If I didn't see it, I wouldn't believe it

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Lord Vader III, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. And I still have a hard time believing it.

    As reported in the Chicago Sun-Times...

    According to a "national sample of sales reports", the top 10 selling
    DVDs for December 7, 2002 - November 29, 2003 were:

    1. "Finding Nemo"
    2. "Ice Age"
    3. "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"
    4. "Lilo & Stitch"
    5. "The Lion King (Platinum Edition)"
    6. "Star Wars Episode II (Widescreen Edition)"
    7. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Pan & Scan Edition)"
    8. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Widescreen Edition)"
    9. "Signs (Widescreen Edition)"
    10. "Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (Pan & Scan Edition)"

    I can understand the P&S Harry Potter outselling the Widescreen because
    more children want it that way but the P&S Two Towers outsold the
    Widescreen?!? You've got to be kidding me!

    LVIII

    Lord Vader III, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Lord Vader III

    Justin Guest

    Lord Vader III wrote on [9 Jan 2004 07:09:22 -0600]:
    > And I still have a hard time believing it.
    >
    > As reported in the Chicago Sun-Times...
    >
    > According to a "national sample of sales reports", the top 10 selling
    > DVDs for December 7, 2002 - November 29, 2003 were:
    >
    > 1. "Finding Nemo"
    > 2. "Ice Age"
    > 3. "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"
    > 4. "Lilo & Stitch"
    > 5. "The Lion King (Platinum Edition)"
    > 6. "Star Wars Episode II (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 7. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Pan & Scan Edition)"
    > 8. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 9. "Signs (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 10. "Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (Pan & Scan Edition)"
    >
    > I can understand the P&S Harry Potter outselling the Widescreen because
    > more children want it that way but the P&S Two Towers outsold the
    > Widescreen?!? You've got to be kidding me!

    So, wonder where you can find the actual numbers here

    Justin, Jan 9, 2004

  3. Lord Vader III

    Cernovog Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 8:09:22 -0500, Lord Vader III wrote
    (in message <>):

    > I can understand the P&S Harry Potter outselling the Widescreen because
    > more children want it that way but the P&S Two Towers outsold the
    > Widescreen?!? You've got to be kidding me!

    One likely explanation is that the widescreen enthusiasts are more apt to
    pass on the theaterical version of the movie and buy the extended edition.

    I would guess that the bulk of extended edition purchasers are widescreen
    enthusiasts complemented by a fair number of grumbling pan and scan lovers.

    Cernovog, Jan 9, 2004
  4. Lord Vader III

    Jay G Guest

    Lord Vader III <> wrote:
    > As reported in the Chicago Sun-Times...
    >
    > According to a "national sample of sales reports", the top 10 selling
    > DVDs for December 7, 2002 - November 29, 2003 were:
    >
    > 6. "Star Wars Episode II (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 7. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Pan & Scan Edition)"
    > 8. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Widescreen Edition)"
    >
    > I can understand the P&S Harry Potter outselling the Widescreen
    > because more children want it that way but the P&S Two Towers outsold
    > the Widescreen?!? You've got to be kidding me!

    The purchasers of TTT on WS is somewhat split between those who
    bought only the EE and those who only bought the theatrical (there
    is some overlap of people who bought *both* though).

    What's interesting is that, while WS and 4:3 versions of TTT are
    right next to each other, the 4:3 version of SW: Ep2 isn't even
    on the charts, which means the WS version sold far more.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Lord Vader III

    Justin Guest

    Jay G wrote on [Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:14:37 -0600]:
    > Lord Vader III <> wrote:
    >> As reported in the Chicago Sun-Times...
    >>
    >> According to a "national sample of sales reports", the top 10 selling
    >> DVDs for December 7, 2002 - November 29, 2003 were:
    >>
    >> 6. "Star Wars Episode II (Widescreen Edition)"
    >> 7. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Pan & Scan Edition)"
    >> 8. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Widescreen Edition)"
    >>
    >> I can understand the P&S Harry Potter outselling the Widescreen
    >> because more children want it that way but the P&S Two Towers outsold
    >> the Widescreen?!? You've got to be kidding me!

