If GUI for 64 bit Different

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Papa Oomawmaw, Jul 10, 2005.

  1. Is the GUI for the 64 bit version of Windows XP Home Edition different than
    the 32 bit version? Thanks.
    Papa Oomawmaw, Jul 10, 2005

  2. "Papa Oomawmaw" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is the GUI for the 64 bit version of Windows XP Home Edition different
    > than the 32 bit version? Thanks.

    There is no x64 version of Home Edition, only Professional
    And no the GUI is the same on all x64 products as the comparable 32-bit one.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 10, 2005

  3. The only GUI difference you might notice is that you don't have the ability
    to display a web page as your desktop. Otherwise, it is the same interface to
    all intents and purposes. OTOH, it is NOT Home Edition -- it is only
    available in Professional.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 10, 2005
  4. And that Explorer extensions too.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 10, 2005
  5. That's not really different -- when someone writes an explorer extension that
    is 64 bit, it will work just fine. The problem is that the existing ones are
    pretty much all 32-bit, so they don't work. That's not really the actual
    Windows GUI.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 10, 2005
  6. Thanks for the clarification. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 10, 2005
  7. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    Thanks to all for replying. I live in the Dallas area. Fry's had an HP AMD
    3500+ on sale for $699 with a $50 rebate. In the paper it said XP Home
    Edition included. I thought it sounded like a good deal. I never dreamed
    that the OS would be 32 bit. It was explained to me that Fry's was not
    including 64 bit OS' on their 64 bit computers at this time. I didn't buy
    it. I assumed that since I was buying a 64 bit computer it would have a 64
    bit OS. To me, that is stupid to have a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine. Jeez.
    It would have been $159 for the 64 bit OS. To me the good deal went out the
    window when I learned the 64 bit OS was not included.

    I will wait on Longhorn and buy 64 bit, machine and OS, then. Thanks again.

    Papa Oomawmaw, Jul 10, 2005
  8. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    "Papa Oomawmaw" <> wrote in:

    > Thanks to all for replying. I live in the Dallas area. Fry's had an HP
    > AMD 3500+ on sale for $699 with a $50 rebate. In the paper it said XP
    > Home Edition included. I thought it sounded like a good deal. I never
    > dreamed that the OS would be 32 bit. It was explained to me that Fry's
    > was not including 64 bit OS' on their 64 bit computers at this time. I
    > didn't buy it. I assumed that since I was buying a 64 bit computer it
    > would have a 64 bit OS. To me, that is stupid to have a 32 bit OS on a
    > 64 bit machine. Jeez. It would have been $159 for the 64 bit OS. To me
    > the good deal went out the window when I learned the 64 bit OS was not
    > included.
    >
    > I will wait on Longhorn and buy 64 bit, machine and OS, then. Thanks
    > again.

    When Longhorn comes out (if any of us live that long!) it *still* won't work
    unless the manufacturers get off their butts and start creating drivers and
    software. There's a VERY good chance you'll be installing Longhorn 32 bit if
    you have some periphreals more than a couple of years old. Start saving up
    now to replace your printer, scanner, etc. with newer ones that have 64 bit
    drivers.

    You can bet your bottom dollar that Fry's, HP, Dell, Gateway, etc. will be
    selling their 64 bit computers with 32 bit Longhorn or 32 bit XP installed
    rather than listen to thousands of complaints that their
    mouse/printer/scanner/whatever won't work and their DOS games won't run!

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 10, 2005
  9. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    "David R. Norton MVP" <> wrote in message
    > When Longhorn comes out (if any of us live that long!) it *still* won't
    > work unless the manufacturers get off their butts and start creating
    > drivers and software. There's a VERY good chance you'll be installing
    > Longhorn 32 bit if you have some periphreals more than a couple of
    > years old. Start saving up now to replace your printer, scanner, etc.
    > with newer ones that have 64 bit drivers.
    >
    > You can bet your bottom dollar that Fry's, HP, Dell, Gateway, etc.
    > will be selling their 64 bit computers with 32 bit Longhorn or 32 bit
    > XP installed rather than listen to thousands of complaints that their
    > mouse/printer/scanner/whatever won't work and their DOS games
    > won't run!

    I've been wondering if releasing XP64 now to "early adopters" is a tactic to
    bring pressure against IHVs (from a vocal but small user group) to produce
    64-bit drivers so that this problem won't exist when Longhorn is finally
    available.

