    Yeah, I am pissed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
    plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.

    I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD
    Guest, Feb 23, 2008

  2. Guest

    Guest

    On Feb 23, 1:11 pm, <> wrote:
    > If I were Toshiba, I would be pissed.

    If you were Toshiba, maybe you actually would have marketed your own
    product, and convinced more than a few studios to release movies on
    your format. Unfortunately, the group that's actually called
    "Toshiba" in the real world did no such thing.

    > Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
    > DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.

    Umm... why? If you already have the movie, why would you need another
    copy of it?

    > That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.

    If you already have the movie, I'd fail to see the appeal to having a
    redundant copy.

    > or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
    > so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.

    If you want real copies, you'll need to use a PC.

    > I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
    > been different.

    I also think selling the hardware at anything resembling a profit
    might have helped.

    > Yeah, I am pissed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
    > plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.

    If it bothers you, you are not the type of consumer who should be an
    early adopter.

    > I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD

    Have fun!

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    , Feb 23, 2008

  3. Guest

    Telstar Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On Feb 23, 1:11 pm, <> wrote:
    > If I were Toshiba, I would be pissed.

    If you were Toshiba, maybe you actually would have marketed your own
    product, and convinced more than a few studios to release movies on
    your format. Unfortunately, the group that's actually called
    "Toshiba" in the real world did no such thing.

    Nonsense

    > Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
    > DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.

    They signed agreements on copy protection. No way.
    Telstar, Feb 24, 2008
  4. Guest

    Robo-man Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > If I were Toshiba, I would be pissed.
    > Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
    > DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.
    >

    > That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.
    >
    > or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
    > so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.
    >

    > I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
    > been different.
    >
    > Yeah, I am pissed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
    > plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.
    >
    > I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD

    You should have done your 'Homework' better.

    Also Toshiba was ready to throw in the towel back in '2005' but 'Micro$oft'
    jumped in and kept the format war going for another THREE F***ING YEARS.

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa152.html#rd
    Robo-man, Feb 24, 2008
  5. Guest

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, <> wrote:
    >If I were Toshiba, I would be pissed.
    >Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
    >DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.

    Toshiba doesnt have the legal right to give away other peoples legal
    works!!!!!

    >That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.
    >
    >or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
    >so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.
    >

    >I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
    >been different.
    >
    >Yeah, I am pissed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
    >plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.
    >
    >I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD

    You do know Toshiba was going to drop HDDVD back in 2005 and join up with the
    blu ray camp but Microsoft talked them out of it??????

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/02/21/lessons-from-the-death-of-hd-dvd/

    "Through 2005, Toshiba continued to struggle with HD-DVD. The components
    required to to render HD video and display Microsoft’s HDi were similar to a
    low-end PC, and cost roughly $675 just for the bill of materials. That left
    Toshiba with a major hardware loss when trying to sell the players at a $500
    consumer price target. The company was ready to drop HD-DVD that year and join
    the Blu-Ray consortium, but Microsoft pushed it to continue."
    GMAN, Feb 24, 2008
  6. Guest

    GMAN Guest

    In article <mBhwj.20587$>, "Robo-man" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> If I were Toshiba, I would be pissed.
    >> Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
    >> DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.
    >>

    >> That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.
    >>
    >> or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
    >> so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.
    >>

    >> I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
    >> been different.
    >>
    >> Yeah, I am pissed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
    >> plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.
    >>
    >> I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD

    >You should have done your 'Homework' better.
    >
    >Also Toshiba was ready to throw in the towel back in '2005' but 'Micro$oft'
    >jumped in and kept the format war going for another THREE F***ING YEARS.
    >
    >http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa152.html#rd

    Heres more to backup Robo-man's post

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/02/21/lessons-from-the-death-of-hd-dvd/
    GMAN, Feb 24, 2008
  7. Guest

    GMAN Guest

    In article <mBhwj.20587$>, "Robo-man" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> If I were Toshiba, I would be pissed.
    >> Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
    >> DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.
    >>

    >> That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.
    >>
    >> or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
    >> so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.
    >>

    >> I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
    >> been different.
    >>
    >> Yeah, I am pissed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
    >> plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.
    >>
    >> I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD

    >You should have done your 'Homework' better.
    >
    >Also Toshiba was ready to throw in the towel back in '2005' but 'Micro$oft'
    >jumped in and kept the format war going for another THREE F***ING YEARS.
    >
    >http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa152.html#rd

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/02/21/lessons-from-the-death-of-hd-dvd/

    "The public wasn’t aware of what was going on behind the scenes because
    Microsoft worked diligently to spin a misinformation campaign that suggested
    that HD-DVD would be cheaper, more open, and deliver more content. Backers
    were fed talking points that insisted that HD-DVD discs were cheaper to
    create, that the Chinese would pump out ultra cheap players to support
    Microsoft, and that HD-DVD’s DRM was somehow easier to get around than
    Blu-Ray. This was all false.