    > The purchasers of TTT on WS is somewhat split between those who
    > bought only the EE and those who only bought the theatrical (there
    > is some overlap of people who bought *both* though).

    Yes. I can be counted in the *both* camp. There's just no other way to
    get the theatrial cut...plus it helps keep the jones down.

    > What's interesting is that, while WS and 4:3 versions of TTT are
    > right next to each other, the 4:3 version of SW: Ep2 isn't even
    > on the charts, which means the WS version sold far more.

    Yes! That is indeed very interesting, you'd think people that bought
    that wouldn't know the difference, I mean. The new star wars movies are
    no Star Wars movies.

    Justin, Jan 9, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    Cernovog <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 8:09:22 -0500, Lord Vader III wrote
    >(in message <>):
    >
    >> I can understand the P&S Harry Potter outselling the Widescreen because
    >> more children want it that way but the P&S Two Towers outsold the
    >> Widescreen?!? You've got to be kidding me!

    >One likely explanation is that the widescreen enthusiasts are more apt to
    >pass on the theaterical version of the movie and buy the extended edition.
    >
    >I would guess that the bulk of extended edition purchasers are widescreen
    >enthusiasts complemented by a fair number of grumbling pan and scan lovers.

    Another likely explanation is that this is three weeks before Christmas
    and the Full Frame version was very prevalent at WalMart when Aunt Telulah
    was buying little Timmy's present.

    The fact that Timmy cursed her when her back was turned because half of the
    city of Osgiliath was cut off in the DVD she bought him is typically not
    reported in the video business mags...

    (See The Onion, from a couple weeks back)

    --
    Aaron Brezenski
    Not speaking for my employer in any way.

    Aaron P Brezenski, Jan 9, 2004
  7. Lord Vader III

    jayembee Guest

    Lord Vader III <> wrote:

    > I can understand the P&S Harry Potter outselling the
    > Widescreen because more children want it that way [...]

    Anecdotal evidence suggests that children either don't care,
    or prefer widescreen. It seems to be the *parents* of the
    children who prefer pan-&-scan.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jan 10, 2004
  8. Lord Vader III

    lugnut Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 21:16:07 +0000 (UTC),
    (Aaron P Brezenski) wrote:

    >Another likely explanation is that this is three weeks before Christmas
    >and the Full Frame version was very prevalent at WalMart when Aunt Telulah
    >was buying little Timmy's present.

    Speaking of which, I was at Wal-Mart right before Xmas when the lady
    in front of me was purchasing a widescreen copy of Two Towers. When
    she got to the counter, the checker quickly said "Oh no, you don't
    want this one, it's only half the screen." and then went to find a FS
    copy for her. The temptation to say something was overpowering, but I
    kept my mouth shut.

    -lugnut

    lugnut, Jan 10, 2004
  9. lugnut wrote:
    > Speaking of which, I was at Wal-Mart right before Xmas when the lady
    > in front of me was purchasing a widescreen copy of Two Towers. When
    > she got to the counter, the checker quickly said "Oh no, you don't
    > want this one, it's only half the screen." and then went to find a FS
    > copy for her. The temptation to say something was overpowering, but I
    > kept my mouth shut.
    >
    > -lugnut

    I think I would have lost it.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jan 10, 2004
  10. > Speaking of which, I was at Wal-Mart right before Xmas when the lady
    > in front of me was purchasing a widescreen copy of Two Towers. When
    > she got to the counter, the checker quickly said "Oh no, you don't
    > want this one, it's only half the screen." and then went to find a FS
    > copy for her. The temptation to say something was overpowering, but I
    > kept my mouth shut.

    Why not? The cashier had no problem with interjecting her opinion, why
    should you?

    Not that I'm trying to challenge you. :) I just would have countered
    the remark rather than let it sit.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Jan 11, 2004
  11. Lord Vader III

    Mark B. Guest

    "lugnut" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 21:16:07 +0000 (UTC),
    > (Aaron P Brezenski) wrote:
    >

    > >Another likely explanation is that this is three weeks before Christmas
    > >and the Full Frame version was very prevalent at WalMart when Aunt

    Telulah
    > >was buying little Timmy's present.

