    Can they force you to lose the weight like that fat guy in Full Metal
    Jacket?
    , Jun 4, 2005

  2. Gideon Guest

    Steve wrote:
    Can they force you to lose the weight like that fat
    guy in Full Metal Jacket?

    ===========

    Once you are actually in the military: Yes, they can do quite a bit to
    encourage you to lose weight and get in shape. They can make your
    life a living hell.

    However, nobody can stop you from gaining 300 pounds to avoid the
    draft. They can't force you to lose weight to meet draft requirements.
    And they can't draft you with the intention of making you lose the
    weight after you are in.

    My cousin did the opposite during the Vietnam War - he was already
    thin and he dropped quite a few pound in order to be below minimum
    weight for his height (about 6' 2"). He was required to go through the
    process every 6 months - basically going through the pre-induction
    physical twice a year.

    It's been 40 years, but I still refuse to talk to that cowardly little maggot.
    Gideon, Jun 4, 2005

  3. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Can they force you to lose the weight like that fat guy in Full Metal
    > Jacket?

    NO. There IS NO DRAFT!

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jun 4, 2005
  4. Neil Ellwood Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Can they force you to lose the weight like that fat guy in Full
    >> Metal Jacket?
    >>

    > NO. There IS NO DRAFT!

    There is - shut the window.
    --
    neil
    delete delete to reply
    Neil Ellwood, Jun 4, 2005
  5. Trapezium Guest

    "Gideon" <> wrote in message
    > Steve wrote:
    > Can they force you to lose the weight like that fat
    > guy in Full Metal Jacket?
    >
    > ===========
    >
    > Once you are actually in the military: Yes, they can do quite a bit to
    > encourage you to lose weight and get in shape. They can make your
    > life a living hell.
    >
    > However, nobody can stop you from gaining 300 pounds to avoid the
    > draft. They can't force you to lose weight to meet draft requirements.
    > And they can't draft you with the intention of making you lose the
    > weight after you are in.
    >
    > My cousin did the opposite during the Vietnam War - he was already
    > thin and he dropped quite a few pound in order to be below minimum
    > weight for his height (about 6' 2"). He was required to go through the
    > process every 6 months - basically going through the pre-induction
    > physical twice a year.
    >
    > It's been 40 years, but I still refuse to talk to that cowardly little
    > maggot<

    From your Cousin's point of view it hardly matters, since he also wouldn't
    have heard from you if he was buried somewhere in Vietnam.

    I heard Jane Fonda on UK radio yesterday - and, if you take the time to
    listen to the woman, she's really quite sensible.

    She pointed out Nixon's plan to drown tens (possibly hundreds) of thousands
    of Vietnamese civilians by bombing the dykes that held back floodwaters.

    The 'Gung-Ho' glory of war is all very well - but many young men are forced
    to grow old and face eternity burdened by the terrible crimes they committed
    to please politicians and generals.

    Let them commit their own murders, if that's what they want - your soul is
    too precious to lose on their behalf.
    Trapezium, Jun 4, 2005
  6. Doug Robbins Guest

    WTF does this have to do with digital photography? Stop crossposting.

    Doug Robbins, Jun 4, 2005
  7. redc1c4 Guest

    Trapezium wrote:

    (mercy snipage occurs)

    > I heard Jane Fonda on UK radio yesterday - and, if you take the time to
    > listen to the woman, she's really quite sensible.

    then *YOU* keep the bitch.

    'nuff said.

    redc1c4,
    pointing out the obvious to the oblivious.
    --
    "Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
    considerable watching."

    Army Officer's Guide
    redc1c4, Jun 4, 2005
  8. I don't think there is a need for a draft... currently the military
    wants GOOD quality professional operators. Especially in this "terror"
    war, Special Ops teams are the best bet to combat highly intelligent
    and resourceful militant groups.

    This is not a slaughterhouse military operation like Vietnam. Of course
    mamy many thousands died in Vietnam for no good cause. Invading Vietnam
    does not make America any more "free". The neo-cons of course love war,
    they profit off of it. The true patriots in this country believe in a
    more isolationist approach.

