If it ain't broke . .

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, May 1, 2006.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Because of an occasional screen crash when starting Age of Empires I
    decided to update my ATI graphics drivers which date back to Feb '05.
    While looking into that I noticed a link to Omega optimized drivers
    and decided to give those a go. So I downloaded Radeon Win 9X/Me
    Omega Drivers 2.6.37 and installed them (I have 98SE). Fine,
    everything nice. I normally run my 19" CRT monitor at 1152 x 864 (I
    don't like the 1:1.25 ration of 1280 x 1024) but 1280 x 960 was never
    available as a resolution before but the Omega drivers provided that.
    I was pleased, the screen looked good at that res.

    Though I have a standalone DVD player I prefer to watch DVDs on the PC
    because of the high-res display, high sharpness and smoothness of the
    DVD picture. With the new Omega drivers I noticed that the longer the
    DVD played the worse the picture got. It was especially noticeable in
    dull low contrast scenes such as in a misty forest, where the tones
    got a horrible stepped contour effect almost like I was only running
    256 colours. It was the same at different resolutions and colour
    depths. There was also a diagonal shearing effect on panning shots
    and noticeable in a fire scene but that might possibly have been due
    to the fact that I had left the refresh at the adapter default (56Hz)
    instead of 75Hz it was on originally.

    I decided to uninstall the driver and used the ATI cat-uninstaller,
    or registry entries and proceeded to reinstall the original driver.
    Unfortunately the problem hadn't gone away and I couldn't trace what
    was causing it. I noticed the extra resolutions were still there. In
    the end I decided to nuke the partition and restore a recent image of
    the drive. Now it is back to normal with excellent DVD quality. But
    there is no extra resolutions as I had before. I have downloaded the
    latest driver from ATI and before I install it wonder if anyone knows
    if that has the extra resolutions, such as 1280 x 960?

    GraB, May 1, 2006

  2. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 17:33:19 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >Because of an occasional screen crash when starting Age of Empires I
    >decided to update my ATI graphics drivers which date back to Feb '05.
    >While looking into that I noticed a link to Omega optimized drivers
    >and decided to give those a go. So I downloaded Radeon Win 9X/Me
    >Omega Drivers 2.6.37 and installed them (I have 98SE). Fine,
    >everything nice. I normally run my 19" CRT monitor at 1152 x 864 (I
    >don't like the 1:1.25 ration of 1280 x 1024) but 1280 x 960 was never
    >available as a resolution before but the Omega drivers provided that.
    >I was pleased, the screen looked good at that res.
    >
    >Though I have a standalone DVD player I prefer to watch DVDs on the PC
    >because of the high-res display, high sharpness and smoothness of the
    >DVD picture. With the new Omega drivers I noticed that the longer the
    >DVD played the worse the picture got. It was especially noticeable in
    >dull low contrast scenes such as in a misty forest, where the tones
    >got a horrible stepped contour effect almost like I was only running
    >256 colours. It was the same at different resolutions and colour
    >depths. There was also a diagonal shearing effect on panning shots
    >and noticeable in a fire scene but that might possibly have been due
    >to the fact that I had left the refresh at the adapter default (56Hz)
    >instead of 75Hz it was on originally.

    The problem was also visible on the TV card.

    GraB, May 1, 2006

  3. GraB

    Zonter Guest

    Hi, I'm Alessandro Saitta, a 37 y.o. italian man. I live in Follonica
    (Grosseto) Italy - Cassarello street, 131. I'm the most famous
    italian spammer in the world. If you uderstand italian language, come
    to visit my site at:
    http://tinyurl.com/q7uh2

    Don't miss the amazing opportunity to meet the italian 'cantautore alla
    bona' at: www.lellovitello.it

    Hurry up! so come on! Don't you know the italian 'Cantore della Merda'?
    Don't waste your time and come to: www.joenatta.com !

    Express your opinions about everything! No restrictions! Multi
    language site at: www.what-about.it !

    Zonter, May 1, 2006