    Stephen Sprunk, Jul 11, 2005
  10. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    Well, I read that all Longhorn SKU's except for Starter Edition will be 64
    bit enabled, although users will have the option at install to choose 32 bit
    or 64 bit. Lets hope everyone who has a 64 bit chooses 64 bit Longhorn.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  11. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    By the Longhorn timeframe things should be very different.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 11, 2005
  12. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in:

    > Lets hope everyone who has a 64 bit chooses 64 bit Longhorn.

    Why? Most of us want our hardware and software to function w/o buying
    new stuff. I'll be running XP 32 or Windows 2000 until I know there are
    drivers and software available w/o me buying anything new and I know that
    isn't going to happen so it looks like X64 will remain on my HD as a
    curiosity only and Longhorn? We'll see.

    BTW, I'm not sure about Longhorn, haven't seen it yet, but I know that
    several Linux distros are both 32 and 64 bit and you don't have any choice as
    to what's installed. If a 64 bit processor is found, the distro will install
    the 64 bit version. That's OK because Linux has all the necessary drivers,
    it lacks only the necessary software for me to be using it more.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  13. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in:

    > By the Longhorn timeframe things should be very different.

    Yes, at current speed the sun may not last that long! <just kidding, I'm sure
    Longhorn will be ready in less than a year... or two... or three.. or...>

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  14. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    Fry's was doing you, and themselves, a favour. While they could have included
    XP Professional x64 Edition on the computer for a reasonable cost, it would
    certainly be more than XP Home Edition -- Professional is always more than
    Home Edition, whether 32 bit or 64 bit. And there is no 64-bit Home Edition,
    as discussed earlier. But if they had included x64 Edition, you would have
    needed to be sure all your peripherals would work correctly (highly
    unlikely), and they would have had to include drivers for all the components
    of the machine (also highly unlikely.) We're still very much in the early
    adopters stage with x64 Edition, and it will be a while till things all work
    as we'd like. Choosing x64 Edition at this point in time should only be for
    those who understand the realities. OTOH, x64 offers great promise for anyone
    who has been working with a memory constrained application, while opening up
    the possibilities for many more new applications that haven't been thought
    of, yet.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  15. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    I'll probably be running both 32-bit and 64-bit side by side for a while. But
    not 2000. My last machine on that is long gone. And I suspect I'll be running
    Longhorn (in either 64 or 32 bit), rather sooner than later. But then, OSs
    are what I do. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  16. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in:

    > But then, OSs are what I do. ;)

    Ditto, but not non-functional ones.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  17. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    Stephen Sprunk wrote:
    > I've been wondering if releasing XP64 now to "early adopters" is a tactic to
    > bring pressure against IHVs (from a vocal but small user group) to produce
    > 64-bit drivers so that this problem won't exist when Longhorn is finally
    > available.

    Yes, I think that is the main reasons of x64. I just hope that early
    adopters don't feel badly about paying full price. After all, most users
    still need a 32bit installation, and therefore another license. But I
    guess early adopters are used to it...

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Jul 11, 2005
  18. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    Well, I've certainly worked on ones I would have had to describe as very
    non-functional. And x64 Edition doesn't even begin to qualify. But then, I'm
    used to this sort of thing -- I buy and build my components and machines with
    driver issues in mind. So my printer is both PCL and Postscript, and sits on
    a network IP address. And doesn't do anything but print. ;) My network uses a
    router to connect to the world, not a modem, or a DSL card, or anything like
    that. My machines have all, until very recently, had mid-range SCSI adapters
    and drives. My video is always one level below the current hot stuff. And my
    NICs generally from Intel, though x64 has pushed me away from them, actually.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  19. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    Charlie, you would think that availability of x64 being restricted to the
    pc-builder channel would be the first clue to folks to research into the
    reasons why. By the time I ordered the new computer with x64 I knew why and
    knew I was not putting the old Win32 computer out to pasture anytime soon.
    As a result I am having a blast because I love a new toy and there isn't
    anything I cannot do that I was doing before. I just sometimes still do
    things on the old box. No big deal.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 11, 2005
  20. Re: Is GUI for 64 bit Different

    Yes, this is exactly why it's OEM/System Builder versions only. And while I
    haven't moved full time to x64 yet, it's only a matter of a few days until I
    get around to it. I'd have done it by now, but I'm in the middle of a project
    and can't afford the transition time.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005