If Ebay weren't run by a bunch of crooks.....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Mar 13, 2006

  2. Rich

    cjcampbell Guest

    cjcampbell, Mar 13, 2006

  3. Rich

    Pete D Guest

    "cjcampbell" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Rich wrote:
    >> They'd have software to detect this kind of posting and delete it
    >> automatically.
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Digital-R...599285590QQcategoryZ31388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    > I must be missing something obvious. What was wrong with it?

    Your kidding or very stupid.

    Only 10 feedbacks, alarms ringing a little.
    10 feedbacks all from users no longer registered, maybe coincidence,
    probably not.
    Item in China, ding, ding, ding, very bloody loudly I would think.

    The above took about 1.27 seconds to figure out.
    Pete D, Mar 13, 2006
  4. Rich

    nellybly Guest

    nellybly, Mar 13, 2006
  5. Rich

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 12 Mar 2006 21:46:08 -0800, "cjcampbell"
    <> wrote:

    >Rich wrote:
    >> They'd have software to detect this kind of posting and delete it
    >> automatically.
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Digital-R...599285590QQcategoryZ31388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    >I must be missing something obvious. What was wrong with it?

    When I looked at the auction, there was just over 2 hrs to go, and one
    bid, at 300 Euros.
    I seriously doubt that if that were the only (and thus winning) bid,
    the winner would get his XT.
    Yet eBay rules are quite specific in that the seller can't cancel an
    auction just because the winning bid isn't high enough, and this is
    not an auction with a minimum.
    The auction is in Euros, and the camera is located in China.
    It just smacks of fraud all around.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Mar 13, 2006
  6. Rich

    WTF Guest

    WTF, Mar 13, 2006
  7. Rich

    cjcampbell Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On 12 Mar 2006 21:46:08 -0800, "cjcampbell"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >Rich wrote:
    > >> They'd have software to detect this kind of posting and delete it
    > >> automatically.
    > >>
    > >> http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Digital-R...599285590QQcategoryZ31388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    > >I must be missing something obvious. What was wrong with it?

    > When I looked at the auction, there was just over 2 hrs to go, and one
    > bid, at 300 Euros.
    > I seriously doubt that if that were the only (and thus winning) bid,
    > the winner would get his XT.
    > Yet eBay rules are quite specific in that the seller can't cancel an
    > auction just because the winning bid isn't high enough, and this is
    > not an auction with a minimum.
    > The auction is in Euros, and the camera is located in China.
    > It just smacks of fraud all around.

    Thanks, guys. I don't think I have ever purchased anything on eBay and
    only sold two items, so I am not real familiar with how it works.
    cjcampbell, Mar 13, 2006
  8. Rich

    David Amos Guest

    David Amos, Mar 13, 2006
  9. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Mar 13, 2006
  10. Rich

    Guest

    On 12 Mar 2006 21:39:26 -0800, "Rich" <> wrote:

    > They'd have software to detect this kind of posting and delete it
    > automatically.

    Do what I do.

    Avoid Ebay.

    I'd rather pay a few dollars more and have peace of mind.
    , Mar 13, 2006
  11. Rich

    John Fryatt Guest

    wrote:
    > On 12 Mar 2006 21:39:26 -0800, "Rich" <> wrote:
    >
    >> They'd have software to detect this kind of posting and delete it
    >> automatically.

    > Do what I do.
    >
    > Avoid Ebay.
    >
    > I'd rather pay a few dollars more and have peace of mind.

    I've used eBay many times, both for buying and selling, without being
    conned. You just need to apply a bit of nous, and if anything looks
    suspicious leave it alone.
    John Fryatt, Mar 13, 2006
  12. Rich

    Bigguy Guest

    Naah... just us a bit of commom.

    I've had many excellent bargains off eBay.

    Out of 50-60 transactions I've only had 2 real problems - better than many
    mail order or 'real world' shops.

