.

    get widescreen DVDs.

    Justin, Nov 30, 2003
  4. Curious Angel

    Rutgar Guest

    On 30 Nov 2003 12:44:05 -0800, (Curious Angel)
    wrote:

    >I'm asking because I'm having a hard time locating a site that has
    >something like a chart that CLEARLY (eg) X's in the features
    >PAN-AND-SCAN _and_ WIDESCREEN so I might see which DVD's are
    >proprietary to just the one format alone. Obviously my preference
    >would be that they have both, but . . . since it'll be 15+ years
    >before I lay out another grand for a new TV, I'll have to bypass those
    >DVD's that are ONLY Widescreen.

    No matter how long it will be before you can buy a 16x9 digital TV,
    you still want to buy anamorphic DVD's. Otherwise, you're going to
    be awfully disapointed when viewing your "Pan-and-Scam" DVD's on your
    set.

    >Just can't tell which of them have BOTH (I hope that made sense heh
    >heh).
    >
    >What I'm really looking for is a SITE, you see.

    The site you really need to go to is this one:

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/welcome.html

    It will tell you why anamorphic widescreen DVD's are what you want.
    No matter what kind of TV you have.

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Dec 1, 2003
  5. In alt.video.dvd Curious Angel <> wrote:
    : I'm asking because (snip)

    What is it that you're asking? Your "subject" line was so long it got
    cut, and you didn't re-state your question in the body of the message.

    Richard G Amirault, Dec 1, 2003
  6. Not really involved in this thread but I thought I would drop my 2 cents
    into the kiddie! I buy widescreen also exclusively simply because thats the
    way it was meant to be seen! However, I do think many people (who knows
    why) like Fool Screen! I actually prefer DVDs that have fool screen on one
    side and widescreen on the other! Unfortunately not all movies are
    available that way!

    If I may vent allitte, this is the thing that pisses me off about
    DeepDiscountDVD.com! Alot of there movie listings do not specify FS or WS,
    so I always call in my orders and just tell them that I want all the dvds in
    WS if available! I still get a couple FS editions here and there but, to me
    at least, its not the end of the world!

    Glenn

    Glenn \(SBfan2000\), Dec 1, 2003
  7. Curious Angel

    Justin Guest

    Glenn (SBfan2000) wrote on [Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:19:55 -0500]:
    > Alot of there movie listings do not specify FS or WS,

    That should read "A lot of their"

    Justin, Dec 1, 2003
  8. Curious Angel

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Justin" <2go.com> wrote in message
    > Glenn (SBfan2000) wrote on [Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:19:55 -0500]:
    > > Alot of there movie listings do not specify FS or WS,

    > That should read "A lot of their"

    Brilliant and inspired spelling correction post. I look forward to your
    future input.

    Jay Stewart, Dec 1, 2003
  9. Re: If it ONLY lists Widescreen, does it mean (that) DVD has NO Std.

    Curious Angel wrote:
    >since it'll be 15+ years
    > before I lay out another grand for a new TV, I'll have to bypass those
    > DVD's that are ONLY Widescreen.

    WHY?!

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 1, 2003
  10. Curious Angel

    Animeg3282 Guest

    Animeg3282, Dec 1, 2003
  11. Curious Angel

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : Just can't tell which of them have BOTH (I hope that made sense heh
    : heh).
    :
    : What I'm really looking for is a SITE, you see.
    :
    : Anybody got a favorite (store, online DVD review, search engine,
    : database etc.) that actually has a CHART showing each retail DVD's
    : display options? Please PLEASE post it, because I'm afraid to start
    : shopping for my first DVD's without understanding fully what I am
    : purchasing.
    :
    : Thanks!
    :
    : Angel

    =====================
    4:3 is not standard for newer movies.
    Virtually all of them are 1.85:1 or 2.35:1.
    Cutting them to 4:3 destroys the movie.

    Widescreen is the standard for newer TV shows as well as movies.
    ======================

    Richard C., Dec 1, 2003
  12. you got the jsit so why deos it mettar?

    Glenn \(SBfan2000\), Dec 1, 2003
  13. Curious Angel

    Richard C. Guest

    : Glenn (SBfan2000) wrote on [Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:19:55 -0500]:
    : > Alot of there movie listings do not specify FS or WS,
    :
    : That should read "A lot of their"

    ==========
    and one does not put their two cents into a "kiddie".
    At least I hope not..................

    Richard C., Dec 1, 2003
  14. 9 replies.

    And not a one of you people can come up with even _1_ good site
    listing DVD features?

    tsk. pathetic.

    Curious Angel, Dec 1, 2003
  15. Curious Angel

    Richard C. Guest

    "Curious Angel" <> wrote in message
    : 9 replies.
    :
    : And not a one of you people can come up with even _1_ good site
    : listing DVD features?
    :
    : tsk. pathetic.

    =============
    Wanting FS/P&S is pathetic.

    Why would such a site be useful?

    Richard C., Dec 1, 2003
  16. Curious Angel

    Justin Guest

    Curious Angel wrote on [1 Dec 2003 07:15:14 -0800]:
    > 9 replies.
    >
    > And not a one of you people can come up with even _1_ good site
    > listing DVD features?
    >
    > tsk. pathetic.

    Yes... and your URL must have been accidentally deleted.

    Justin, Dec 1, 2003
  17. Curious Angel

    Rick Pali Guest

    "Curious Angel" <> wrote:

    > And not a one of you people can come up with even _1_ good site
    > listing DVD features?
    >
    > tsk. pathetic.

    Wanting to see only 60% of the film is the pathetic part.

    Rick.
    -+---

    http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

    Rick Pali, Dec 1, 2003
  18. Curious Angel

    Adrian Guest

    Curious Angel wrote:
    > 9 replies.
    >
    > And not a one of you people can come up with even _1_ good site
    > listing DVD features?
    >
    > tsk. pathetic.

    Your question was pathetic, you did not make it clear what you were asking.

    Adrian, Dec 1, 2003
  19. Re: If it ONLY lists Widescreen, does it mean (that) DVD has NO Std.

    Richard C. wrote:
    > "Curious Angel" <> wrote in message
    > : 9 replies.
    > :
    > : And not a one of you people can come up with even _1_ good site
    > : listing DVD features?
    > :
    > : tsk. pathetic.
    >
    > =============
    > Wanting FS/P&S is pathetic.
    >
    > Why would such a site be useful?

    Amen, sister.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 1, 2003
  20. Curious Angel

    Smaug69 Guest

    (Curious Angel) wrote in message news:<>...
    > 9 replies.
    >
    > And not a one of you people can come up with even _1_ good site
    > listing DVD features?
    >
    > tsk. pathetic.

    That's because no one really cares to help you buy bastardized
    versions of films on DVD. You might as well buy abridged collections
    of Shakespeare, Dickens and Poe.

    If you go here:

    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/dvdlist.htm

    and download the Excel spreadsheet version of the list, there is a
    column which indicates whether the DVD is 4x3/P&S, 4x3 Letterbox(what
    most people call widescreen) or 16x9 Anamorphic.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Dec 1, 2003