    > Speaking of which, I was at Wal-Mart right before Xmas when the lady
    > in front of me was purchasing a widescreen copy of Two Towers. When
    > she got to the counter, the checker quickly said "Oh no, you don't
    > want this one, it's only half the screen." and then went to find a FS
    > copy for her. The temptation to say something was overpowering, but I
    > kept my mouth shut.
    >
    > -lugnut

    I would just love it if a cashier tried to tell me that.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 11, 2004
  12. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU lugnut
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
    Pink?"
    > Speaking of which, I was at Wal-Mart right before Xmas when the lady
    > in front of me was purchasing a widescreen copy of Two Towers. When
    > she got to the counter, the checker quickly said "Oh no, you don't
    > want this one, it's only half the screen." and then went to find a FS
    > copy for her. The temptation to say something was overpowering, but I
    > kept my mouth shut.

    Personally I would of smacked the cashier for pure ignorance. Then
    again I never expect to find quality information at Wal-Mart on such
    things... after all, do you expect such greatness from minimum wage
    slaves?

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little
    A reminder to the world....

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Jan 11, 2004
  13. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU Lord Vader III
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
    Pink?"
    > And I still have a hard time believing it.
    >
    > As reported in the Chicago Sun-Times...
    >
    > According to a "national sample of sales reports", the top 10 selling
    > DVDs for December 7, 2002 - November 29, 2003 were:
    >
    > 1. "Finding Nemo"
    > 2. "Ice Age"
    > 3. "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"
    > 4. "Lilo & Stitch"
    > 5. "The Lion King (Platinum Edition)"
    > 6. "Star Wars Episode II (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 7. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Pan & Scan Edition)"
    > 8. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 9. "Signs (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 10. "Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (Pan & Scan Edition)"
    >
    > I can understand the P&S Harry Potter outselling the Widescreen
    > because more children want it that way but the P&S Two Towers outsold
    > the Widescreen?!? You've got to be kidding me!

    Now what I am curious about is where is this "national sample" actually
    coming from? If this "national sample" were to have been taken at my
    store then it would read a LOT differently.. personally I think that this
    list
    was compiled from stores in ghetto areas with people who either don't
    know the difference or "want my taevae filled."

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Jan 11, 2004
  14. Lord Vader III

    Smaug69 Guest

    Lord Vader III <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > And I still have a hard time believing it.
    >
    > As reported in the Chicago Sun-Times...
    >
    > According to a "national sample of sales reports", the top 10 selling
    > DVDs for December 7, 2002 - November 29, 2003 were:
    >
    > 1. "Finding Nemo"
    > 2. "Ice Age"
    > 3. "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"
    > 4. "Lilo & Stitch"
    > 5. "The Lion King (Platinum Edition)"
    > 6. "Star Wars Episode II (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 7. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Pan & Scan Edition)"
    > 8. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 9. "Signs (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 10. "Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (Pan & Scan Edition)"

    This is an inaccurate list. I don't have the totals for that period,
    but up to November 22nd I do know that Matrix Reloaded sold more DVDs
    than the Lion King did and yet it's not even listed. I wish I had
    access to total DVD sales lists for 2002 and 2003.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Jan 11, 2004
  15. Lord Vader III

    mzmeryze Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:20:28 -0600, "Brian \"Demolition Man\" Little"
    <> wrote:

    >From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU lugnut
    ><>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
    >Pink?"
    >> Speaking of which, I was at Wal-Mart right before Xmas when the lady
    >> in front of me was purchasing a widescreen copy of Two Towers. When
    >> she got to the counter, the checker quickly said "Oh no, you don't
    >> want this one, it's only half the screen." and then went to find a FS
    >> copy for her. The temptation to say something was overpowering, but I
    >> kept my mouth shut.

    >Personally I would of smacked the cashier for pure ignorance.

