    I'm thinking of buying a used copy of Windows XP from a reseller. What
    keys must I be supplied. Is just the key on the software envelope enough?
    , Jun 9, 2007

  2. Re: If I purchase used copy of XP OS, what keys must I be suppliedwith?

    wrote:
    > I'm thinking of buying a used copy of Windows XP from a reseller. What
    > keys must I be supplied. Is just the key on the software envelope enough?

    There's usually a key taped to the COA (certificate of authenticity)
    which strongly resembles a skeleton key. If you push it really hard into
    your floppy drive bay and turn to the right (DO NOT try to turn to the
    left) it will unlock Windows. If you have any problems, Microsoft is
    always happy to help you.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 9, 2007

  3. MaryL Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking of buying a used copy of Windows XP from a reseller. What
    > keys must I be supplied. Is just the key on the software envelope enough?

    Someone else on here will be able to supply more detailed information.
    However, I would be leery of buying a used copy. XP has to be registered
    online with Microsoft. There are only a limited number of days when it will
    function before doing so -- it has been several years since I bought mine,
    but it seems like it was 14 or maybe 30 days. If yours has been used, then
    someone else probably registered it, and my understanding is that the system
    will "recognize" that you are using a different computer and possibly reject
    it.

    MaryL
    MaryL, Jun 9, 2007
  4. Re: If I purchase used copy of XP OS, what keys must I be suppliedwith?

    MaryL wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm thinking of buying a used copy of Windows XP from a reseller. What
    >>keys must I be supplied. Is just the key on the software envelope enough?

    > Someone else on here will be able to supply more detailed information.
    > However, I would be leery of buying a used copy. XP has to be registered
    > online with Microsoft. There are only a limited number of days when it will
    > function before doing so -- it has been several years since I bought mine,
    > but it seems like it was 14 or maybe 30 days. If yours has been used, then
    > someone else probably registered it, and my understanding is that the system
    > will "recognize" that you are using a different computer and possibly reject
    > it.

    Damn, you're nice. Do you fool around?
    --
    Don't tell Mara
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 9, 2007
  5. old man Guest

    You simply need to check that the reseller has removed winxp or scrapped the
    origonal PC - hopefully you get the truth
    NB You also have to ensure its not an OEM copy

    old man, Jun 9, 2007
  6. Mara Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 10:58:10 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >MaryL wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I'm thinking of buying a used copy of Windows XP from a reseller. What
    >>>keys must I be supplied. Is just the key on the software envelope enough?

    >> Someone else on here will be able to supply more detailed information.
    >> However, I would be leery of buying a used copy. XP has to be registered
    >> online with Microsoft. There are only a limited number of days when it will
    >> function before doing so -- it has been several years since I bought mine,
    >> but it seems like it was 14 or maybe 30 days. If yours has been used, then
    >> someone else probably registered it, and my understanding is that the system
    >> will "recognize" that you are using a different computer and possibly reject
    >> it.

    >Damn, you're nice. Do you fool around?

    HA! Caught you!

    From this point on, I'm going to refer to you as "Butthead," you scoundrel.

    --
    God grant me the senility to forget the people that I never
    liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones that I do,
    Mara, Jun 9, 2007
  7. Guest

    Re: If I purchase used copy of XP OS, what keys must I be supplied with? - buy new then?

    Thanks for the replies. Any chance that there will be a push to sell all
    new copies left of XP by retailers with rebates in order to clear the
    shelves? What happens to the old OS software when MS releases a new
    system?
    , Jun 9, 2007
  8. Guest

    wrote:

    >Thanks for the replies. Any chance that there will be a push to sell all
    >new copies left of XP by retailers with rebates in order to clear the
    >shelves?

    Vista isn't doing that well, there is still a strong market for XP.

    >What happens to the old OS software when MS releases a new
    >system?

    After MS stops providing support, it's pretty much abandonware
    http://downloads.ww.zimmy.ca/index.php?dir=Operating Systems/

    --

    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/tsgtv/
    , Jun 9, 2007
  9. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >I'm thinking of buying a used copy of Windows XP from a reseller. What
    >keys must I be supplied. Is just the key on the software envelope enough?

    Only retail versions of Windows XP can be legitimately resold. A
    retail version comes in a green (Home) or blue (Pro) Microsoft box.
    Media Center and Tablet PC editions of Windows XP are not available in
    retail versions.

    OEM versions of Windows XP are permanently tied to the first computer
    that they are installed on and cannot be legitimately resold except as
    a package deal that also includes the computer. The CD for an OEM
    version will either have the name & logo of a computer manufacturer on
    it or will have the words "for sale or distribution only with a new
    computer system" on it (or both).

    For a used retail version you need an assurance, preferably in
    writing, from the seller that the license has been removed from the
    previous computer or the computer was scrapped or destroyed.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Jun 9, 2007
  10. GHalleck Guest

    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks for the replies. Any chance that there will be a push to sell all
    >>new copies left of XP by retailers with rebates in order to clear the
    >>shelves?

    > Vista isn't doing that well, there is still a strong market for XP.
    >

    >>What happens to the old OS software when MS releases a new
    >>system?