    Just make sure you check the feedback in detail and be a bit savvy - and
    don't send money orders to China or Nigeria... ;-)

    Guy

    Bigguy, Mar 13, 2006
  13. Rich

    george Guest

    "Bigguy" <> wrote in message
    > Naah... just us a bit of commom.
    >
    > I've had many excellent bargains off eBay.
    >
    > Out of 50-60 transactions I've only had 2 real problems - better than many
    > mail order or 'real world' shops.
    >
    > Just make sure you check the feedback in detail and be a bit savvy - and
    > don't send money orders to China or Nigeria... ;-)

    And, the best bit of protection is to use the U.S. Mail to send a postal
    money order for items...that protects both legitimate buyers and sellers and
    makes the transaction subject to U.S. federal postal fraud laws (form 8165
    available online for problems and they DO take it very seriously).

    george, Mar 13, 2006
  14. Rich

    DFS Guest

    > And, the best bit of protection is to use the U.S. Mail to send a postal
    > money order for items...that protects both legitimate buyers and sellers
    > and makes the transaction subject to U.S. federal postal fraud laws (form
    > 8165 available online for problems and they DO take it very seriously).
    >
    >> Guy

    I posted to this or one of the for sale groups some time ago, looking for
    anyone who had ever recovered on a shady deal thanks to a report to the
    postal inspection service. There were no posts in response.

    Fact is folks, the USPS isn't going to get too excited about catching a
    crook who screwed you on a few hundred dollar purchase. They think that
    they have bigger fish to fry, but you don't read about a lot of them being
    caught either.

    Again, anyone got a story about how they PERSONALLY were made whole by
    involvement of the postal authorities ??? No friend of a friend of a
    friend, urban legend type reports please.

    ds
    DFS, Mar 13, 2006
  15. Rich

    Nikon User Guest

    In article <>,
    "Rich" <> wrote:

    > They'd have software to detect this kind of posting and delete it
    > automatically.

    They did delete it.
    Nikon User, Mar 14, 2006
  16. Rich

    David Amos Guest

    "Nikon User" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Rich" <> wrote:
    >
    >> They'd have software to detect this kind of posting and delete it
    >> automatically.

    > They did delete it.

    Because yesterday morning I told them about it.
    Seriously folks, there is no software that can do this. But we can. If you
    see something suspicious, tell eBay, it's a simple process and they DO
    investigate.

    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, smells and sounds like a duck,
    what are the chances it's a fish?
    David Amos, Mar 14, 2006
  17. Rich

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > On 12 Mar 2006 21:39:26 -0800, "Rich" <> wrote:
    >
    > > They'd have software to detect this kind of posting and delete it
    > > automatically.

    > Do what I do.
    >
    > Avoid Ebay.
    >
    > I'd rather pay a few dollars more and have peace of mind.

    ebay provides a service that is impossible by other means.

    Many friends buy old books and annuals. Trying to search for these
    things other than online is extremely time-consuming and probably
    useless.

    ebay exists on a basis of trust. there will always be con-artists and
    scammers trying to skim off some of that money going to ebay - if the
    thing on sale looks too good to be true, it usually is.
    Stewy, Mar 16, 2006
  18. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:08:08 +0900, Stewy <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 12 Mar 2006 21:39:26 -0800, "Rich" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > They'd have software to detect this kind of posting and delete it
    >> > automatically.

    >> Do what I do.
    >>
    >> Avoid Ebay.
    >>
    >> I'd rather pay a few dollars more and have peace of mind.

    >ebay provides a service that is impossible by other means.
    >
    >Many friends buy old books and annuals. Trying to search for these
    >things other than online is extremely time-consuming and probably
    >useless.
    >
    >ebay exists on a basis of trust. there will always be con-artists and
    >scammers trying to skim off some of that money going to ebay - if the
    >thing on sale looks too good to be true, it usually is.

    There is abebooks.com. They tie-in with thousands of bookshops in the
    U.S. and prices can be exceptionally good for some things.
    -Rich
    Rich, Mar 16, 2006
  19. Rich

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Rich <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:08:08 +0900, Stewy <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > wrote:

    > >> Do what I do.
    > >>
    > >> Avoid Ebay.
    > >>
    > >> I'd rather pay a few dollars more and have peace of mind.

    > >ebay provides a service that is impossible by other means.
    > >
    > >Many friends buy old books and annuals. Trying to search for these
    > >things other than online is extremely time-consuming and probably
    > >useless.
    > >
    > >ebay exists on a basis of trust. there will always be con-artists and
    > >scammers trying to skim off some of that money going to ebay - if the
    > >thing on sale looks too good to be true, it usually is.

    > There is abebooks.com. They tie-in with thousands of bookshops in the
    > U.S. and prices can be exceptionally good for some things.
    > -Rich

    Any idea if such a site exists for UK books?
    Stewy, Mar 17, 2006
  20. Rich

    Stewy Guest

    Stewy, Mar 17, 2006