    A neo-con is someone who calls himself a patriot and believes you must
    agree with everything the government does to be "patriotic" That is
    like driving the cattle to the slaughter folks.
    STATE MILITIA, Jun 4, 2005
  9. rafe bustin Guest

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 03:23:39 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Can they force you to lose the weight like that fat guy in Full Metal
    >> Jacket?
    >>

    >NO. There IS NO DRAFT!

    Yet. But something's got to give.
    Nobody's volunteering these days.
    Jeez, I wonder why...

    Be the first one on your block to
    have your boy come home in a box.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafe bustin, Jun 4, 2005
  10. STATE MILITIA wrote:
    > I don't think there is a need for a draft... currently the military
    > wants GOOD quality professional operators. Especially in this "terror"
    > war, Special Ops teams are the best bet to combat highly intelligent
    > and resourceful militant groups.
    >
    > This is not a slaughterhouse military operation like Vietnam. Of course
    > mamy many thousands died in Vietnam for no good cause. Invading Vietnam
    > does not make America any more "free". The neo-cons of course love war,
    > they profit off of it. The true patriots in this country believe in a
    > more isolationist approach.
    >
    > A neo-con is someone who calls himself a patriot and believes you must
    > agree with everything the government does to be "patriotic" That is
    > like driving the cattle to the slaughter folks.

    I hate to break it to you but there was a talk given at a seminar on the
    directions of the new army in the 21st century given at the American
    Enterprise Institute in February of this year.

    In a talk given by a Maj General in charge of force development, and a
    another speech by a special Operations Brigade commander in which the
    central theme was that the best and most efficient soldiers, given the
    complexity of modern warfare are those between 28 and 32 years old.

    The days of Audie Murphy grabbing a machine gun on the top of a burning
    tank to engage the enemy single handed are over. Modern warfare now
    relies on the maturity of the front line soldier to properly analyze the
    situation, select and prioritize the targets, employ the best weapon and
    most efficient weapon for each particular target, and to pick the most
    efficient and effective solution among a set of possible solutions.

    The upshot is that the military is going to have to be more selective
    and not less. The military is going to have to select it's people early
    and send them through the best schools, including graduate and post grad
    degrees at our best Universities before they become privates.

    In order to do this we are going to have to pay our people well with
    privates making what Jr. partners at law firms and accounting firms
    make. (Initially $100,000 +) and Generals will have to be paid more
    than most CEO's. Of course Generals will be expected to have their Ph
    d's in more than one discipline.

    The day is going to come when Harvard, Yale, MIT, Columbia, Cal Tech,
    Stanford, Berkley and others, will have to accept the candidates of the
    Military or lose their government contracts, grants, funding and their
    tax exempt status just to stay in business.

    --
    He who establishes a tyranny and does not kill Brutus,
    and he who establishes a democratic regime and does not kill

    Niccolo Machiavelli
    Pope Secola VI, Jun 4, 2005
  11. Frank White Guest

    In article <F7coe.22528$>, says...

    >Steve wrote:
    >Can they force you to lose the weight like that fat
    >guy in Full Metal Jacket?
    >
    >===========
    >
    >Once you are actually in the military: Yes, they can do quite a bit to
    >encourage you to lose weight and get in shape. They can make your
    >life a living hell.
    >
    >However, nobody can stop you from gaining 300 pounds to avoid the
    >draft. They can't force you to lose weight to meet draft requirements.
    >And they can't draft you with the intention of making you lose the
    >weight after you are in.
    >
    >My cousin did the opposite during the Vietnam War - he was already
    >thin and he dropped quite a few pound in order to be below minimum
    >weight for his height (about 6' 2"). He was required to go through the
    >process every 6 months - basically going through the pre-induction
    >physical twice a year.
    >
    >It's been 40 years, but I still refuse to talk to that cowardly little maggot.

    Do I take this to mean that when Uncle Sam called, you ran to answer?

    Or were you never put to the test as he was, and are speakling on principle?

    FW
    Frank White, Jun 4, 2005
  12. Frank White Guest

    In article <>, says...

    <space saving snip>

    >I heard Jane Fonda on UK radio yesterday - and, if you take the time to
    >listen to the woman, she's really quite sensible.
    >
    >She pointed out Nixon's plan to drown tens (possibly hundreds) of thousands
    >of Vietnamese civilians by bombing the dykes that held back floodwaters.