    Would *have*. Not Would *of*. Just sharing.

    Thank you, Shirley.

    mzmeryze, Jan 11, 2004
  16. Lord Vader III

    stankley Guest

    Lord Vader III <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > And I still have a hard time believing it.
    >
    > As reported in the Chicago Sun-Times...
    >
    > According to a "national sample of sales reports", the top 10 selling
    > DVDs for December 7, 2002 - November 29, 2003 were:
    >
    > 1. "Finding Nemo"
    > 2. "Ice Age"
    > 3. "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"
    > 4. "Lilo & Stitch"
    > 5. "The Lion King (Platinum Edition)"
    > 6. "Star Wars Episode II (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 7. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Pan & Scan Edition)"
    > 8. "LOTR: The Two Towers (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 9. "Signs (Widescreen Edition)"
    > 10. "Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (Pan & Scan Edition)"

    Signs? Weird! A totally unexceptional movie, and one that doesn't
    lend it itself to repeat viewings. Each to their own, I guess.

    stankley, Jan 12, 2004
  17. Lord Vader III

    Chu-Chu Guest

    In article <Xns946CDF19B9959linkvb06@204.186.200.105>,
    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote:

    > > Speaking of which, I was at Wal-Mart right before Xmas when the lady
    > > in front of me was purchasing a widescreen copy of Two Towers. When
    > > she got to the counter, the checker quickly said "Oh no, you don't
    > > want this one, it's only half the screen." and then went to find a FS
    > > copy for her. The temptation to say something was overpowering, but I
    > > kept my mouth shut.

    > Why not? The cashier had no problem with interjecting her opinion, why
    > should you?
    >
    > Not that I'm trying to challenge you. :) I just would have countered
    > the remark rather than let it sit.

    I was gang-banged by two Saturday Matinee employees when I asked for the
    widescreen edition of Jurassic Park (they only had full screen). The
    male employee explained to me that I was losing more picture with the
    WS. I calmly replied that I just came to the store to purchase the WS
    JP DVD. He protested again. Then a female employee joined in and
    practically yelled at me, echoing the guy's statements. Maybe she
    thought she wasn't yelling, but it was louder than I would have liked.

    I was embarrassed and annoyed at their treatment. I can see from their
    point of view that they were trying to "educate" me, but their manner
    was out of line. I ended up buying WS DVD from another store in the
    mall. I wonder if I should have complained to the manager. Their job
    is to ring up customers' products, not gang up on customers and scare
    them away.

    I remember posting about this two or three years ago when it happened,
    but I can't remember the explanation that was given to me about Jurassic
    Park's aspect ratio. Can someone explain it again?

    Chu-Chu, Jan 12, 2004
  18. On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:53:37 GMT, Chu-Chu <>
    wrote:

    >In article <Xns946CDF19B9959linkvb06@204.186.200.105>,
    > "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote:
    >
    >> > Speaking of which, I was at Wal-Mart right before Xmas when the lady
    >> > in front of me was purchasing a widescreen copy of Two Towers. When
    >> > she got to the counter, the checker quickly said "Oh no, you don't
    >> > want this one, it's only half the screen." and then went to find a FS
    >> > copy for her. The temptation to say something was overpowering, but I
    >> > kept my mouth shut.

    >> Why not? The cashier had no problem with interjecting her opinion, why
    >> should you?
    >>
    >> Not that I'm trying to challenge you. :) I just would have countered
    >> the remark rather than let it sit.

    >I was gang-banged by two Saturday Matinee employees when I asked for the
    >widescreen edition of Jurassic Park (they only had full screen). The
    >male employee explained to me that I was losing more picture with the
    >WS. I calmly replied that I just came to the store to purchase the WS
    >JP DVD. He protested again. Then a female employee joined in and
    >practically yelled at me, echoing the guy's statements. Maybe she
    >thought she wasn't yelling, but it was louder than I would have liked.
    >
    >I was embarrassed and annoyed at their treatment. I can see from their
    >point of view that they were trying to "educate" me, but their manner
    >was out of line. I ended up buying WS DVD from another store in the
    >mall. I wonder if I should have complained to the manager. Their job
    >is to ring up customers' products, not gang up on customers and scare
    >them away.
    >
    >I remember posting about this two or three years ago when it happened,
    >but I can't remember the explanation that was given to me about Jurassic
    >Park's aspect ratio. Can someone explain it again?