    > After MS stops providing support, it's pretty much abandonware
    > http://downloads.ww.zimmy.ca/index.php?dir=Operating Systems/
    >

    > --

    Not quite legally correct. Microsoft will not "abandon" its copyrights
    to Windows XP any more than it has to Windows 1.0 or even MS-DOS. In
    this context, Microsoft remains the owner and will continue to dictate
    how its "property" can be used and is been known to prosecute vigorously
    in protecting its rights.
    GHalleck, Jun 9, 2007
  11. Guest

    GHalleck <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thanks for the replies. Any chance that there will be a push to sell all
    >>>new copies left of XP by retailers with rebates in order to clear the
    >>>shelves?

    >> Vista isn't doing that well, there is still a strong market for XP.

    >>>What happens to the old OS software when MS releases a new
    >>>system?

    >> After MS stops providing support, it's pretty much abandonware
    >> http://downloads.ww.zimmy.ca/index.php?dir=Operating Systems/

    >Not quite legally correct. Microsoft will not "abandon" its copyrights
    >to Windows XP any more than it has to Windows 1.0 or even MS-DOS. In
    >this context, Microsoft remains the owner and will continue to dictate
    >how its "property" can be used and is been known to prosecute vigorously
    >in protecting its rights.

    Your taking Abandonware too literally.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

    But I get some good games that way
    http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php

  12. MaryL Guest

    "GHalleck" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thanks for the replies. Any chance that there will be a push to sell all
    >>>new copies left of XP by retailers with rebates in order to clear the
    >>>shelves?

    >> Vista isn't doing that well, there is still a strong market for XP.
    >>

    >>>What happens to the old OS software when MS releases a new system?

    >> After MS stops providing support, it's pretty much abandonware
    >> http://downloads.ww.zimmy.ca/index.php?dir=Operating Systems/
    >>

    >> --

    > Not quite legally correct. Microsoft will not "abandon" its copyrights
    > to Windows XP any more than it has to Windows 1.0 or even MS-DOS. In
    > this context, Microsoft remains the owner and will continue to dictate
    > how its "property" can be used and is been known to prosecute vigorously
    > in protecting its rights.

    Yes, MS still vigorously claims its property rights -- it simply drops any
    semblance of support after a certain period of time.

    MaryL
    MaryL, Jun 10, 2007
  13. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm thinking of buying a used copy of Windows XP from a reseller. What
    > keys must I be supplied. Is just the key on the software envelope enough?

    NOT recommended. As, you have no idea how many times it's been sold
    before, and MS will invalidate the PW/KEY if too many copies of it are
    out it the wild. So, you wont be able to get updates when you need them.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 10, 2007
  14. Star@*.* Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 19:52:41 GMT, Ron Martell <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm thinking of buying a used copy of Windows XP from a reseller. What
    >>keys must I be supplied. Is just the key on the software envelope enough?

    >Only retail versions of Windows XP can be legitimately resold. A
    >retail version comes in a green (Home) or blue (Pro) Microsoft box.
    >Media Center and Tablet PC editions of Windows XP are not available in
    >retail versions.
    >
    >OEM versions of Windows XP are permanently tied to the first computer
    >that they are installed on and cannot be legitimately resold except as
    >a package deal that also includes the computer. The CD for an OEM
    >version will either have the name & logo of a computer manufacturer on
    >it or will have the words "for sale or distribution only with a new
    >computer system" on it (or both).

    Ron you really need to go to the Microsoft site and read up on OEM as
    to what is required of the seller for the OEM version of Windows. The
    rules changed about a 1.5 to 2 years ago.
    Have you ever went to a site like Newegg and seen that they sell OEM
    versions of windows and their is no requirement for a hardware
    purchase much less a computer.

    Star@*.*, Jun 10, 2007
  15. Guest

    , Jun 10, 2007
  16. Guest

    wrote:

    > wrote in news:85sl63h7qknhlek8352jkiimp5bh2i7ng4@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> http://downloads.ww.zimmy.ca/index.php?dir=Operating Systems/

    >Thanks. Are those clean OS (free of spyware and viruses?)

    Safe Hex, but these are old retail versions, as they were first
    released; If I ever lose my Win98se CD, I know where to download a
    replacement. (no, no malware)

    >http://downloads.ww.zimmy.ca/index.php?dir=Operating Systems/DOS/
    >
    >I've been looking to install a version of DOS for a dual boot.
    >
    >What's PC-Dos 2000?

    Download it and read the PDF, but it's IBM PC-DOS. Novel Dos isn't
    listed and I really like that one.

    Rather than dual boot dos, you can run DosBox, I use it for the games
    that require DOS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

    --

    Commander Keen
    http://www.glenrhodes.com/flashkeen/
  17. Ron Martell Guest

    Star@*.* wrote:

    >Ron you really need to go to the Microsoft site and read up on OEM as
    >to what is required of the seller for the OEM version of Windows. The
    >rules changed about a 1.5 to 2 years ago.

    I stand by my commnets - OEM versions are permanently locked to the
    first computer they are ***installed*** on. Not sold with -
    installed on.

    >Have you ever went to a site like Newegg and seen that they sell OEM
    >versions of windows and their is no requirement for a hardware
    >purchase much less a computer.

    Yes, and once that license is installed onto a computer it is
    permanently locked to that computer and cannot be legitimately
    transferred to another computer under any circumstances. Period.

    The original question was with regard to a "used" version of Windows,
    clearly indicating that the license had previously been used and
    therefore installed as it is physically impossible to use a software
    license without first installing.

    Ron Martell, Jun 10, 2007