    A lot of La Fonda's views on Vietnam, then and now, make sense. And
    she was not alone in her opposition to the war, many Americans of all
    stripes had similar stances.

    What made her a pariah for all eternity was the WAY she emphasized
    those views. Going to 'Nam at the invitation of the Cong. Meeting
    with captive US soldiers and babbling about how well they were being
    treated even as they were being tortured just out of her sight.
    Sitting at the sights of a VietCong anti-aircraft gun so pictures
    could be taken and flashed all around the world...

    She was a stupid, callow child of priviledge back then, and she's
    a stupid, callow matriarch of priviledge now. Talented actress,
    beautiful woman, but my God, what a fool.

    :(

    FW
    Frank White, Jun 4, 2005
  13. Stephanie Guest

    "Pope Secola VI" <> wrote in message
    > STATE MILITIA wrote:
    >> I don't think there is a need for a draft... currently the military
    >> wants GOOD quality professional operators. Especially in this "terror"
    >> war, Special Ops teams are the best bet to combat highly intelligent
    >> and resourceful militant groups.
    >>
    >> This is not a slaughterhouse military operation like Vietnam. Of course
    >> mamy many thousands died in Vietnam for no good cause. Invading Vietnam
    >> does not make America any more "free". The neo-cons of course love war,
    >> they profit off of it. The true patriots in this country believe in a
    >> more isolationist approach.
    >>
    >> A neo-con is someone who calls himself a patriot and believes you must
    >> agree with everything the government does to be "patriotic" That is
    >> like driving the cattle to the slaughter folks.
    >>

    > I hate to break it to you but there was a talk given at a seminar on the
    > directions of the new army in the 21st century given at the American
    > Enterprise Institute in February of this year.
    >
    > In a talk given by a Maj General in charge of force development, and a
    > another speech by a special Operations Brigade commander in which the
    > central theme was that the best and most efficient soldiers, given the
    > complexity of modern warfare are those between 28 and 32 years old.
    >
    > The days of Audie Murphy grabbing a machine gun on the top of a burning
    > tank to engage the enemy single handed are over. Modern warfare now
    > relies on the maturity of the front line soldier to properly analyze the
    > situation, select and prioritize the targets, employ the best weapon and
    > most efficient weapon for each particular target, and to pick the most
    > efficient and effective solution among a set of possible solutions.
    >
    > The upshot is that the military is going to have to be more selective and
    > not less. The military is going to have to select it's people early and
    > send them through the best schools, including graduate and post grad
    > degrees at our best Universities before they become privates.
    >
    > In order to do this we are going to have to pay our people well with
    > privates making what Jr. partners at law firms and accounting firms make.
    > (Initially $100,000 +) and Generals will have to be paid more than most
    > CEO's. Of course Generals will be expected to have their Ph d's in more
    > than one discipline.
    >
    > The day is going to come when Harvard, Yale, MIT, Columbia, Cal Tech,
    > Stanford, Berkley and others, will have to accept the candidates of the
    > Military or lose their government contracts, grants, funding and their tax
    > exempt status just to stay in business.

    Holy Father,
    We have legions of high school graduates who cannot name the four
    oceans.
    We have multitudes of college graduates who cannot add two fractions.
    I know of an instance in which a newly graduated electrical engineer
    went to work on the first day of his first job (the engineering firm
    recruited him based on his high grades) and he needed a crash course on
    reading electrical blueprints.
    If the Pentagon wants to field a truly educated military, it may need
    to hire a corps of ruler-wielding Catholic nuns to whip recruits into shape
    during the first few weeks of basic, before handing them over to the DI's.
    We're a nation of mental couch potatos.
    Stephanie, Jun 4, 2005
  14. dre Guest

    > We have legions of high school graduates who cannot name the four
    > oceans.
    > We have multitudes of college graduates who cannot add two fractions.
    > I know of an instance in which a newly graduated electrical engineer
    > went to work on the first day of his first job (the engineering firm
    > recruited him based on his high grades) and he needed a crash course on
    > reading electrical blueprints.
    > If the Pentagon wants to field a truly educated military, it may need
    > to hire a corps of ruler-wielding Catholic nuns to whip recruits into

    shape
    > during the first few weeks of basic, before handing them over to the DI's.
    > We're a nation of mental couch potatos.

    bush has the same education?oh boy....

    dre, Jun 4, 2005
  15. Marvin Guest

    wrote:
    > Can they force you to lose the weight like that fat guy in Full Metal
    > Jacket?