    When charged with the reality that Microsoft is nothing more than a marketing
    organization pushing inferior technology tied to proprietary standards that
    will later be leveraged to extort higher prices, the company responds with a
    smoke screen that declares that its products will be first-to-market and
    supported by lowballing Chinese manufacturers. At the same time however,
    Microsoft has only ever delivered late, inferior products that have a higher
    total cost of ownership. Its supporters have worked hard to bury this reality
    even as Microsoft continues to raise prices on poor products that have limited
    competition, such as Windows Vista."
    GMAN, Feb 24, 2008
  8. Guest

    Robo-man Guest

    > http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/02/21/lessons-from-the-death-of-hd-dvd/
    >
    > "The public wasn't aware of what was going on behind the scenes because
    > Microsoft worked diligently to spin a misinformation campaign that
    > suggested
    > that HD-DVD would be cheaper, more open, and deliver more content. Backers
    > were fed talking points that insisted that HD-DVD discs were cheaper to
    > create, that the Chinese would pump out ultra cheap players to support
    > Microsoft, and that HD-DVD's DRM was somehow easier to get around than
    > Blu-Ray. This was all false.
    >
    > When charged with the reality that Microsoft is nothing more than a
    > marketing
    > organization pushing inferior technology tied to proprietary standards
    > that
    > will later be leveraged to extort higher prices, the company responds with
    > smoke screen that declares that its products will be first-to-market and
    > supported by lowballing Chinese manufacturers. At the same time however,
    > Microsoft has only ever delivered late, inferior products that have a
    > higher
    > total cost of ownership. Its supporters have worked hard to bury this
    > reality
    > even as Microsoft continues to raise prices on poor products that have
    > limited
    > competition, such as Windows Vista."

    You know. Apple Computer should make one of their cute little PC vs Mac
    comercials regarding this colossal HD-DVD failure.
    Man it would be a hoot.
    Robo-man, Feb 24, 2008
  9. Robo-man wrote:
    >>http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/02/21/lessons-from-the-death-of-hd-dvd/
    >>
    >>"The public wasn't aware of what was going on behind the scenes because
    >>Microsoft worked diligently to spin a misinformation campaign that
    >>suggested
    >>that HD-DVD would be cheaper, more open, and deliver more content. Backers
    >>were fed talking points that insisted that HD-DVD discs were cheaper to
    >>create, that the Chinese would pump out ultra cheap players to support
    >>Microsoft, and that HD-DVD's DRM was somehow easier to get around than
    >>Blu-Ray. This was all false.
    >>
    >>When charged with the reality that Microsoft is nothing more than a
    >>marketing
    >>organization pushing inferior technology tied to proprietary standards
    >>that
    >>will later be leveraged to extort higher prices, the company responds with
    >>smoke screen that declares that its products will be first-to-market and
    >>supported by lowballing Chinese manufacturers. At the same time however,
    >>Microsoft has only ever delivered late, inferior products that have a
    >>higher
    >>total cost of ownership. Its supporters have worked hard to bury this reality
    >>even as Microsoft continues to raise prices on poor products that have
    >>limited competition, such as Windows Vista."

    > You know. Apple Computer should make one of their cute little PC vs Mac
    > comercials regarding this colossal HD-DVD failure.
    > Man it would be a hoot.

    Well--for similar MS/Universal reasons--it *was* Apple pushing Disney
    into being the New Evangelist for Blu-Ray...
    Don't think they like anyone spotting the connections, though.

    Derek Janssen (and besides, there's enough laughs in Vista jokes as it is)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 24, 2008
  10. Guest

    Robo-man Guest

    > Well--for similar MS/Universal reasons--it *was* Apple pushing Disney into
    > being the New Evangelist for Blu-Ray...
    > Don't think they like anyone spotting the connections, though.

    Interesting.

    (and besides, there's enough laughs in Vista jokes as it is)
    I have to disagree with that. LOL
    Robo-man, Feb 24, 2008
  11. Robo-man wrote:

    >>Well--for similar MS/Universal reasons--it *was* Apple pushing Disney into
    >>being the New Evangelist for Blu-Ray...
    >>Don't think they like anyone spotting the connections, though.

    > Interesting.

    Steve Jobs is the major 51% Disney shareholder, and Blu-ray had the
    compatible non-Windows Java and the QuickTime-compatible MPEG4 codec to
    root for, as long as the war was going to be about "monopolies"...
    It's nice to have a Mouse in your pocket.

    >> (and besides, there's enough laughs in Vista jokes as it is)

    > I have to disagree with that. LOL

    Oh, come on--I mean, you've got
    http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac/apple-getamac-chooseavista_480x376.mov
    for a *start*... :)

    (Let alone
    http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac/apple-getamac-partyisover_480x376.mov
    or
    http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac_ads4/prlady_480x376.mov .)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 24, 2008
  12. Guest

    Sam Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, <>
    > wrote:
    >>If I were Toshiba, I would be pissed.
    >>Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
    >>DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.
    >>

    > Toshiba doesnt have the legal right to give away other peoples legal
    > works!!!!!
    >

    >>That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.
    >>
    >>or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
    >>so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.
    >>

    >>I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
    >>been different.
    >>
    >>Yeah, I am pissed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
    >>plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.
    >>
    >>I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD

    > You do know Toshiba was going to drop HDDVD back in 2005 and join up with
    > the
    > blu ray camp but Microsoft talked them out of it??????
    >

    > http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/02/21/lessons-from-the-death-of-hd-dvd/

    That article is alot of FUD and BS
    Sam, Feb 25, 2008
  13. Guest

    GMAN Guest

    In article <ulywj.83001$FA.31510@pd7urf2no>, "Sam" <> wrote:

    >"GMAN" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>If I were Toshiba, I would be pissed.
    >>>Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
    >>>DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.
    >>>

    >> Toshiba doesnt have the legal right to give away other peoples legal
    >> works!!!!!
    >>

    >>>That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.
    >>>
    >>>or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
    >>>so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.
    >>>

    >>>I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
    >>>been different.
    >>>
    >>>Yeah, I am pissed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
    >>>plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.
    >>>
    >>>I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD

    >> You do know Toshiba was going to drop HDDVD back in 2005 and join up with
    >> the
    >> blu ray camp but Microsoft talked them out of it??????
    >>

    >> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/02/21/lessons-from-the-death-of-hd-dvd/
    >>

    >That article is alot of FUD and BS

    Tell us which parts are FUD and BS?
    GMAN, Feb 26, 2008