    Can't find a Jurassic Park comparison sample, but there are a number
    of widescreen vs pan & scan(otherwise known as full screen) samples
    at:
    http://www.widescreen.org/examples.shtml

    Your experience with uneducated clerks at Walmart is just another
    example of what seems to be going on these days - arrogant ignorant
    people who will not listen to reason. Examples of how poor our
    education system has become. Unfortunately many of them are obtaining
    positions of power. Stay the course and do your own research.

    Charles

    Charles Eggen, Jan 13, 2004
  19. In article <>, Charles Eggen wrote:

    > Can't find a Jurassic Park comparison sample, but there are a number
    > of widescreen vs pan & scan(otherwise known as full screen) samples
    > at:
    > http://www.widescreen.org/examples.shtml
    >
    > Your experience with uneducated clerks at Walmart is just another
    > example of what seems to be going on these days - arrogant ignorant
    > people who will not listen to reason. Examples of how poor our
    > education system has become. Unfortunately many of them are obtaining
    > positions of power. Stay the course and do your own research.

    While they may be uneducated, that hardly plays into the widescreen vs
    fullscreen debate, it's simply a matter of choice. I prefer widescreen as I
    want to see the movie as it was originally intended. I know many educated
    people who choose fullscreen simply for the larger picture as they don't
    care as much about the details. My girlfriend prefers fullscreen, I prefer
    widescreen. It's hardly something which would indicate a problem in the
    education system. It has nothing to do with reason, it has to do with
    choice.

    --
    Seth H Holmes

    Seth H Holmes, Jan 13, 2004
  20. Lord Vader III

    Jim Fraas Guest

    --
    "Chu-Chu" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Xns946CDF19B9959linkvb06@204.186.200.105>,
    > "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > Speaking of which, I was at Wal-Mart right before Xmas when the lady
    > > > in front of me was purchasing a widescreen copy of Two Towers. When
    > > > she got to the counter, the checker quickly said "Oh no, you don't
    > > > want this one, it's only half the screen." and then went to find a FS
    > > > copy for her. The temptation to say something was overpowering, but I
    > > > kept my mouth shut.

    > > Why not? The cashier had no problem with interjecting her opinion, why
    > > should you?
    > >
    > > Not that I'm trying to challenge you. :) I just would have countered
    > > the remark rather than let it sit.

    > I was gang-banged by two Saturday Matinee employees when I asked for the
    > widescreen edition of Jurassic Park (they only had full screen). The
    > male employee explained to me that I was losing more picture with the
    > WS. I calmly replied that I just came to the store to purchase the WS
    > JP DVD. He protested again. Then a female employee joined in and
    > practically yelled at me, echoing the guy's statements. Maybe she
    > thought she wasn't yelling, but it was louder than I would have liked.
    >
    > I was embarrassed and annoyed at their treatment. I can see from their
    > point of view that they were trying to "educate" me, but their manner
    > was out of line. I ended up buying WS DVD from another store in the
    > mall. I wonder if I should have complained to the manager. Their job
    > is to ring up customers' products, not gang up on customers and scare
    > them away.
    >
    > I remember posting about this two or three years ago when it happened,
    > but I can't remember the explanation that was given to me about Jurassic
    > Park's aspect ratio. Can someone explain it again?

    A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
    the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's
    original intent.

    End of story!

    Getting to MY Latest Walmart visit,someone was getting a pan/scan copy of
    Seabiscut.
    I then made the comment listed above and the Walmart clerk agreeded with me
    ..
    (The head of the DVD dept at MY Walmart is Pro-widescreen) The cusomer put
    the pan/scan copy back and got a widescreen one. :)

    Jim Fraas, Jan 14, 2004