    There is no draft, at least now. Stop obsessing and keep up with what is happening.
    Marvin, Jun 4, 2005
  16. Guest

    One of my profs in college actually got himself out of the draft during
    Nam this way; he ate nothing but "country ham" (a very-salty Southern
    ham) for the three weeks prior to his draft physical. Not
    surprisingly, he had high blood pressure - and was declared 4-F (unfit
    for service).
    Why should YOU - or your kid - comply with any possible draft when
    JENNA won't be going to the front in Iraq with you?

    Save on gas! Shop the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW
    , Jun 4, 2005
  17. HawkCW4 Guest

    Trapezium wrote:
    > "Gideon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Steve wrote:
    >>Can they force you to lose the weight like that fat
    >>guy in Full Metal Jacket?
    >>
    >>===========
    >>
    >>Once you are actually in the military: Yes, they can do quite a bit to
    >>encourage you to lose weight and get in shape. They can make your
    >>life a living hell.
    >>
    >>However, nobody can stop you from gaining 300 pounds to avoid the
    >>draft. They can't force you to lose weight to meet draft requirements.
    >>And they can't draft you with the intention of making you lose the
    >>weight after you are in.
    >>
    >>My cousin did the opposite during the Vietnam War - he was already
    >>thin and he dropped quite a few pound in order to be below minimum
    >>weight for his height (about 6' 2"). He was required to go through the
    >>process every 6 months - basically going through the pre-induction
    >>physical twice a year.
    >>
    >>It's been 40 years, but I still refuse to talk to that cowardly little
    >>maggot<

    > From your Cousin's point of view it hardly matters, since he also wouldn't
    > have heard from you if he was buried somewhere in Vietnam.
    >
    > I heard Jane Fonda on UK radio yesterday - and, if you take the time to
    > listen to the woman, she's really quite sensible.
    >
    > She pointed out Nixon's plan to drown tens (possibly hundreds) of thousands
    > of Vietnamese civilians by bombing the dykes that held back floodwaters.
    >
    > The 'Gung-Ho' glory of war is all very well - but many young men are forced
    > to grow old and face eternity burdened by the terrible crimes they committed
    > to please politicians and generals.
    >
    > Let them commit their own murders, if that's what they want - your soul is
    > too precious to lose on their behalf.

    I would be the first to agree with you regarding killing and being
    killed for ones Leaders, (Reads Country), IF you can give me an
    alternative to gaining/maintaining freedoms for that country. All I
    ever hear is the complaining about war, but no one bothers to come up
    with a way to replace it. Why is that?

    Ed
    USA Ret
    HawkCW4, Jun 4, 2005
  18. Impact Guest

    Nothing worth reading.
    Impact, Jun 4, 2005
  19. HawkCW4 Guest

    dre wrote:
    >> We have legions of high school graduates who cannot name the four
    >>oceans.
    >> We have multitudes of college graduates who cannot add two fractions.
    >> I know of an instance in which a newly graduated electrical engineer
    >>went to work on the first day of his first job (the engineering firm
    >>recruited him based on his high grades) and he needed a crash course on
    >>reading electrical blueprints.
    >> If the Pentagon wants to field a truly educated military, it may need
    >>to hire a corps of ruler-wielding Catholic nuns to whip recruits into

    > shape
    >
    >>during the first few weeks of basic, before handing them over to the DI's.
    >> We're a nation of mental couch potatos.
    >>

    > bush has the same education?oh boy....

    As does every one else in DC. oh boy......
    HawkCW4, Jun 4, 2005
  20. Impact Guest

    STATE MILITIA wrote:

    > I'd like to be drafted, that way I can be in a foxhole with other men.

    Luckily for them, they'll have plenty of ammo.
    Impact, Jun 4, 2005